Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron Alpha 2

Phoronix: Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron Alpha 2

The second alpha release for the Ubuntu Hardy Heron family is now available. In addition to the new Ubuntu 8.04 Alpha 2 build, also updated are Kubuntu, Edubuntu, JeOS, Xunbuntu, Gobuntu, and Ubuntu Studio. The major changes impacting all of these distribution derivatives is a massive Debian update and switching over to the Linux 2.6.24 kernel. With Ubuntu 8.04, PulseAudio is also the default sound server. While KDE 4.0 packages are available for both Kubuntu 7.10 and Kubuntu 8.04, Kubuntu 8.04 Alpha 2 uses KDE 3.5.8 by default. In this release, some of the other updated packages include Amarok, Qt, Dikigam, and there is also Adobe Flash support in Konqueror.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Let's hope Kubuntu 8.04 Alpha 3 will be running KDE 4.0 gold, that will be exciting times!

Comment

Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron wont include KDE4 by default, but packages will be available and perhaps another live cd image including kde4.

Comment

I hope Kubuntu becomes the main distribution once KDE4 takes over, instead of Ubuntu

Comment

Kubuntu will not, but it would be awesome if it would. KDE > Gnome, KDE4 >>> Gnome

Comment

First of all let me just say I am a KDE user and have been for a long time.
            KDE4 I think still has some work to do before it can take over anything, I have been running upto date svn builds and theres still things to me that seem "missing". At the same time I can happily use most things, but I feel the desktop area, panel and sound system still need some work. The sound issues with small sound files cutting out early is something that as already been delayed until after release. Its a small issue but carrys a small annoyance that builds up (I have now disabled all system sound events).
            Last edited by HighHo; 23 December 2007, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Well, I'm talking about April 2009 anyway
              BTW, I'm glad that Kubuntu gets some attention here at Phoronix. Hopefully it keeps going like this.

Comment

Just to add a small bit of news here Kubuntu 8.04 will not be LTS. Ubuntu 8.04 will still be released as LTS.

Comment

Working...
                X