Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu's Utopic Unicorn 14.10 Beta 1 Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu's Utopic Unicorn 14.10 Beta 1 Released

    Phoronix: Ubuntu's Utopic Unicorn 14.10 Beta 1 Released

    Participating Ubuntu Linux flavors are doing their first beta releases today of the Utopic Unicorn, a.k.a. *buntu 14.10...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc3NTQ

  • #2
    Does it run systemd now? What kernel version?

    Comment


    • #3
      no

      3.16.x

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by tjaalton View Post
        no

        3.16.x
        It seems like systemd is installed though, but just doesn't start with "init=/usr/lib/systemd". You can type systemd-<tab> and it will show you all of the systemd tools on the live environment.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          It seems like systemd is installed though, but just doesn't start with "init=/usr/lib/systemd". You can type systemd-<tab> and it will show you all of the systemd tools on the live environment.
          you'd want systemd-sysv for the init, it's not going to be default in 14.10 as you can see from the list of packages that'll get removed if you try install it.. and it's still very much WIP

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tjaalton View Post
            you'd want systemd-sysv for the init, it's not going to be default in 14.10 as you can see from the list of packages that'll get removed if you try install it.. and it's still very much WIP
            I tried the Debian Jessia Beta, which now uses systemd by default and it worked pretty well. Is there a list of stuff that doesn't work on Ubuntu with systemd?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
              I tried the Debian Jessia Beta, which now uses systemd by default and it worked pretty well. Is there a list of stuff that doesn't work on Ubuntu with systemd?
              It's easier for Debian to switch from sysvinit, but work done there doesn't necessarily help on Ubuntu which migrates from upstart.. a lot of upstart jobs need to be rewritten for systemd and so on. I actually tried systemd-sysv on Utopic, and the machine failed to reboot because it "failed to talk to init". So there are lots of integration issues to be resolved..

              here's some blueprint with pointers for the interested
              https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubu...emd-transition

              and some bugs that are related
              https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+b...g=systemd-boot

              Comment


              • #8
                I've been running systemd since May

                Originally posted by tjaalton View Post
                you'd want systemd-sysv for the init, it's not going to be default in 14.10 as you can see from the list of packages that'll get removed if you try install it.. and it's still very much WIP
                This package is the one that overwrites init with a link to /lib/systemd/systemd, thus conflicts with Upstart. I don't have it installed, but boot with init=/lib/systemd/systemd in the kernel command line, with systemd in a Dracut initramfs as well, and on an encrypted filesystem with my multi disk unlocking code ported to systemd as well. Lots of hacking back in May to make it work, but it was with Dracut and Plymouth that I had all the issues, systemd just needed me to make sure there were no unused/invalid entries in /etc/crypttab.

                I have had to pin systemd once when a bad set of updates came out, but what I am running right now is current as of last Saturday (Aug 23,2014). I wonder if some recent bug has crept in stopping recognition of systemd when booting from a Upstart initramfs, and done so in the last week. One machine I has to set up quickly uses a normal Ubuntu initramfs but transfers control to systemd without issues, again last updated last Saturday.

                The difference between Upstart and Systemd booting is obvious on my machines as console text is completely different, plymouth behavior is different-and the encrypted RAID for /home comes up with a different /dev/md(something) device name and has to be manually opened in Upstart.

                Biggest hassle I have to deal withright now is invoking Dracut from a script on the desktop to make my initramfs every time it is updated.

                Comment


                • #9
                  xorg 1.16

                  It's still missing: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...ly/038411.html

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    upgradeable kubuntu plasma 14.10 beta?

                    Hey all,
                    I was just wondering if I installed kubuntu 14.10 beta KDE 5 edition if i would later be able to upgrade to the main Kubuntu releases, or is kubuntu 14.10 plasma beta STRICTLY for previewing purposes? i really can't wait for KDE 5

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      That should ne easy

                      Originally posted by ArkaneCow View Post
                      Hey all,
                      I was just wondering if I installed kubuntu 14.10 beta KDE 5 edition if i would later be able to upgrade to the main Kubuntu releases, or is kubuntu 14.10 plasma beta STRICTLY for previewing purposes? i really can't wait for KDE 5
                      Ubuntu is not like Windoze: Keep up with the updates and you will automatically have the main release when its packages hit the repos.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X