CentOS 7 Release Relives RHEL7 As A Community Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by r0ck View Post
    Think about it that way, this distribution is made so enterprise operations can have long-term reliable software that doesn't change much and just performs without anyone touching it. I work with CentOS all the time professionally and it's very nice. You don't get bleeding edge features or snazzy looks like with some modern distros out of the box but you can install anything you like after the fact, if you absolutely want to. With the EPEL repository (Extra packages for Enterprise Linux afaik) you can get pretty much anything a "normal" user would need. Bug- and Security Fixes are backported to the supported kernels and packages so you don't have to worry about that either. It's got SE Linux and is very stable from what I can tell.

I run a few productive machines on CentOS 6.5 and so far not one has made any problems even though I regularly update the kernels and packages every 2-3 months.

It's definitely worth a shot. It's not as pretty or simple to use as some other distros but other than those it's rock solid.
    Centos can be a great foundation for a home media and file server where you pretty much can set it up once and then forget about it aside from updating it every so often. Also it can be a great learning tool for people aspiring to become sysadmins.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
      Centos can be a great foundation for a home media and file server where you pretty much can set it up once and then forget about it aside from updating it every so often. Also it can be a great learning tool for people aspiring to become sysadmins.
      Kind of why I'm doing it... well okay, I already am a system administrator, but I spent most of my career using Debian (mainly because a smart administrator is a lazy administrator, and Debian has tons of pre-packaged software that just works 90% of the time with an apt-get install. The other 10% requires a bit of configuration and it works 'til the end of time, and can upgrade between major releases).

I recently started a job where they're more or less standardizing upon CentOS. So I figured I'd try out the newer version and see where it's going. usually CentOS/RHEL and Debian Stable are about the same version wise on software. Seems this time it's a little out of whack, not sure if it's because RHEL 7 took so long to release, or because Debian 8.0 is just right around the corner. Probably the latter, but I think Debian 8.0 is going to land with the 3.14 kernel, rather than 3.10.

Comment

Working...
      X