Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
    Linux needs variety
    Linux is full of variety, maybe get out of oh so awesome ubuntu world and see it yourself.

and gain an upper hand over other operating systems, otherwise it will end up behind even Windows in terms of "new", most users want eye candy and extra functionality, they want modern look and design and usability that makes Linux superior to other operating systems, not only technically but visually too. Which is why I like what Canonical is trying to do, good things will come out of it for all, one way or the other, Wayland is the best example, Canonical's development of Mir greatly increased the speed of Wayland development. Even if Mir fails it will still be the factor that brought Wayland to Linux users faster. Competition is good for all.
    MIR has nothing to do with wayland beeing developed faster. And talking about competition, i bet you are using words that came from Marks mouth. Competition is Microsoft, Apple. If Canonical treats every other linux distirubution or project as competition then why on Earth they are using competition code? MIR, bazaar, unity is not competition - it's FRAGMENTATION.

But I digress, my point was that new ideas, even radical ones like Mir are vital in keeping Linux fresh and modern, competition makes developers think harder and come up with new solutions and design. Thinking in camp terms, us against them is never good because Linux development is intertwined and all benefit directly or indirectly when someone makes something good. I remember how people argued in the past about which desktop environment is better, Gnome or KDE, or rpm vs deb, or Debian vs Suse and the like.
    What's radical about MIR? Saying that they will support wayland and after that they come up with prealpha MIR and say wayland is bad by design? Mind you, wayland was years ahead when MIR came out, but i guess you don't care.
    Last edited by phoen1x; 04-26-2014, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
      Which is why I like what Canonical is trying to do, good things will come out of it for all, one way or the other, Wayland is the best example, Canonical's development of Mir greatly increased the speed of Wayland development. Even if Mir fails it will still be the factor that brought Wayland to Linux users faster. Competition is good for all.
      Ok, I wasn't going to bother with this thread anymore but I just can't let this pass...

This is entirely false. Pure hogwash. There is no evidence that the development of Mir would have caused any kind of "increased speed" in Wayland development. That's an entirely unsubstantiated claim. If anything, it's the exact opposite... if Canonical had put their resources into contributing to Wayland development (like they promised they would do back in 2010), Wayland would have been developed much faster.

What you're perceiving as "increased speed in Wayland development" is just that, perception. Wayland has been steadily developed for several years, it's just that earlier a large part of that work was the boring, invisible groundwork with no flashy updates, in the graphics stack and elsewhere. This was necessary to make a modern graphics system possible in the first place (Mir wouldn't be possible without it either). Once that work was done, they entered into a much more user-visible phase. That's also when Mir came along, piggybacking on all that groundwork done earlier... and this is what leads to the perception that Wayland "sped up" - it simply entered a different phase in development, and Mir "coincided" with that...

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
        You fail at logic, oh brave Internet Warrior.

The positive claim made by the other party was (paraphrased) "many people dislike the direction of Canonical". This is a claim that is demonstrably true: even on this forum, there are many people who dislike the direction of Canonical. Boom, statement validated.

You asked for numerical evidence to support a specific claim, when no specific claim was made.

Ok. How many toaster ovens that work by shoving a huge black dildo up your ass and jumping up and down have you tried? Oh, there's none out there? Well, in that case you can't prove that they're a bad idea... so obviously they're going to be a huge success and everyone is going to want one. In fact, I can just hear the footsteps of all the millions of people running to dump their old electric toaster ovens and start demanding for these new assrape-powered ovens. Because logic!
        If you are going to argue based on logic, it is best not to use straw men and anecdotes to support your case brave internet warrior. What little numerical evidence exists for distribution usage among the general populace (like the steam survey, which frustrating as it is, is a statistically valid sampling of the steam user base) show that ubuntu versions are quite widely used at least on linux gaming setups.

In no logical universe does a "toaster ovens that work by shoving a huge black dildo up your ass and jumping up and down" equate to an OS with unified code base across platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by allenmaher View Post
          If you are going to argue based on logic, it is best not to use straw men and anecdotes to support your case brave internet warrior. What little numerical evidence exists for distribution usage among the general populace (like the steam survey, which frustrating as it is, is a statistically valid sampling of the steam user base) show that ubuntu versions are quite widely used at least on linux gaming setups.
          I'm going to give you a homework assignment to think hard about why none of what you just said had any relevance to the post you quoted. Show your work.

In no logical universe does a "toaster ovens that work by shoving a huge black dildo up your ass and jumping up and down" equate to an OS with unified code base across platforms.
          For bonus points, you can also look up the terms "analogy" and "hyperbole", explain what they mean and how they are used as rhetorical devices.

Comment

Working...
          X