Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DNF 0.5 Yum Replacement Now Supports Groups

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DNF 0.5 Yum Replacement Now Supports Groups

    Phoronix: DNF 0.5 Yum Replacement Now Supports Groups

    DNF, the next-generation replacement to Yum on Red Hat systems, now has support for groups and environments...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY3MTA

  • #2
    1/2 OT

    Any yum-pros here?

    I'm searching for a way to setup 32-bit diskless installations on a 64-bit RHEL6 (clone).
    Those will be transferred to a remote server.

    So far I have not been able to find a way to override the $basearch (etc.) variables.
    They seem to be always expanded from the system architecture of the workstation.
    However, I don't want to setup a 32-bit system solely for 32-bit diskless configurations.

    Manually replacing the variables in a separate yum config file and .repo files is, well, hackish.
    It seems to work, but I'm not sure if it has side effects that I have not yet stumbled across.

    I'd be grateful for your input!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by entropy View Post
      Any yum-pros here?

      I'm searching for a way to setup 32-bit diskless installations on a 64-bit RHEL6 (clone).
      Those will be transferred to a remote server.

      So far I have not been able to find a way to override the $basearch (etc.) variables.
      They seem to be always expanded from the system architecture of the workstation.
      However, I don't want to setup a 32-bit system solely for 32-bit diskless configurations.

      Manually replacing the variables in a separate yum config file and .repo files is, well, hackish.
      It seems to work, but I'm not sure if it has side effects that I have not yet stumbled across.

      I'd be grateful for your input!
      You could try using setarch or install the multi-lib libraries but ideally the apps should match the base platform.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
        You could try using setarch or install the multi-lib libraries but ideally the apps should match the base platform.
        Thank you very much, Rahul!

        setarch sounds like it provides exactly what I'm looking for.
        Shame on me, I didn't know about that command.
        I'll try it tomorrow.

        Thanks again!

        P.S. Wouldn't it make sense to have a parameter to yum/dnf which allows overriding the architecture directly?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by entropy View Post
          Thank you very much, Rahul!

          setarch sounds like it provides exactly what I'm looking for.
          Shame on me, I didn't know about that command.
          I'll try it tomorrow.

          Thanks again!

          P.S. Wouldn't it make sense to have a parameter to yum/dnf which allows overriding the architecture directly?
          don't know if that is a common enough use case that calls for integration but if you feel so, you can request it

          Comment

          Working...
          X