Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
    You can always do it manually by using sed, update, and dist-upgrade.

Code:
    sudo sed 's/precise/trusty/g' -i /etc/apt/sources.list
    sudo sed 's/precise/trusty/g' -i /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Bad idea to use sed in case there is more to the upgrade than just package updates. Upgrade tools can handle "weird" changes that may be beyond a simple "update this package or remove this one."
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Kubuntu 14.04 LTS released

At the same time, Kubuntu 14.04 LTS has been released, featuring:

- The latest KDE Applications and Platform, including KDE Connect:
      Install KDE Connect on your desktop and your Android mobile phone to integrate the two. Text messages will appear on your screen, files can be shared, your music can be controlled from your phone and your music will be turned off when you receive a phone call.
      - Commercial Support.
      - Mozilla Firefox 28 as default web browser.
      - All new Driver Manager.

More changes (and screenshots :-) ) can be seen in http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-14.04

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        We have already written over 100 articles covering Ubuntu 14.04's development with new features
        Basically, nothing much... A few upstream packages changes, notably kernel updates. There's more if you are coming from 12.04 but 13.10 users will barely notice any differences.

Comment

Nice easter egg for April!
          Will install in my desktop.

Comment

Smoothest upgrade I ever had with Ubuntu. And all works without any hasle. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
              i really dont think so...

To those who want the update now, you can go into software & updates and change the server from your country to the main server, that should work.
              If you can wait, it should take about 2 days or so i think.
              You really should think so...

Take a look at this question on Ask Ubuntu and its most voted answer. Also there are a couple similar questions on the right side under "Linked".

Why is ?No new release found? when upgrading from a LTS to the next?

Steve Langasek Ubuntu Engineering Foundations team manager:

Upgrades between LTS releases are not enabled by default until the first point release, 12.04.1, scheduled for July. It is recommended that most LTS users wait until then before upgrading to 12.04.
              However as you can see by looking at the most voted answer to the question above you can force upgrade with one of this commands.
              Then if you want to upgrade from 12.04 LTS to 14.04 LTS you have to use one of this commands:

Code:
              sudo update-manager -d
              Code:
              sudo do-release-upgrade -d

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                You can always do it manually by using sed, update, and dist-upgrade.

Code:
                sudo sed 's/precise/trusty/g' -i /etc/apt/sources.list
                sudo sed 's/precise/trusty/g' -i /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
                sudo apt-get update
                sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                It's usually better to use do-release-upgrade which downloads the ubuntu-release-upgrader package and runs it, the upgrader has various pre and post hooks to check or change things on the system - stuff that can't be done, or is difficult to do, at a package level.

Comment

Originally posted by Bestia View Post
                  You really should think so...

Take a look at this question on Ask Ubuntu and its most voted answer. Also there are a couple similar questions on the right side under "Linked".

Why is ?No new release found? when upgrading from a LTS to the next?

Steve Langasek Ubuntu Engineering Foundations team manager:

Then if you want to upgrade from 12.04 LTS to 14.04 LTS you have to use one of this commands:

Code:
                  sudo update-manager -d
                  Code:
                  sudo do-release-upgrade -d
                  yah i saw it after i posted that
                  kinda makes sense, gives them a bit more time to polish i guess.
                  i dont remember them doing this on other LTS's tho

Comment

Working...
                  X