Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FFmpeg May Be On Its Way To Returning To Debian

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FFmpeg May Be On Its Way To Returning To Debian

    Phoronix: FFmpeg May Be On Its Way To Returning To Debian

    When FFmpeg was forked into Libav, Debian ended up taking the route of packaging and shipping Libav in place of FFmpeg. However, there's many people that prefer FFmpeg to Libav with FFmpeg's continued progress, and now this multimedia project may be on its way to finding itself in the Debian archive once again...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYxNjA

  • #2
    I've been happily using debmultimedia repo to replace libav with ffmpeg. Debian should either switch back to ffmpeg or leave well enough alone. Trying to have them side by side in the main repo sounds problematic since they're just different enough to cause problems.

    If Debian wants to support both libav and ffmpeg, I think they'd be better served by donating bandwidth/money/dev time to the debmultimedia project. It is a very good repo and causes fewer packaging issues then Debian sid itself.

    Comment


    • #3
      I prefer ffmpeg, why they chose libav in the first place is beyond me.

      Comment


      • #4
        For those who are wondering why ffmpeg was forked, a bit of history : http://blog.pkh.me/p/13-the-ffmpeg-libav-situation.html

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
          I prefer ffmpeg, why they chose libav in the first place is beyond me.
          It looked like a good idea at the time. libav was made to have a better governing model to improve code quality, reduce the bus factor and make everything more democratic/meritocratic.
          Unfortunately, it turns out it ended up being bureucratic instead, with too strict rules (I hear they even required approval for whitespace cleanup patches), while ffmpeg sorted their issues out on their own and pragmatically carried on, thus spurring more development on the ffmpeg side and leaving libav behind in terms of features (due to their stringent rules it takes a long time to merge ffmpeg changes, if at all). Thus now it's a better idea to use ffmpeg instead of libav.

          On other Debian news, there will be an IRC meeting tomorrow, and the init coupling question is on the table. Given the current situation, it might result in some surprising changes... Hopefully not, but a lot can happen in an IRC meeting. If anything, I can see Jackson starting a GR shortly after the meeting.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DanL View Post
            I've been happily using debmultimedia repo to replace libav with ffmpeg. Debian should either switch back to ffmpeg or leave well enough alone. Trying to have them side by side in the main repo sounds problematic since they're just different enough to cause problems.

            If Debian wants to support both libav and ffmpeg, I think they'd be better served by donating bandwidth/money/dev time to the debmultimedia project. It is a very good repo and causes fewer packaging issues then Debian sid itself.
            My own experiences with deb-multimedia.org (DMO) were the other way around. I used it for a very long time, and appreciated the work Christian Marillat was putting into it, but eventually most packages that I wanted out of it made their way into Debian proper, and all I was left with were conflicts and incompatibilites due to DMO packages bringing in ffmpeg as a dependency and official Debian packages that were built against libav not working with ffmpeg (and DMO not having equivalent replacements). I don't want to take sides in the ffmpeg vs libav war - I've read enough to see that there's deep issues involved that an outsider has no business getting into - but when it comes to a working system that has the functionality I need, in modernity DMO simply does not solve enough problems to justify the additional problems it causes me.

            Comment


            • #7
              Remember wodim?

              http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/linux-dist.html


              That was a good year of fun.

              Almost as fun when Intel forked up Xorg., ie Ubuntu 9.04/9.10

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Serge View Post
                My own experiences with deb-multimedia.org (DMO) were the other way around. I used it for a very long time, and appreciated the work Christian Marillat was putting into it, but eventually most packages that I wanted out of it made their way into Debian proper, and all I was left with were conflicts and incompatibilites due to DMO packages bringing in ffmpeg as a dependency and official Debian packages that were built against libav not working with ffmpeg (and DMO not having equivalent replacements). I don't want to take sides in the ffmpeg vs libav war - I've read enough to see that there's deep issues involved that an outsider has no business getting into - but when it comes to a working system that has the functionality I need, in modernity DMO simply does not solve enough problems to justify the additional problems it causes me.
                Ditto on your experiences.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by squirrl View Post
                  Ugh, I never knew that. Both sides are insane, I'm just happy libburnia exists...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hah, Debian still ships wodim?

                    My totals:
                    wodim: 2 coasters, stopped using after that
                    schily: 0 coasters in 10+ years

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      git clone ffmpeg && ./configure --enable-shared && make && make install

                      Fixed that for you

                      Happy to hear this is being discussed again. I hate politics. LibAV would be and 'ok' FORK, if it wasn't done in such a sleezy way replacing proper ffmpeg.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Serge View Post
                        all I was left with were conflicts and incompatibilites due to DMO packages bringing in ffmpeg as a dependency and official Debian packages that were built against libav not working with ffmpeg (and DMO not having equivalent replacements).
                        I'm curious what branch of Debian you were running and how long ago this was. In my experience, dmo has been packaging more and more ffmpeg/libav programs. Can you name specific ones that dmo was lacking?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by squirrl View Post
                          http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/linux-dist.html


                          That was a good year of fun.

                          Almost as fun when Intel forked up Xorg., ie Ubuntu 9.04/9.10

                          I thought about this exact same thing.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                            Phoronix: FFmpeg May Be On Its Way To Returning To Debian

                            there's many people that prefer FFmpeg to Libav with FFmpeg's continued progress,

                            http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYxNjA
                            Yep, and that's one of reasons I left the Debian/Buntu's. It created a horrendous mess for many of the av/apps too.
                            Well, I surely hope Debian has finally seen the light now !
                            When Debian and their idiotic/egotistical dev's started "forking" around with FFmpeg, and forcing their Users to use this outdated garbage called libAV, aka via avconv,..., that's when I said adios amigos

                            If, and when Debian decidies to finally bring back the much more progressively uptodate original "FFmpeg" then I might give them a look again, until then, Arch rules.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Well today ffmpeg returned to Debian, just goes into Sid

                              https://packages.qa.debian.org/f/ffm...6T224921Z.html

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X