Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.12 Might Come To Fedora 20, Packages Available

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GNOME 3.12 Might Come To Fedora 20, Packages Available

    Phoronix: GNOME 3.12 Might Come To Fedora 20, Packages Available

    With Fedora 21 not being released until at least August, some developers are working on possibly shipping the GNOME 3.12 packages in Fedora 20 as a stable release update...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYxMDk

  • #2
    Looking forward to GNOME 3.12, it's been a long wait.

    Comment


    • #3
      Fedora rolling release. I say bring it on!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Honton View Post
        Thos looks like an one-time thing before fedora.next. Anyway it would sooo nice to se this as a fedora 20 update on release day.
        Fedora 20 was released months ago, and Fedora 21 will have Gnome 3.12 by default.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by r1348 View Post
          Fedora 20 was released months ago, and Fedora 21 will have Gnome 3.12 by default.
          I'm pretty sure they meant on Gnome 3.12 release day

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
            Fedora rolling release. I say bring it on!
            Isn't rawhide already the RR aspect of Fedora?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BSDude View Post
              Isn't rawhide already the RR aspect of Fedora?
              It's not kept in a usable state. It's not even as stable as the Arch Linux testing repositories because it's treated as a staging ground.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by strcat View Post
                It's not kept in a usable state. It's not even as stable as the Arch Linux testing repositories because it's treated as a staging ground.
                Actually things have improved greatly over the past few years. Clearly, a lot depends on which desktop environment you are running. Gnome, from my experience, tends to be the most fragile, since they release a lot of unstable releases on the path to the next stable release, and they will all land in rawhide. Other environments, KDE for one, tend to only make releases towards the end of the development cycle, where things are really pretty stable. I've been running rawhide / KDE for the past three years or so, and only got bitten only once (because I missed an alert message on the fedora-devel list).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by smani View Post
                  Actually things have improved greatly over the past few years. Clearly, a lot depends on which desktop environment you are running. Gnome, from my experience, tends to be the most fragile, since they release a lot of unstable releases on the path to the next stable release, and they will all land in rawhide. Other environments, KDE for one, tend to only make releases towards the end of the development cycle, where things are really pretty stable. I've been running rawhide / KDE for the past three years or so, and only got bitten only once (because I missed an alert message on the fedora-devel list).
                  Rawhide will often be tracking the development releases of the version that's eventually going to land in the stable release, so you're exposed to more upstream problems. Most projects still lack good test suites or don't do any testing at all, and the churn of the development branches/releases is painful. The Linux kernel is a pretty good example... hardware-specific regressions are common because it would be very hard to test everything, and it's nice to let other people find these for you in the earlier release candidates and first stable release .

                  Arch's testing repositories only get the latest stable release of GNOME and the kernel, with the first or second point release being the one moved to the stable repositories. Unstable releases are released a separate gnome-unstable repository. It's not an enormous difference, but I do run into far fewer issues in Arch compared to Debian Sid (probably due to heavy patching) and Rawhide.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Fedora rather needs something like the Arch User Repository. I always felt like software availability and discovery is especially bad on Fedora. Nobody wants to hunt down RPMs and RPM Fusion just dosen't cut it. I don't want to look in a thousand places to find my stuff. On Arch if it's not in place A (official repos) it's in place B (AUR) and it's nice centralized, searchable, you can leave comments, vote, get notified about future comments, super easy to contribute and install software from.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                      Fedora rather needs something like the Arch User Repository. I always felt like software availability and discovery is especially bad on Fedora. Nobody wants to hunt down RPMs and RPM Fusion just dosen't cut it. I don't want to look in a thousand places to find my stuff. On Arch if it's not in place A (official repos) it's in place B (AUR) and it's nice centralized, searchable, you can leave comments, vote, get notified about future comments, super easy to contribute and install software from.
                      It wouldn't help in this case because uploading newer versions of the repository packages instead of flagging them out-of-date is verboten :P.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        so, they'll destroy 20 too, then. time to find another distro even before .next hits i guess. and it is really sad when this happens after being faithful user for 20 releases into evolution. mind i was also avid gnome user until 3.6

                        as much as i was enthusiastic about Fedora.Next on first information, initial hype in me started dying when i dug more into it. even just watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOFud4cgtV0 or reading mailing lists speaks enough. no matter how much they pretend to be community distro, one thing is sure as hell, they don't don't care what community wants, period. even in video, talker tries to initiate community feedback, where it does nothing but saying "nah, we know better" or "we don't care about that". same as fscked up gnome mentality

                        and here is food for thought if any Fedora.Next involved person reads it, coz i'd really want to hear answer. it is said that Workstation should be developers desktop. so, how come....
                        - default desktop comes with singular most useless DE for any developer where applications are as powerful as most phone apps and still degrading?
                        - DE HIG and application HIG clashes in so many ways it is not possible to imagine in worst Hall of Shame ( sadly, this starts making sense http://interfacehallofshame.eu/www.i....com/shame.htm more than F.N)
                        - DE takes care to slow developer down as much as possible with useless functions that look cool in some morons head

                        Fedora is really going Canonical way. Canonical has CLA, Fedora has "can't hear ya". hell, even Canonical realized some ideas might not be as good as imagined http://arstechnica.com/information-t...ation-windows/

                        p.s. i hope it's obvious why F.N. won't see my computer and this will provide some food for thougt
                        Last edited by justmy2cents; 02-21-2014, 11:42 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm glad that Fedora will provide latest GNOME updates. Fedora is my favorite distribution because it offers the best vanilla GNOME experience out of the box without any modifications. At some point there might be GNOME OS but GNOME is still under construction. Until that point, Fedra will be number one for GNOME users.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                            I'm glad that Fedora will provide latest GNOME updates. Fedora is my favorite distribution because it offers the best vanilla GNOME experience out of the box without any modifications. At some point there might be GNOME OS but GNOME is still under construction. Until that point, Fedra will be number one for GNOME users.
                            ok, that must be joke, lol. Gnome... OS? dear god, how is that supposed to work? in order to have OS you need more than note taker and few useless applications. gnome obviously doesn't want those since their HIG and desktop specs are taken right out from their ass. as it is now, you can't even run gnome software under anything else than gnome without complete WTF? and running anything else in gnome feels obvious like ET in strip joint. i wouldn't imagine my apps respecting one single Gnome HIG nonsense, way off applications like LibreOffice, Chrome or Firefox

                            btw, don't keep your hopes up. Fedora users are declining rapidly and with their last incentive to distance other desktops declining will be even faster. damn lot of fedora users are flocking to korora, but, i sense that will be just temporary
                            Last edited by justmy2cents; 02-21-2014, 01:33 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                              ok, that must be joke, lol. Gnome... OS? dear god, how is that supposed to work? in order to have OS you need more than note taker and few useless applications. gnome obviously doesn't want those since their HIG and desktop specs are taken right out from their ass. as it is now, you can't even run gnome software under anything else than gnome without complete WTF? and running anything else in gnome feels obvious like ET in strip joint. i wouldn't imagine my apps respecting one single Gnome HIG nonsense, way off applications like LibreOffice, Chrome or Firefox

                              btw, don't keep your hopes up. Fedora users are declining rapidly and with their last incentive to distance other desktops declining will be even faster. damn lot of fedora users are flocking to korora, but, i sense that will be just temporary
                              GnomeOS is just a codename, it's not really an OS.

                              https://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeOS/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X