Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Voting Proposed For Debian Jessie's Init System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
    source please... (and do not quote distrowatch please...)
    source is my own work (university). Everybody who uses Linux uses plain vanilla Ubuntu. I sometimes see RHEL and SUSE.

    Although, because of all this infighting and shit throwing and lack of quality of basic software and vendor support most of the people have moved to windows and apple, which was unheard of in the university circles just couple of years ago. From that perspective we have lost big time.

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
      So why did they wait for four years and then they released systemd instead of fixing upstart?
      Lennart Poettering and Kay Sievers have already answered this. The core design of Upstart is wrong, and even if it wasn't, there's still Canonical's CLA.
      Ubuntu is also only the most used distro on desktop systems.

      Comment


      • #23
        i wonder if red hat and canonical are bribing some committee members

        Comment


        • #24
          Why vote when the only reasonable choice is OpenRC?

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by xeekei View Post
            Lennart Poettering
            The guy who dedicated his life to ruining everything good in Linux? I can't deny he's right about upstart but this doesn't mean systemd is any better.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
              So why did they wait for four years and then they released systemd instead of fixing upstart? I think someone is being dishonest here. And you're blaming Canonical for sticking with upstart and not really being in the spirit of open source.

              But, yeah, this is in the spirit of open source. Latest example is the llvm vs. gcc controversy.
              For some of us, you may share or not and you are free to do as you may, a big part of the spirit of open source is that every contributor has the same rights. So, sticking to upstart would have been being untrue to the spirit of open source for all of those that feel it that way, as the GPL+CLA means Canonical has got more rights than any other contributor. systemd's license is symmetric, and that's a must for some of us.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
                P.S. for debian it makes sense to go upstart. The project is healty ans stable. And debian nowafays plays the role of a staging ground for ubuntu, which has moved to upstart since many years ago.
                Debian shouldn't make decisions basing on what serves Ubuntu, but basing on what serves them. This role as "a staging ground for Ubuntu" is not something Debian asked for, or something that benefits them in any way. Plus, Ubuntu did OK without Debian using Upstart for default all this time, and it's not like it's being discussed using one and banishing forever the alternatives. What is being discussed is the default. Do you see Ubuntu using XFCE as DE because it's Debian's default? No? Well, that's why what Debian uses by default is not even relevant to Ubuntu.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                  Lennart Poettering and Kay Sievers have already answered this. The core design of Upstart is wrong, and even if it wasn't, there's still Canonical's CLA.
                  Ubuntu is also only the most used distro on desktop systems.
                  Quoting two systemd developers' opinion of a competing product probably isn't the best way to demonstrate an unbiased point of view.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                    The guy who dedicated his life to ruining everything good in Linux? I can't deny he's right about upstart but this doesn't mean systemd is any better.
                    Originally posted by Herem View Post
                    Quoting two systemd developers' opinion of a competing product probably isn't the best way to demonstrate an unbiased point of view.
                    Jeez, I was telling that user WHY they didn't improve upon Upstart and instead started a new project. Your blind systemd/Lennart hate is affecting your reading comprehension. I didn't say a thing about the accuracy of their opinion.
                    Last edited by xeekei; 01-26-2014, 09:24 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                      Why vote when the only reasonable choice is OpenRC?
                      Because they don't want to handicap Debian.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X