Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Major Music Company Now Backs Systemd In Debian

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Major Music Company Now Backs Systemd In Debian

    Phoronix: A Major Music Company Now Backs Systemd In Debian

    Yesterday on Phoronix I mentioned Debian looked to be leaning in favor of using systemd over Upstart for its default init system given the latest comments by the technical committee members. The latest support for systemd in Debian comes from a streaming music company that's a major user of Debian GNU/Linux...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU3NTU

  • #2
    I asume the debian developers are not that impressed by this statement, although I hope they decide for systemd.

    Damn... need to get rid of my ubuntu installation

    Comment


    • #3
      Glad to see spotify getting more involved with linux, now I just wish they'd add media key functionality.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by porken View Post
        Glad to see spotify getting more involved with linux, now I just wish they'd add media key functionality.
        You can usually bind some hotkey to send D-Bus messages to Spotify, but yes they need global hotkey support.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
          I asume the debian developers are not that impressed by this statement, although I hope they decide for systemd.

          Damn... need to get rid of my ubuntu installation
          It will impress only if the intention is to contribute. If not, it is only a opinion. And opinion do not impress developers.

          Comment


          • #6
            the opinion of a company with a bad softwer that live forever in beta state. Radio doesn't work well with this version on others languages, fu.. you spotify.

            Comment


            • #7
              Don't forget Valve made it clear the reason SteamOS is built off Debian instead of Ubuntu was Canonical's Contributor License Agreement which applies to Upstart.

              Comment


              • #8
                Have they donated to the project debian? 5000 servers with debian! Lecheers

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
                  need to get rid of my ubuntu installation
                  siduction is calling for you (and I think the latest releases are already using systemd...).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    siduction is calling for you (and I think the latest releases are already using systemd...).
                    Hahaha... Thanks, had to google this one but looks promising and also debian based . Think i'll switch to debian some time in te future. After mir my ubuntu-enthousiasm hit an all-time low.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
                      Hahaha... Thanks, had to google this one but looks promising and also debian based . Think i'll switch to debian some time in te future. After mir my ubuntu-enthousiasm hit an all-time low.
                      Same here. I use Kubuntu because (1) I use KDE, (2) I want a popular distro, user oriiented, and (3) I want easy third party or backport management, and Ubuntu still gives me all that, particularly with the PPAs.

                      I used to see a lot of value also in having Ubuntuforums with a gazillion users. But there are less and less problems as Linux gets more polished, and really, my computers bore me these days, nothing to fix anymore And KDE has alienated me to the point that I only use the basics: Plasma, Dolphin. The rest, it's a mix: Chrome for the web and gmail, Google docs most of the time for documents, Pitivi for video editing, tv-maxe or chrome for streamed sports, vlc for media, etc ...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                        Don't forget Valve made it clear the reason SteamOS is built off Debian instead of Ubuntu was Canonical's Contributor License Agreement which applies to Upstart.
                        I haven't seen that, do you have a link? I remember it was over "legal issues", but no further clarification.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by DanL View Post
                          siduction is calling for you (and I think the latest releases are already using systemd...).
                          Yes the latest siduction release is using systemd by default and it works quite well in my testing. I initially was leery of systemd but it's being actively developed so any bugs or issues are being addressed fairly rapidly. Debian leaning towards systemd is a good thing in my opinion.

                          As for Spotify perhaps they should offer suggestions and maybe look into making their Linux client work on a par with their Windows one for starters. If they need technical help in doing that perhaps they can get help from the community in the form of patches or suggestions.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                            Don't forget Valve made it clear the reason SteamOS is built off Debian instead of Ubuntu was Canonical's Contributor License Agreement which applies to Upstart.
                            Source?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
                              Hahaha... Thanks, had to google this one but looks promising and also debian based . Think i'll switch to debian some time in te future. After mir my ubuntu-enthousiasm hit an all-time low.
                              Siduction has worked great for me for a long time.
                              It got systemd and a wireless cli tool called ceni that actually works, and with the nox release you can build your debian unstable from scratch

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X