Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian May Be Leaning Towards Systemd Over Upstart

Phoronix: Debian May Be Leaning Towards Systemd Over Upstart

While no official decision has been reached yet, it looks like Debian's technical committee may be leaning in favor of using systemd as the default init system over Upstart or other alternatives...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU3NDc

systemd is killing upstart!

Comment

If SystemD is chosen I hope it comes to Ubuntu too, even though I prefer
      Upstart over SystemD. But having only one distro support Upstart would
      fragment the community too much.

Comment

Nice, I'm glad to hear that the technical committee are making technical choices. It seems that everyone is for systemd, except for those who were involved with Upstart themselves.

Comment

So how are they going to make the non-linux ports of Debian work? Are they going to add a compatibility layer?

Comment

I'm using Arch which migrated to Systemd back in 2012. I've been relatively happy with how it works although it does take some getting used to.

Comment

who cares?

who cares?

Comment

and its good?

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                systemd is killing upstart!
                i think various solutions is better than only one, it will be like xorg? it really suck, but no other solution so far, no competion , what somepeople calls fragmentation i call competion

Comment

I don't like systemd, but in systemd is more easy to enable and disable units(?), at least in ubuntu to disable the lightdm i have to edit some crappy Cannonical scripts.
                  Last edited by felipe; 01-17-2014, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Too bad... I had hoped for openrc. If the choice is between systemd and upstart, then systemd is definitely better.

Comment

Originally posted by felipe View Post
                      I don't like systemd, but in systemd is more easy to enable and disable units(?), at least in ubuntu to disable the lightdm i have to edit some crappy Cannonical scripts.
                      You don't like systemd but you don't even know to use it?

Comment

Originally posted by felipe View Post
                        in systemd is more easy to enable and disable units
                        Should be easier:
                        sudo systemctl enable lightdm
                        sudo systemctl disable lightdm

Comment

Originally posted by dalingrin View Post
                          You don't like systemd but you don't even know to use it?
                          the (?) is for the units i don't know if call daemons or process or what

Comment

Damn Red Hat and L.P.
                            I prefer OpenRC over the extend and embrace systemd, but it seems I won't have the choice in a foreseeable future. Everyone in Linux will be forced to use systemd. The problem with systemd is not the init system itself, but the assimilation of other parts of the system.

At least I'll have the choice between Wayland, Mir and X11, like I can with video player (mplayer2, vlc etc) or browser (firefox, chromium etc).

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                              i think various solutions is better than only one, it will be like xorg? it really suck, but no other solution so far, no competion , what somepeople calls fragmentation i call competion
                              Various solutions are better when there's no clear technical winner. Systemd is the clear technical winner.

Comment

Working...
                              X