Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debian May Be Leaning Towards Systemd Over Upstart

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by felipe View Post
    I don't like systemd, but in systemd is more easy to enable and disable units(?), at least in ubuntu to disable the lightdm i have to edit some crappy Cannonical scripts.
    You don't like systemd but you don't even know to use it?

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by felipe View Post
      in systemd is more easy to enable and disable units
      Should be easier:
      sudo systemctl enable lightdm
      sudo systemctl disable lightdm

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by dalingrin View Post
        You don't like systemd but you don't even know to use it?
        the (?) is for the units i don't know if call daemons or process or what

        Comment


        • #14
          Damn Red Hat and L.P.
          I prefer OpenRC over the extend and embrace systemd, but it seems I won't have the choice in a foreseeable future. Everyone in Linux will be forced to use systemd. The problem with systemd is not the init system itself, but the assimilation of other parts of the system.

          At least I'll have the choice between Wayland, Mir and X11, like I can with video player (mplayer2, vlc etc) or browser (firefox, chromium etc).

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
            i think various solutions is better than only one, it will be like xorg? it really suck, but no other solution so far, no competion , what somepeople calls fragmentation i call competion
            Various solutions are better when there's no clear technical winner. Systemd is the clear technical winner.

            Comment


            • #16
              I agree with this choice.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by rudregues View Post
                Damn Red Hat and L.P.
                I prefer OpenRC over the extend and embrace systemd, but it seems I won't have the choice in a foreseeable future. Everyone in Linux will be forced to use systemd. The problem with systemd is not the init system itself, but the assimilation of other parts of the system.

                At least I'll have the choice between Wayland, Mir and X11, like I can with video player (mplayer2, vlc etc) or browser (firefox, chromium etc).
                and that is simply because not one had guts to finally say "let's make linux init and use all shiny new things it offers" instead of limiting it to lowest common denominator until systemd. i'm all for portability, unless thing is really low level. at that point whole os experience suffers. and for what?

                choice only matters until there is competition, systemd simply has none

                Comment


                • #18
                  Spotify also wants Debian to use systemd they have around 5000 physical servers running Debian systemd

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    i don't know if any of you know this but some debian developers are also systemd developer

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
                      Too bad... I had hoped for openrc. If the choice is between systemd and upstart, then systemd is definitely better.
                      openrc is not an option because it is basically sysv on steroid meaning majority of administrators want to be rid of excessive of bash scripts.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X