Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu GNOME Might Fail To Do A 14.04 LTS Release

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post

    So I'd say if we can assemble some of those good things into one coherent place, it's an obvious choice to stop pulling teeth to get an Ubuntu GNOME release. Simply put, Ubuntu should cultivate an environment where any DE is usable on their platform without stepping on anyone's toes. If they create incompatibilities unnecessarily, it's not our responsibility to fix it.
    Obviously we have the unique issue where part of our stack is shared with Ubuntu (obviously this doesnt really affect other DE's). Canonical are working towards fixing this, clearly it won't happen overnight though. The forking of gnome-settings-daemon and gnome-control-center is largely being done to unblock things for Ubuntu GNOME. Likewise with the recent update of GTK+ 3.10.

    Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
    I'd love for GNOME Ubuntu to continue, but it's already facing issues keeping up to date to begin with.
    Ubuntu GNOME is not going away. If you are talking about GNOME being a cycle behind, this is intentional and will likely continue. Ubuntu's release schedule unfortunately doesn't fit in great with the GNOME schedule (they are just too close together). However I think you would find that the 13.10 release with GNOME 3.8 is most likely a lot more stable than it would have been with a rushed 3.10.

    Comment


    • #12
      oh this news made me very sad. my favorite distro will not be upgraded.

      btw. it is more than 10 years that i used an rpm based distro. is there an eqivalent to ppa's on say fedora etc?

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by a user View Post
        oh this news made me very sad. my favorite distro will not be upgraded.
        Just to clarify Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 will be released. There is no question about that, it purely comes down to if the 14.04 release be officially tagged as an LTS or not.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by darkxst View Post
          Just to clarify Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 will be released. There is no question about that, it purely comes down to if the 14.04 release be officially tagged as an LTS or not.
          oh, thank you for the clarification.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by hadrons123 View Post
            Gnome per say is a dead horse. Ubuntu has killed it twice by releasing old versions of Gnome. I highly doubt there would be anymore interest in gnome, that too in ubuntu community.
            Lennart Poettering will whip that horse into shape, don't you worry

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by corebob View Post
              Lennart Poettering will whip that horse into shape, don't you worry
              whats Lennart got to do with it? he only programs systemd AFAIK

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by hadrons123 View Post
                Gnome per say is a dead horse. Ubuntu has killed it twice by releasing old versions of Gnome. I highly doubt there would be anymore interest in gnome, that too in ubuntu community.
                i guess you'll be making your way back to Windows if its a Dead Horse

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by darkxst View Post
                  Ubuntu GNOME is not going away. If you are talking about GNOME being a cycle behind, this is intentional and will likely continue. Ubuntu's release schedule unfortunately doesn't fit in great with the GNOME schedule (they are just too close together). However I think you would find that the 13.10 release with GNOME 3.8 is most likely a lot more stable than it would have been with a rushed 3.10.

                  You mean two cycles behind? By 14/04 Gnome 3.12 will be released....

                  I'm using Gnome 3.10 on Arch since October and it's very stable, even better than 3.8 and way better than 3.6.

                  Originally posted by scionicspectre
                  Unfortunately, the only distro I can think of that has a good relationship with upstream, good repos, and an understanding of closed software on occasion is Arch. Not exactly the easiest to install.
                  Simply install Antergos. Then you get a preconfigured Arch installed via a GUI installer in a matter of minutes. It's basically arch + an extra repository you can easily remove, if you decide you don't like the hand full of add-on packages (themes+gui package manager). It on about the same level of installation difficulty as Ubuntu.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by darkxst View Post
                    Just to clarify Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 will be released ... it purely comes down to if the 14.04 release be officially tagged as an LTS or not.
                    What? That's it? This news is just about it being LTS or not? Given the misleading title (on purpose of course), I'm surprised there aren't more (enraged and off-topic) comments.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                      I can't understand the point of Gnome on Ubuntu over, say just installing Debian with Gnome. Frankly, if you're not using Unity, Ubuntu is pointless at this point.
                      Ubuntu has a crazy huge community and a nice package management system. There's plenty of reasons to use an Ubuntu-based distro without Unity. I'm using Kubuntu as we speak!

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X