Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 13.10 Final Beta Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu 13.10 Final Beta Released

    Phoronix: Ubuntu 13.10 Final Beta Released

    If you haven't grabbed it yet, the final (and only official) beta of Ubuntu 13.10 is now available while derivatives like Kubuntu and Xubuntu are on their second and final beta releases ahead of the 13.10 "Saucy Salamander" release next month...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ3MDQ

  • #2
    gnome-session-flashback

    Does gnome-session-flashback work?

    When I try to login to the session, it fails and logins into Unity instead.

    Comment


    • #3
      In other news, for those looking for an alternative to Ubuntu, Tanglu are preparing for their first release.

      Tanglu is a Debian-derivative aiming for regular two-monthly releases, as a more up-to-date Debian desktop distribution. They are still small, but look promising.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
        In 13.04 it had a problem with maximized windows, when clicking the close button for example it wouldn't register it and send it to the windows behind the current window. Nasty bug since February that they never fixed. So I wouldn't get my hopes too high for the fallback mode to work. In Ubuntu what is not Unity seems to not get the same attention.
        Yes, I know!
        I've had this exact same bug too!

        But what else to do?
        Unity sucks, gnome-shell sucks. Flashback is my only choice...
        ...well Cinnamon shows promise, but its too slow. I have to wait 100+ ms for the menu to appear.

        Comment


        • #5
          I thought I would have a look so I burnt the livecd this morning and loaded it - ran fine - lovely. I was hoping to see the "mir" thing running. The livecd session comes up as X with opensource video drivers - was I in a fallback to X session - I thought mir was the default unless you were on blob drivers? I did a brief google and could find anything that indicated much as to what would be running or how to get mir going. And because I'm a nice guy I've left it seeding.

          The reason I ask this is because i am concerned that if the mir session doesn't come up nice and smoothly as the default then their quite large userbase is going to hit the upgrade button in 3 weeks time and end up with a disaster on their desktop - or we could get lucky and stay with X instead of the sticky plastered together display stack.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
            In 13.04 it had a problem with maximized windows, when clicking the close button for example it wouldn't register it and send it to the windows behind the current window. Nasty bug since February that they never fixed. So I wouldn't get my hopes too high for the fallback mode to work. In Ubuntu what is not Unity seems to not get the same attention.
            Ubuntu GnomeFlashback users are a sub-set of sub set of gnome 3 users on ubuntu right? I'm not entirely surprised that they have issues getting patches done. Its sucks to be a minority user and without a dedicated group to create and submit patches, you'll never see any.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
              In 13.04 it had a problem with maximized windows, when clicking the close button for example it wouldn't register it and send it to the windows behind the current window. Nasty bug since February that they never fixed. So I wouldn't get my hopes too high for the fallback mode to work. In Ubuntu what is not Unity seems to not get the same attention.
              This bug has been fixed in Compiz version that is in 13.10.

              XMir still isn't enabled by default. This will probably change before FinalFreeze October 10th. If you want to test it now you have to enable universe repo and install unity-system-compositor package. Then you have to reboot or restart LightDM with this command:

              Code:
              sudo restart lightdm
              You can check if XMir is running with this commands:

              Code:
              ps aux | grep unity-system-compositor
              grep -i xmir /var/log/Xorg.0.log
              ls -l /var/log/lightdm/unity-system-compositor.log
              The second one should print something like LoadModule: XMir, the first one should look like on this image.

              Comment


              • #8
                Wait People use Ubuntu? "Steam OS" FTW!!!! and Btw All releases of Ubuntu are Beta's

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yes that bug is fixed and besides that both Compiz and Unity got many, many more fixes in Ubuntu 13.10 and they will get even more before the final release.

                  Radeon DPM isn't enabled by default as far I'm aware but 13.10 has the appropriate 3.11 kernel for this function. Phoronix described how to enable DPM in this article.

                  There are also answers on AskUbuntu the one accepted looks better.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
                    Tanglu is a Debian-derivative aiming for regular two-monthly releases, as a more up-to-date Debian desktop distribution. They are still small, but look promising.
                    And SolydXK is doing the same with a monthly schedule, they don't even "look promising", they are already delivering a stable yet updated desktop, it even bundles steam and codecs, allows the installing of proprietary drivers in the very welcome screen, etc.

                    Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPdHeLaRuCU

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
                      In other news, for those looking for an alternative to Ubuntu, Tanglu are preparing for their first release.

                      Tanglu is a Debian-derivative aiming for regular two-monthly releases, as a more up-to-date Debian desktop distribution. They are still small, but look promising.
                      6mo's releases and don't call it a alternative to Ubuntu just call it the "Ubuntu Slayer" ohh wait or did Steam OS do just that>?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                        Wait People use Ubuntu? "Steam OS" FTW!!!! and Btw All releases of Ubuntu are Beta's
                        Steam OS == Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

                        Steam: "Ubuntu is our favorite version of Linux."

                        Not sure why you think an Ubuntu release that boots straight to Steam (no desktop), provided by a company that likes and recommends Ubuntu, is going to "kill Ubuntu". It's the complete opposite.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                          Steam OS == Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

                          Steam: "Ubuntu is our favorite version of Linux."

                          Not sure why you think an Ubuntu release that boots straight to Steam (no desktop), provided by a company that likes and recommends Ubuntu, is going to "kill Ubuntu". It's the complete opposite.
                          Nope Steam OS is the Ubuntu Slayer!! not based on ubuntu at all some developers have even gotten to look at the guts of it
                          Steam OS, the operating system is a highly modified Debian Linux stripped to bare, with all its non-essentials tossed out, and proprietary multimedia CODECs added, along with fonts, runtime environments, and in-built drivers for popular GPU, sound card, and gaming-peripheral brands.
                          http://www.techpowerup.com/191332/va...-steam-os.html

                          SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen.
                          It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.
                          http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

                          Now thats a Big Work STAND ALONE NOT BASED ON UBUNTU!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                            Nope Steam OS is the Ubuntu Slayer!! not based on ubuntu at all some developers have even gotten to look at the guts of it

                            http://www.techpowerup.com/191332/va...-steam-os.html


                            http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

                            Now thats a Big Work STAND ALONE NOT BASED ON UBUNTU!!
                            Some random website claims that it's based on Debian without providing any proof. I suppose that's enough for LinuxGamer.

                            Besides SteamOS will be aimed at entertainment: playing games, listening to music and watching movies TV shows. Seriously you really think that it will be multi-purpose operating system because that would be stupid.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Bestia View Post
                              Some random website claims that it's based on Debian without providing any proof.
                              And where's your proof it's based on Ubuntu, again?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X