Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elementary OS Releases "Luna" Ubuntu Platform

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Elementary OS Releases "Luna" Ubuntu Platform

    Phoronix: Elementary OS Releases "Luna" Ubuntu Platform

    The Elementary OS crew, a group of young designers seeking to create a beautiful and simple Linux distribution, have released Elementary OS 0.2 "Luna" as their latest Ubuntu-based operating system...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQzMzI

  • #2
    Interesting idea. But using GNOME Shell makes it completely impractical.

    Comment


    • #3
      Did they remove all the repositories from Ubuntu or what? I'm unable to install VLC, Chrome, Pidgin, ntfs-config... What the hell?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by johnc View Post
        Interesting idea. But using GNOME Shell makes it completely impractical.
        It doesn't use Gnome Shell; it's build of Wingpanel (top panel), Slingshot (launcher), Gala (a Mutter based window manager), Pantheon Wallpaper (wallpaper app), Plank (the dock), varios indicators and such.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by johnc View Post
          Interesting idea. But using GNOME Shell makes it completely impractical.
          luna does NOT USE GNOME-SHELL. It uses its own DE (called pantheon) written from scratch using vala/gtk3 (and libmutter for the gala window manager). Luna's pantheon environment is not based on gnome, nor is it a fork of gnome.

          Originally posted by Teho View Post
          It doesn't use Gnome Shell; it's build of Wingpanel (top panel), Slingshot (launcher), Gala (a Mutter based window manager), Pantheon Wallpaper (wallpaper app), Plank (the dock), varios indicators and such.
          "Pantheon" is the name of the entire DE (which does indeed include wingpanel, plank, gala, indicators etc...)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by teahopper View Post
            Did they remove all the repositories from Ubuntu or what? I'm unable to install VLC, Chrome, Pidgin, ntfs-config... What the hell?
            I had no problem installing these when I used it... (I haven't tried the final release yet though, but I didn try beta 2 pretty recently. Try opening "software sources" and making sure the appropriate repos are checked?
            Last edited by bwat47; 08-11-2013, 03:13 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Old software

              What a disappointment that it consists of old software.

              It uses kernel 3.2 or 3.5.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                luna does NOT USE GNOME-SHELL. It uses its own DE (called pantheon) written from scratch using vala/gtk3 (and libmutter for the gala window manager). Luna's pantheon environment is not based on gnome, nor is it a fork of gnome.
                A retract my statement and amend it thusforth:

                It's a shame it's as impractical as gnome shell.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  What a disappointment that it consists of old software.

                  It uses kernel 3.2 or 3.5.
                  Starting with 12.04, canonical always makes kernel backports available in the repos for LTS releases, so 12.04 has kernel backports in its repos. It has the quantal and raring kernels (and graphics stacks) available. The kernel package is called "linux-generic-lts-raring" or something like that. i had it installed when I used luna beta 2 (because I need it for my brightness keys to work).

                  People keep making very uninformed comments in this thread.

                  Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  A retract my statement and amend it thusforth:

                  It's a shame it's as impractical as gnome shell.
                  and how is it impractical. have you even used it?
                  Last edited by bwat47; 08-11-2013, 03:55 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    "There really aren't as many technical innovations in the distribution as they are just seeking about beautifying the end-user interfaces."

                    This sentence is so wrong that it's funny. Really good HCI is definitely technical innovation, even more so when we are talking about Linux distros.

                    Also, all Elementary apps are great. Gala is based on Mutter and is faster and less resource consuming than Gnome Shell. Pantheon Files is one of the best file browsers. Music/Noise is lightweight, fast, has a 10 band equalizer and Last.fm integration, so most of you should be covered. Audience and Scratch are just awesome.

                    I encourage everyone to try elementary OS, even if you find out that it doesn't fit your needs, it is awesome how much effort they have put into this distro and how well organized they are.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hell, I donated 10USD. Well deserved for making the most attractive desktop distro.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Great looking OS! I'm hoping Pantheon DE hits the main Arch repos sometime soon.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Dreckr View Post
                          "There really aren't as many technical innovations in the distribution as they are just seeking about beautifying the end-user interfaces."

                          This sentence is so wrong that it's funny. Really good HCI is definitely technical innovation, even more so when we are talking about Linux distros.
                          I couldn't agree more. Michael: you're great at benchmarking. No need to show off your ignorance in other matters. The Elementary team is all about usability, not "beauty". Of course, beauty comes as a result, but they're not especially original in their beauty aspects. They are, indeed, when it comes to coherence and consistency.

                          EDIT: And btw, this is not their final release of Luna, but its Beta 2. It's right there, at the post you link. You have a long way in front of you to become a journalist...

                          EDIT2: Actually, it's the final release, but your link to the blog is wrong. Here's the right link: http://elementaryos.org/journal/the-road-to-luna
                          Last edited by Aleve Sicofante; 08-12-2013, 09:47 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'm glad there are people in the Linux world who care about interaction design.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I use elementary OS/Desktop since before beta 1 and it is just beautiful to look at and beautiful to use. Really, really like it

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X