Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 20 Might No Longer Install Syslog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
    You missed the one pretty at the beginning of the thread: If journalctl for whatever reason is not available (for example inaccessible /usr-partition) you can still read the logs with an already running Bash if rsyslog is present, but you can't do anything without it being present. That doesn't sound like a legacy reason, this is a technical reason.
    It was there, you probably missed it It is valid point though.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
      You missed the one pretty at the beginning of the thread: If journalctl for whatever reason is not available (for example inaccessible /usr-partition) you can still read the logs with an already running Bash if rsyslog is present, but you can't do anything without it being present. That doesn't sound like a legacy reason, this is a technical reason.
      In such case, you could reboot on a live cd and check the logs afterwards.

      Now the question mostly is, should they keep both logs on disk by default for the sake of covering this use case ("I can't run journalctl but can run bash and fs is mounted and working and I don't want to shut down and I couldn't install rsyslog before").

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by johnc View Post
        Why does this sound like a shitty Mircrosoft implementation?
        Probably because you don't understand it?

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by AdamW View Post
          Probably because you don't understand it?
          Let's not entertain possibilities that are unpossible.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by johnc View Post
            Let's not entertain possibilities that are unpossible.
            Then be clear already or shut up.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by bkor View Post
              Then be clear already or shut up.
              Its dog slow? i mean it takes 30s for journald to just page to end and i have only 1049322 lines there
              /var/log/journal

              [root@localhost journal]# du -h
              502M ./fbb0c4896a9c0f680475c0a07edd2c5a

              journal data file is sure BIG no wonder its so slow does it contain copies of my encrypted files for "backup" purposes ? or what?
              Last edited by Ramiliez; 07-16-2013, 06:15 PM.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
                Its dog slow? i mean it takes 30s for journald to just page to end and i have only 1049322 lines there
                What command are you using? o.O

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  What command are you using? o.O
                  journalctl

                  Monster sized log files especially binary ones are not good for VMs how do you fix journald to not abuse disk space and still retain some history?
                  Last edited by Ramiliez; 07-16-2013, 06:33 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
                    journalctl

                    Monster sized log files especially binary ones are not good for VMs how do you fix journald to not abuse disk space and still retain some history?
                    Ramiliez, this isn't directly directed at you its a comment about something ive noticed in general....

                    Seriously people, some of the BEST linux documentation available comes from the Arch and Gentoo wikis. WE ARE YOUR TEST BED. I don't care if you are using Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu or whatever... if you have a question, check the Arch and Gentoo wikis. ONE OF THEM probably has an answer because a lot of other distros documentation is outdated or incomplete.

                    Now, Ramiliez, to answer your question.

                    From the arch wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#Journal

                    Journal size limit

                    If the journal is persistent (non-volatile), its size limit is set to a default value of 10% of the size of the respective file system. For example, with /var/log/journal located on a 50 GiB root partition this would lead to 5 GiB of journal data. The maximum size of the persistent journal can be controlled by SystemMaxUse in /etc/systemd/journald.conf, so to limit it for example to 50 MiB uncomment and edit the corresponding line to:

                    Code:
                    SystemMaxUse=50M
                    Refer to man journald.conf for more info.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                      Ramiliez, this isn't directly directed at you its a comment about something ive noticed in general....

                      Seriously people, some of the BEST linux documentation available comes from the Arch and Gentoo wikis. WE ARE YOUR TEST BED. I don't care if you are using Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu or whatever... if you have a question, check the Arch and Gentoo wikis. ONE OF THEM probably has an answer because a lot of other distros documentation is outdated or incomplete.

                      Now, Ramiliez, to answer your question.

                      From the arch wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#Journal

                      ...or, you know, the man pages? journald.conf isn't exactly like the gcc entry

                      Systemd related tools have phenomenal official documentation. I wish all projects were as them when it comes to docs.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X