Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B0$$-Troll

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
    It will likely contain less malware. No additional patches made by NSA.
    Don't listen to BO$$, he is a troll.
    Compiling locally makes sense and has great benefits, but not due to extreme compiler-flags, but because you have control over how many dependencies are pulled in.

BO$$ doesn't know what he is talking about and has a questionable standpoint when it comes to GNU/Linux. Don't listen to him if you don't want to be confused .

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      Yeah let's all start compiling our own stuff. You probably would call that progress. Fuck .deb or .rpm just give us the sources, we'll deal with it....
      thats how we use to do it on Linux

few linux's do any more gentoo is one of them

Comment

Yeah let's all start compiling our own stuff. You probably would call that progress. Fuck .deb or .rpm just give us the sources, we'll deal with it....
        The only one here with a white vs. black view of the thing is you. Nobody forces you to avoid binary, out of the box distros. It has a benefit on usability, and nobody denies it. It would be wise of you to admit the benefits of the other side of the coin, just because the usability of binary distros outweight the advantages of using a custom built one for you and for general users.

Comment

No. Let's all start ignoring uninformed and illogical garbage that trolls like you keep spamming us with.

Comment

Inform yourself

For Gentoo, we have ebuilds respectively.

Why don't you inform yourself before giving unqualified responses and make hideous claims?

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
              thats how we use to do it on Linux
              I remember those days.

It was awful.

Comment

Nothing black or white just that pushing Gentoo and saying it's more flexible than Ubuntu is just misguided. The trouble with linux is that it must shed this image of 'compiling your own kernel ftw' attitude if it ever wants to get over the 1% market share. This is what people know about linux and pushing for this image is really counterproductive. This elitist attitude is really annoying for outsiders and I'm seeing it on so many websites 'promoting' linux. This attitude when something doesn't work well fuck you go learn C and fix it your damn self. What's so hard about compiling a custom kernel after all? Stupid noobs. Back in my time we used to program with the soldiering iron not like kids these days with their noob proof Java and shit....
                No. From moment zero in this thread, it was considered optional, and that's how it should be. If we want to ever go past the 1%, yeah, one must be able to have things working out of the box. But if some user wants to build things by himself, it's good that he can, and can give benefits. Being able to use things out of the box is not the same as being forced to use them that way.
                Also, there are situations where you really need to build things. I *needed* to build things to get KMS on Via, and will need to for a few more kernel releases.

Comment

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...?part=2&chap=1

Yep. I can see the 660 millions of Windows 7 moving on to Gentoo riiiight about now.... Gentoo is a fucking joke of a distro. Please stop promoting it. Do us all a favor.
                  Nobody is pretending most users should switch to it. In fact, its main promoter on this thread stated he wouldn't state the nonsense someone should switch to it if they don't like having to read manuals for it.

Comment

Plain wrong

I'm not annoyed that you use Gentoo. Hell you can use MS-DOS for all I care. It's when you people start coming out of the caves and start saying bullshit like Gentoo is faster that another distro (usually Ubuntu because you hate Canonical) and more flexible without any kind of proof. You're asking Michael to test Ubuntu vs Gentoo? Why? Gentoo doesn't exist! Why are you trying to gain more visibility for such a bullshit distro? Do you realize that somebody coming to these forums (or other forums that has people like you on it) will be forever put off from Linux if they install Gentoo? Think about it. Somebody comes in and reads that Gentoo is way faster than Ubuntu. They install Gentoo. Shit this is horrid. Back to Windows. Without realizing that Gentoo doesn't represent Linux. Not at all. You're trying to make it look cool just so that you feel special by using something that is a niche in a niche (Linux).

The argument doesn't necessarily apply only to Gentoo but to other bullshit distros for total nerds like Arch, Slackware and others. There's always somebody on a forum that says how superior their Gentoo, Arch or whatever is so superior to anything Ubuntu or Suse and how in love they are with their system and how Ubuntu is for losers who don't want to learn C and compiler flags. Get this: most people are put off by having to know these things!

The damage caused by people like you is great and you don't even realize it. Do you really think that by saying how complex Gentoo is more people will try linux or less?

And no, having to run ./configure, make and make install isn't progress. It's horrible. Makefiles are satan's way of holding linux back. Those damn things are from '83 ffs. So much for your progressive and flexible distro....
                    You miss three things:
                    1. Gentoo _is_ faster and we gave you good reasons why.
                    2. Using Gentoo doesn't require you to configure and make the software. I told you about Portage, which does that for you automatically.
                    3. I made it pretty clear that Gentoo is only suitable for a small group of users. If you forgot that, you should re-read my previous replies. You cling to this point and accuse us for damaging the GNU/Linux-community, just trying to distract from the real point of the discussion: That Gentoo _is_ in fact faster than Ubuntu.

So, please tell me: Why are you so active wasting your time trying to silence our voices?
                    Unlike your FUD and invalid points, our arguments are valid. You seem to have a hard time refuting them.
                    Last edited by frign; 14 July 2013, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by juanrga View Post
                      I am interested in Gentoo, but I couldn't find benchmarks comparing it to recent versions of binary-based distros as Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora...
                      Do you know how many performance you get from going from a generic AMD_64 to compiling with optimizations? The own Gentoo site recommend the distro for owners of 8-cores, but does not give any detail on why.
                      There will be no/small difference in 90% cases. There are some benchmark results on Phoronix like these:
                      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Last edited by JS987; 14 July 2013, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X