Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which distribution for i7-4770k?

Hey,

I would like to ask you guys which distro you would recommend for new PC? I have been using ubuntu for years, but all those recent changes which I don't like forced me to switch.

At first I thought about Debian, since I'm most familiar with .deb system and with debian-based architecture, but they don't have the release with newest software that I would not to have to fix every day.

Second thought was about ArchLinux and this option is most appealing for me, although I use native Steam and I have read that it's not so easy to make it working there.

Thanks for your opinions

When you look at steam these are the most simple choices.

1 Native Steam on Linux

1.1 Unpackaged
    1.2 Arch Linux
    1.3 Fedora
    1.4 Gentoo
    1.5 openSUSE / SUSE
    1.6 Ubuntu

But on the steam forums, I have yet to see one distro on which steam wont run.
    The questions is, if you do not pick one of the above, how much effort you're willing to put into in.
    I am a happy openSUSE user which has steam running from almost the day it went public beta.

You should download a few live version of mint , openSUSE and probably some more to see which one you like.
    With a live version you do need to install anything.
    I am biased but would suggest openSUSE. Its as user friendly as Ubuntu ( maybe even more)
    And it has a great forum, when you need help.
    Arch is a bit tougher, but they do have wiki's on how to do stuff.

If you want to learn more about Linux arch is prob the one to pick.
    Arch is like openSUSE rpm based, no debs.

But that is just a detail.
    The first time I tried installing steam I started with a deb file and extracted it....

The difference between SUSE and openSUSE, is basicly, that SUSE is not free, for companies and has official support, were openSUSE is free and for home users.
    SUSE comes from openSUSE though, and not the other way around, as you might expect.
    Last edited by Gps4l; 06 July 2013, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tares View Post
      Hey,

I would like to ask you guys which distro you would recommend for new PC? I have been using ubuntu for years, but all those recent changes which I don't like forced me to switch.

At first I thought about Debian, since I'm most familiar with .deb system and with debian-based architecture, but they don't have the release with newest software that I would not to have to fix every day.

Second thought was about ArchLinux and this option is most appealing for me, although I use native Steam and I have read that it's not so easy to make it working there.

Thanks for your opinions
      Linux Mint MATE or Linux Mint Xfce?

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
        Linux Mint Xfce?
        This. i7 would scream on LM XFCE.

Comment

Fedora

I personally recommend Fedora for it being the most cutting edge distro which is (almost always) stable. You keep getting new kernels and graphics stacks while having very little breakage; I've never used Arch long-term, but I've heard that even if it's easy in the beginning it eventually gets to be a leaning tower of cludges. Eventually something goes wrong and you end up re-installing anyway, despite what the Arch forum types say (I've found them to be quite elitist, though their wiki is the best of its kind).

I'm using Fedora 19 XFCE, and I get awesome performance (with highest settings) on pretty much any native game even though my computer is five years old. You've got to make sure not to use GNOME though, unless you've a real power-house graphics card it wont fly without turning your game's settings down-- I also have an i7 (the original one) but GNOME is a huge performance killer.

If you pick Fedora, the not-too-well-advertised steam repo is http://spot.fedorapeople.org/steam/steam.repo, just add this to your repos folder and

Code:
          su -c 'yum install steam'
          will get you it. You'll need to make sure to get the 32bit libraries for your graphics card though, instructions are here: http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia (even though it says nVidia, you can just change the nvidia package names to the AMD ones and it works).

Comment

Thanks for all the replays.

There is a little problem, because my mobo has a Killer E2205 network chip and the driver for it reached the kernel from 3.10+. I will have to camp on windows till some distro releases updated images with newest kernel, so I can have network without playing with compiling any quelcom software.

Comment

Originally posted by Tares View Post
              Thanks for all the replays.

There is a little problem, because my mobo has a Killer E2205 network chip and the driver for it reached the kernel from 3.10+. I will have to camp on windows till some distro releases updated images with newest kernel, so I can have network without playing with compiling any quelcom software.
              Well if you choose to go with Ubuntu or an Ubuntu-based distro, you can always pickup updated kernel from the ubuntu kernel mainline page, download them and stick them on a DVD or USB stick then copy them over to your install after and install them.

Comment

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
                Well if you choose to go with Ubuntu or an Ubuntu-based distro, you can always pickup updated kernel from the ubuntu kernel mainline page, download them and stick them on a DVD or USB stick then copy them over to your install after and install them.
                Im quite sure it will not be Ubuntu or Ubuntu-based. I really don't like what developers are doing with this distro.

Other thing is I would like to try a rolling-release distro, because I don't have so much time anymore to install a freshly baked isos every half a year.

Comment

Working...
                X