Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 19 Officially Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fedora 19 Officially Released

    Phoronix: Fedora 19 Officially Released

    On Tuesday morning, Fedora 19 Linux was officially released...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQwMTA

  • #2
    Good job, Fedora developers.

    But Michael, your latest articles make it look like you were really tired back then Sentences starting without capital letters, random links...

    Comment


    • #3
      Great GNOME integration

      The GNOME integration on Ubuntu 13.04 was so bad that I switched to Fedora 19 alpha... It has been running smoothly ever since! I just recommand it!
      Last edited by remjg; 07-02-2013, 12:30 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Yep, Fedora 19 is really great. I'm so happy I switched to Fedora when it was at 17, never want to go back :-D.

        To everyone at Fedora: Thanks! You are great :-).

        And Gnome Shell is shaping up really great, except gpk-application. That's the sole thing they really could make better.
        It just stalls to much "waiting in queue" without any apparent reason, that's a bit frustating.
        And the search function could be improved. Currently you need to know the name of a package, otherwise you won't find it.

        Though I expect this is going to be better with the hawkeye/libresolv stuff.

        But yeah, Fedora is really cool, and everyone should try it out :-)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Honton View Post
          Im sure the Gnomers at Ubuntu are making the best of it. Being Ubuntu based is not easy after all. Different x, different init and so on. This will probaly not get any easier in the future.
          I definitely agree with you. Must be quite hard to keep up with all Canonical decisions and with limited manpower. I'm sure they are doing their best.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BitRot View Post
            And Gnome Shell is shaping up really great, except gpk-application. That's the sole thing they really could make better.
            It just stalls to much "waiting in queue" without any apparent reason, that's a bit frustating.
            And the search function could be improved. Currently you need to know the name of a package, otherwise you won't find it.
            Definitely the biggest setback when you come from Ubuntu like me. I wonder when "Software" replacement will be ready, I like the designs they are providing.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Honton View Post
              There was a bug a few weeks ago related to the app locking up when promted by many updates. Reportd by the fine fedorians and fixed by upstream.


              It is coming to Gnome, but Im not sure about Fedora.
              https://plus.google.com/107928060492...ts/AXAMmAXMoAc
              Richard Hughes who is developing it is a Fedora developer who wrote PackageKit, GNOME Power manager etc and it will be integrated into Fedora as soon as it is ready.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                Richard Hughes who is developing it is a Fedora developer who wrote PackageKit, GNOME Power manager etc and it will be integrated into Fedora as soon as it is ready.
                Sounds good, can't wait for it.
                I already love the designs. :-)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Honton View Post
                  Yes. But Im guessing Fedora wants to stay on YUM by using DNF as a test bed? This is orthogonal to Richards approach on Gnome-software. I might be very wrong on this. Im only guessing.
                  GNOME UI will be a frontend to distro package management tools with some additional functionality to manage other type of components such as application bundles in a sandbox. An intermediate layer like the PackageKit API can abstract out the distro specific implementation details. Fedora will continue to use yum for native package management.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Honton View Post
                    Im sure the Gnomers at Ubuntu are making the best of it. Being Ubuntu based is not easy after all. Different x, different init and so on. This will probaly not get any easier in the future.
                    Hasn't the main Ubuntu GNOME packager quit for “real life” reasons?
                    Anyway: I’ve said it about Kubuntu and I say it about Ubuntu GNOME. The attachment to the Ubuntu base OS is completely irrational.
                    Fedora and openSUSE are both fine options for GNOME fans.

                    If one finds Fedora not easy enough to use, there is also Korora’s Fedora remix that was also updated to version 19 today: https://kororaproject.org/korora-19-bruce-released/

                    Originally posted by Honton View Post
                    Yes. But Im guessing Fedora wants to stay on YUM by using DNF as a test bed? This is orthogonal to Richards approach on Gnome-software. I might be very wrong on this. Im only guessing.
                    DNF will become YUM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      nice that its done finally

                      2 points:

                      1.

                      first I run into a bug or better my dad run into it ^^ some pdfs look ok in evience but if you print preview or print there is a blue layer over the document if you print it with a black-white printer it prints a black page... think thats because they updated to a very new cups version?

                      Does somebody else have such problems (its not on every pdf like that but some) and I dont think I can upload this pdf files because sensible data is on it.

                      yes I know I should report that bug, if I have some time I do it ^^

                      2.

                      what do you need if you want radeon-vdpau working?

                      mesa 9.2 is in fedora so that should be ok.
                      I also installed a kernel 3.10 version:

                      Code:
                      sudo yum install fedora-release-rawhide
                      sudo yum update kernel --enablerepo=rawhide
                      sudo yum install libva-vdpau-driver libva-utils
                      maybe set this env variable:

                      Code:
                      export VDPAU_DRIVER=r600
                      set in a player vdpau as driver did I miss something? havent tested yet ^^

                      I post that a bit as question and a bit as manual or start point for others who want that get working

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BitRot View Post
                        Yep, Fedora 19 is really great. I'm so happy I switched to Fedora when it was at 17, never want to go back :-D.

                        To everyone at Fedora: Thanks! You are great :-).

                        And Gnome Shell is shaping up really great, except gpk-application. That's the sole thing they really could make better.
                        It just stalls to much "waiting in queue" without any apparent reason, that's a bit frustating.
                        And the search function could be improved. Currently you need to know the name of a package, otherwise you won't find it.

                        Though I expect this is going to be better with the hawkeye/libresolv stuff.

                        But yeah, Fedora is really cool, and everyone should try it out :-)
                        Yeah, we know for sure there are some issues with PK. I believe there's work ongoing to reduce the necessity of exclusive locks as much as possible, and there are a few different plans for providing a better UI for 'installing software' (as opposed to a 'package management' UI, which is more or less what gpk is). Thanks for the feedback!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by AdamW View Post
                          Yeah, we know for sure there are some issues with PK. I believe there's work ongoing to reduce the necessity of exclusive locks as much as possible, and there are a few different plans for providing a better UI for 'installing software' (as opposed to a 'package management' UI, which is more or less what gpk is). Thanks for the feedback!

                          Isn't the 0.9.8 branch of package kit all about reducing locks?


                          back on topic of the release... "fedup --network 19" ran as expected, minus that it uninstalls the grub theme for some reason, but otherwise a seem less update.


                          fresh install also ran as expected, no hiccups. That being said, why no grub theme? I no its not a big deal, just seems odd that 18 had one and 19 is just a black and white menu. Also, as of 2 days ago, encryption on ssd's is still broken but thats a systemd / dracut problem not an installer problem.


                          Otherwise a great release, good job fedora team

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                            Isn't the 0.9.8 branch of package kit all about reducing locks?
                            I don't recall specific versions, but I'm pretty sure there's still fresh work planned.


                            Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                            back on topic of the release... "fedup --network 19" ran as expected, minus that it uninstalls the grub theme for some reason
                            That would be https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=975800 , we are fixing it right now (it was supposed to be fixed already, but the fix was faulty). 'yum install grub2-starfield-theme' will get the theme back if you want it.

                            Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                            but otherwise a seem less update.
                            Yay!

                            Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                            fresh install also ran as expected, no hiccups. That being said, why no grub theme? I no its not a big deal, just seems odd that 18 had one and 19 is just a black and white menu.
                            So, the fact it gets lost on upgrade is just a bug (see above). But fresh F19 installs do actually use an un-themed, console mode grub2. There's a few reasons for this. Themed graphical grub2 seems to be very slow on some systems, for one thing. We ran into various problems with the modesetting and theming stuff for the releases we were using it; pjones and I and others are now of the general opinion that just using console mode is likely the safest thing to do for the foreseeable future. And theming grub turned out just not to look that great if you take a step back and look at the whole boot process - we had this vision a few releases back that we'd try to keep the entire boot process very visually consistent, with grub, bootsplash and gdm all using the same background and minimizing mode switches, but that's just not all in place at present, so it actually looks more jarring to do a modeswitch / theme for grub2 then suddenly jump back to console mode briefly while plymouth comes up, then modeset again and show an entirely different image (the 'plain blue background with a Fedora logo' bootsplash) than it does to simply use console mode for grub.

                            Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                            Also, as of 2 days ago, encryption on ssd's is still broken but thats a systemd / dracut problem not an installer problem.
                            How do you mean 'broken'? I'm running F19 on my laptop with encrypted LVM and it works fine so far as I can see.

                            Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                            Otherwise a great release, good job fedora team
                            Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                              what do you need if you want radeon-vdpau working?
                              Depends on which VDPAU you want. radeon has both shader-based VDPAU and UVD. If you want the latter, make sure the correct firmware is loaded.

                              Originally posted by AdamW View Post
                              Yeah, we know for sure there are some issues with PK. I believe there's work ongoing to reduce the necessity of exclusive locks as much as possible, and there are a few different plans for providing a better UI for 'installing software' (as opposed to a 'package management' UI, which is more or less what gpk is). Thanks for the feedback!
                              openSUSE has been there, done that. Apparently 12.2 was really bad with PackageKit locks (at the time I just outright uninstalled Apper, so I don't actually have firsthand experience with it), and 12.3 solved that. There's a prompt asking you whether you want to attempt to tell PackageKit to go away if it just so happens to be trying to run when you start YaST. And they also have plans for some "app store", although I couldn't care less (YaST Qt software manager is pretty much already as good as it gets).

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X