Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 19 Officially Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Don't be lazy I reinstall everything, and it keeps PCs clean. It's a good incentive to remove unnecessary data off your disk, and also roots out any possible problems with misconfiguration that can arise between different versions. And if you think it's a pain to reinstall every 6 months, you can use a distro with a slower release cycle Or just don't upgrade at all. If it's not broken, don't fix it. Our laptop in the household still runs on openSUSE 12.2, because it works just fine. I'll upgrade only once 12.2 goes out of support.
    I save the commands I use in a text file. On a new system I just copy/paste. My favorite is su -c 'yum install program1 program2 ... '

    Don't upgrade:
    Now this is silly. There's too much improvements in GNOME alone to stick to Fedora 18 which is limited to Gnome 3.6.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Don't be lazy I reinstall everything, and it keeps PCs clean. It's a good incentive to remove unnecessary data off your disk, and also roots out any possible problems with misconfiguration that can arise between different versions. And if you think it's a pain to reinstall every 6 months, you can use a distro with a slower release cycle Or just don't upgrade at all. If it's not broken, don't fix it. Our laptop in the household still runs on openSUSE 12.2, because it works just fine. I'll upgrade only once 12.2 goes out of support.
      Generally i upgrade Fedora after 3 - 4 versions have shipped, even though it means going for 2 releases without support. The main thing is to make sure that that the repositories stay active so that it is possible to pull any dependencies that may be needed for certain stuff down the line.

      generally if one installs all the *-devel packages and essential *.i686 packages for glibc, mesa, x, libstdc++, GTK2, GTK3, Qt4, Pulseaudio. JSon, etc etc (assuming 64-bit Fedora is installed) from the repositories there should be little to no need to ever touch the package manager for anything else for a very, very long time.

      Comment


      • #33
        Great Fedora release! I have it on my work computer, upgraded with fedup and it works like a charm. In my home I have a Debian Sid installed, I like it too, but I will change it to Fedora when it comes with Wayland. Keep the good work!

        It's only left the rolling release system and it will be my perfect distro... dreaming!

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Bucic View Post
          Don't upgrade:
          Now this is silly. There's too much improvements in GNOME alone to stick to Fedora 18 which is limited to Gnome 3.6.
          In which case you should be fine with reinstalling.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Sergio View Post
            I've had the worst Linux experiences with Fedora (particularly 18 and 16), that I think I'll pass this time (the only reason I kept trying was because my first Linux experience was with Fedora (Fedora Core 6, I think)). Last time neither proprietary nor open-source video drivers worked so had to fallback to VESA (open-source for Intel and AMD didn't recognize the models, and I upgraded to the latest with yum; proprietary Catalyst seg faulted).
            Thats....bizarre. Name and models of your cards? Unless you have PowerVR graphics, you should be golden with Intel graphics on linux. AMD supports everything back to r300 which should handle most things that are still in use and usable. If Catalyst segfaulted its possible that you were using a version of catalyst that didn't support the version of X you were on, you have to remember that Catalyst lags behind on supporting X versions by sometimes months at a time.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by lovenemesis View Post
              If you may share your device specification, many of Fedora guys here might help.

              Fedora 19 is equipped with latest open source graphic stack. It should be fine with majority of GPUs.
              Fedora is supposed to 'just work' out of the box, like Ubuntu; if I want to tweak here and there, I do so explicitly by using Gentoo. I just had time to look at X's logs, upgraded to the devel versiones of the drivers, try Catalyst, and take a look at the logs again to see what failed. Not even the drivers from devel recognized the chips, and Catalyst broke X. Sorry, but VESA is not an option.
              Another thing I really disliked was the new installer. Has it changed? I found it the most anti intuitive installer I've seen in my life.

              Comment


              • #37
                Which GPU(s) do you have ?

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Sergio View Post
                  Another thing I really disliked was the new installer. Has it changed? I found it the most anti intuitive installer I've seen in my life.
                  Yes the installer changed with F18. It was pretty rough in F18, but F19 smoothed out most of the things I hated (I do wish there was an option to enable compression if you select BTRFS as the install-target, maybe F20). It still has a few things that bug the crap out of me, but for the most part its pretty good.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Sergio View Post
                    Another thing I really disliked was the new installer. Has it changed? I found it the most anti intuitive installer I've seen in my life.
                    This. I was too scared to install F19 because I didn't know what the installer was going to do after I selected the partition. Horrible setup.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Have there been any significant changes in wifi drivers or power management (from 18 to 19)? I'm experiencing an annoying regression where whenever I'm downloading something wlp3s0 consumes over 12W and I get about 1% of battery drained per minute.

                      Don't mean to knock on an otherwise great release.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        @Kosta and Sergio,
                        Could you provide the hardware specification of your system?

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Kostas View Post
                          Have there been any significant changes in wifi drivers or power management (from 18 to 19)? I'm experiencing an annoying regression where whenever I'm downloading something wlp3s0 consumes over 12W and I get about 1% of battery drained per minute.

                          Don't mean to knock on an otherwise great release.
                          Whats your network adapter?

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by teahopper View Post
                            This. I was too scared to install F19 because I didn't know what the installer was going to do after I selected the partition. Horrible setup.
                            .
                            Play around with it in a VM,you get used to it. I wish things were more obvious than the 'full disk report and summary." I get what the fedora devs were trying to do with the new installer... but a part of me kind of wishes they had just copied Ubuntu's ubiquity. Ubiquity had the right idea and the right designs principals, it was simple, direct, obvious, and fast.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                              @Kosta and Sergio,
                              Could you provide the hardware specification of your system?
                              Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                              Whats your network adapter?
                              I got an Asus K53SM which according to "lspci | grep -i wireless" has an Intel Centrino Wireless-N 100.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                hmm sadly there is no xbmc version 13 availible and the version 12 does not work with radeon vdpau.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X