Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 19 Release Candidate 1 Is Ready

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fedora 19 Release Candidate 1 Is Ready

    Phoronix: Fedora 19 Release Candidate 1 Is Ready

    The hope is to officially release Fedora 19 next week while out quietly today is the release candidate...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM5NTU

  • #2
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Fedora 19 Release Candidate 1 Is Ready

    The hope is to officially release Fedora 19 next week while out quietly today is the release candidate...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM5NTU
    Just for comparison, and to immediately shut down all the "It didnt ship on time!!" people... Fedora 18 was 2 months late. This release was 1month late, and honestly is a much better (in terms of features) release. Congrats to the Fedora team, I plan on doing a FedUp upgrade on release-day to see how it goes-- will report back, but I will be wiping and installing overtop of it afterwards just because I'm changing around partitions.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Just for comparison, and to immediately shut down all the "It didnt ship on time!!" people... Fedora 18 was 2 months late. This release was 1month late, and honestly is a much better (in terms of features) release. Congrats to the Fedora team, I plan on doing a FedUp upgrade on release-day to see how it goes-- will report back, but I will be wiping and installing overtop of it afterwards just because I'm changing around partitions.
      Don't care if its late. Its semi-not-far-off, and totally free. Try finding a non-free OS that ships that close to on-time.

      Comment


      • #4
        I don't understand how I can download it.

        The original mailing list post seems a bit cryptic too me. Fedora's mirrors only have F19 Alpha and Beta versions.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by birdie View Post
          I don't understand how I can download it.

          The original mailing list post seems a bit cryptic too me. Fedora's mirrors only have F19 Alpha and Beta versions.
          https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt...19-TC1/Fedora/

          Click your architecture and then 'iso' and then your download link. Fedora names release candidates as "TC" 's, if I remember right it stands for Test Candidate but regardless-- there ya go

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm running Fedora 19 since beta, and it's been a really smooth ride so far.
            Especially Gnome Shell 3.8 is a real improvement over 3.6, I like how Gnome is incrementally getting better and better. :-)

            And if Adam is reading this: Thank you. I know the QA people got a lot of flak for Anaconda in 18, but don't let that demotivate you,
            Anaconda in 19 is really better than in 18, and I encourage everyone to try it out once 19 is fully released.

            In fact, I recently converted my parents PCs from Windows to Fedora (18), and even they really like it, especially the slick interface of Gnome Shell.

            Good job guys!

            Comment


            • #7
              I just realized there is a MASSIVE typo in my first post...

              CORRECTION: Fedora 18 shipped 2 months late, Fedora 19 is set to ship 1 WEEK late-- not 1month.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt...19-TC1/Fedora/

                Click your architecture and then 'iso' and then your download link. Fedora names release candidates as "TC" 's, if I remember right it stands for Test Candidate but regardless-- there ya go
                Thanks! Obliged.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt...19-TC1/Fedora/

                  Click your architecture and then 'iso' and then your download link. Fedora names release candidates as "TC" 's, if I remember right it stands for Test Candidate but regardless-- there ya go
                  That is really the test candidate from a while back (see the date in the files). If you want RC1, get it from

                  http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/19-RC1/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    That is really the test candidate from a while back (see the date in the files). If you want RC1, get it from

                    http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/19-RC1/
                    Thanks for the correction Rahul, perhaps that could be made more obvious in the mailing list announcement next time. I only found the link that I did by best guess and what 'looked right.'

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                      Thanks for the correction Rahul, perhaps that could be made more obvious in the mailing list announcement next time. I only found the link that I did by best guess and what 'looked right.'
                      The announcement deliberately doesn't link to the download files directly because you want to atleast read the relevant information first *before* you start downloading but I picked the download link directly from the first link in the announcement.

                      "As per the Fedora 19 schedule [1], Fedora 19 Final Release Candidate 1 (RC1) is now available for testing. Content information, including changes, can be found at https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/5623#comment:18 . Please see the following pages for download links (including delta ISOs) and testing instructions."

                      Go to the ticket and it's all right there.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                        The announcement deliberately doesn't link to the download files directly because you want to atleast read the relevant information first *before* you start downloading but I picked the download link directly from the first link in the announcement.

                        "As per the Fedora 19 schedule [1], Fedora 19 Final Release Candidate 1 (RC1) is now available for testing. Content information, including changes, can be found at https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/5623#comment:18 . Please see the following pages for download links (including delta ISOs) and testing instructions."

                        Go to the ticket and it's all right there.
                        Yeah I saw the ticket, even went to it, I just didn't scroll down far enough to see the link to the DL folder

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Does anyone know if this incredibly annoying bug still exists in f19? https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=695030

                          Really annoyed me when I tried the beta, can't believe gnome keeps releasing with such severe bugs and then ignoring them. Not only does it randomly crash the shell, it can also totally crash gnome causing you to lose any work.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                            Yeah I saw the ticket, even went to it, I just didn't scroll down far enough to see the link to the DL folder
                            The pre-releases (other than alpha or beta) hasn't been widely announced before (and it seems this is the first time Phoronix picking it up) but be aware that the releases are not mirrored (do download only if you are actually testing it and providing your feedback to test list or filing bug reports) and new releases maybe published quite rapidly.

                            It's kind of important to follow the ticket rather than blindly download the releases and in this case, you will know that RC2 is coming out soon and you want to make sure the bugs fixed in between RC1 and RC2 don't affect you (say prevent you from installing it) and if it does, wait for that release and run the relevant tests in the wiki.

                            FWIW, in my experience Fedora 19 pre-releases have been in a much better shape than Fedora 18 in part because Anaconda has settled down after the major rewrite and is only getting incremental bug fixes and minor enhancements and there are no radical new changes in the Fedora 19 release itself other than regular updates like GNOME 3.8 and Java 8.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                              Does anyone know if this incredibly annoying bug still exists in f19? https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=695030

                              Really annoyed me when I tried the beta, can't believe gnome keeps releasing with such severe bugs and then ignoring them. Not only does it randomly crash the shell, it can also totally crash gnome causing you to lose any work.
                              I never had that issue with the beta or any release after that.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X