Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gentoo Starts Work On KDE-Wayland Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gentoo Starts Work On KDE-Wayland Support

    Phoronix: Gentoo Starts Work On KDE-Wayland Support

    Soon it will likely be possible to run a KDE desktop over Wayland using Gentoo Linux with its Portage packages...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM5MTY

  • #2
    That's find and dandy, but what about Nvidia and AMD drivers?. If Canonical gets it's way, we may have NV and AMD telling us that if we want drivers then we need to move to Mir. And that's the whole ballgame. because I see zero point in using something with hacked drivers and no 3D support. Past two days I've been on mailing lists and IRC channels and there isn't a soul that knows anything yet. It's all in wait-and-see mode with a lot of finger pointing.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
      That's find and dandy, but what about Nvidia and AMD drivers?. If Canonical gets it's way, we may have NV and AMD telling us that if we want drivers then we need to move to Mir. And that's the whole ballgame. because I see zero point in using something with hacked drivers and no 3D support. Past two days I've been on mailing lists and IRC channels and there isn't a soul that knows anything yet. It's all in wait-and-see mode with a lot of finger pointing.
      They either support both or neither. That's because both just need EGL. Wayland needs one more specific extension on top of that, but if they are implementing EGL, might as well add that extension while they're at it as well (and in the worst case scenario it can be worked around in software).

      Comment


      • #4
        If there is not to be a 3D support for Wayland well then I think there is no point in using it. Moreover if Valve is targeting Ubuntu, then obviously AMD and Nvidia are going to preferentially write drivers for Ubuntu too. In that case I will be forced to ditch KDE in favor of accelerated Unity.

        Comment


        • #5
          Where did you get the "no 3D" from? At least the free drivers will work fine with Wayland and 3D. And you don't really think that AMD or Nvidia will ditch their professional customers, which are most likely using RHEL or SELD (read: Wayland, not Mir), do you?

          Comment


          • #6
            What makes you think the professional market will move to either, instead of staying on X for the next decade?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by pumrel View Post
              Moreover if Valve is targeting Ubuntu, then obviously AMD and Nvidia are going to preferentially write drivers for Ubuntu too.
              That's not obvious at all, considering that both NVidia and AMD have long said that the only reason they even create their linux drivers is to target the professional workstation market. That's RHEL, not Ubuntu.

              Comment


              • #8
                There's so much FUD about this

                Seriously, guys, it's obvious and it's been obvious for a long time that NVidia is planning to support both Wayland and Mir. Both, because supporting either one essentially gives you support for both.

                And while AMD's fglrx plans are unknown, they'll obviously match any support NVidia has. The only question is how long it will take them before they get around to doing it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have complete confidence Nvidia will support Wayland

                  Here's why:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    Seriously, guys, it's obvious and it's been obvious for a long time that NVidia is planning to support both Wayland and Mir. Both, because supporting either one essentially gives you support for both.

                    And while AMD's fglrx plans are unknown, they'll obviously match any support NVidia has. The only question is how long it will take them before they get around to doing it.
                    If AMD manages to give us proper PM i don't give a fuck what fgrlx and nVidia will do.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                      That's find and dandy, but what about Nvidia and AMD drivers?. If Canonical gets it's way, we may have NV and AMD telling us that if we want drivers then we need to move to Mir. And that's the whole ballgame. because I see zero point in using something with hacked drivers and no 3D support. Past two days I've been on mailing lists and IRC channels and there isn't a soul that knows anything yet. It's all in wait-and-see mode with a lot of finger pointing.
                      What you wrote makes no sense at all. It's gibberish. But it seems to imply that the OSS drivers are dirty hacks with no 3d support, which is obviously wrong. If this post represents your level of understanding, then you really need to do a lot more reading.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by pumrel View Post
                        If there is not to be a 3D support for Wayland well then I think there is no point in using it. Moreover if Valve is targeting Ubuntu, then obviously AMD and Nvidia are going to preferentially write drivers for Ubuntu too. In that case I will be forced to ditch KDE in favor of accelerated Unity.
                        You seem to have taken a que from incorrect information. The OSS drivers do have 3d support and will work with Wayland. So no need to worry about acceleration. It already is working. It has been for a while.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                          That's find and dandy, but what about Nvidia and AMD drivers?. If Canonical gets it's way, we may have NV and AMD telling us that if we want drivers then we need to move to Mir. And that's the whole ballgame. because I see zero point in using something with hacked drivers and no 3D support. Past two days I've been on mailing lists and IRC channels and there isn't a soul that knows anything yet. It's all in wait-and-see mode with a lot of finger pointing.
                          You people are hilarious.

                          Nvidia and AMD are supposed to stop supporting RedHat and SUSE so they can support Ubuntu exclusively? In other words, stop supporting their main customer base, so they can support the vast Ubuntu gaming community?

                          Binary blobs are primarily workstation drivers. Running games is an accident. Linux gamers are a very vocal minority, but they are not their market.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by curaga View Post
                            What makes you think the professional market will move to either, instead of staying on X for the next decade?
                            Why should they? Gnome will have full Wayland support soon, the same is true for KDE, so the main desktops that are used by the two main enterprise distributions support Wayland. Wayland will is faster and more secure than X, so there remains only one reason not to use Wayland: legacy applications. But since things like XWayland exist this reason is not valid, so it is the only logical step to go to Wayland once the enterprise distributions think it is stable enough.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                              Why should they? Gnome will have full Wayland support soon, the same is true for KDE, so the main desktops that are used by the two main enterprise distributions support Wayland. Wayland will is faster and more secure than X, so there remains only one reason not to use Wayland: legacy applications. But since things like XWayland exist this reason is not valid, so it is the only logical step to go to Wayland once the enterprise distributions think it is stable enough.
                              However, the professional market only uses legacy applications.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X