Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RHEL 7 Linux To Use GNOME 3 Classic Mode

Phoronix: RHEL 7 Linux To Use GNOME 3 Classic Mode

For those not out in Boston this week for the 2013 Red Hat Summit, new details on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.0 have emerged...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM4ODg

Gnome 3 isn't good enough for RedHat

If it's not good enough for RedHat ...

Comment

RHEL 7 - Great Choice

Distros going to composited 3D desktop libs and touch-centric design has driven away people who use Linux on refurb hardware, VMs, remotes/terminals, etc.

These are the scenarios where Linux used to shine (where windows can't compete). But its been a mess the last few years.

It's great news that we might have a modern distro that forgoes developer ego, in favor of actual usability.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
        If it's not good enough for RedHat ...
        Erm, Classic Mode is a part of GNOME 3. It is the Shell with a set of extensions.

Comment

Originally posted by bernieplugable View Post
          Distros going to composited 3D desktop libs and touch-centric design has driven away people who use Linux on refurb hardware, VMs, remotes/terminals, etc.

These are the scenarios where Linux used to shine (where windows can't compete). But its been a mess the last few years.

It's great news that we might have a modern distro that forgoes developer ego, in favor of actual usability.
          Classic mode is a composited 3D accelerated desktop - it's the Shell with a set of extensions - and the design of the basic Shell is not remotely touch-centric. Have you tried using it on a touch screen? It doesn't work that well.

Comment

lol

no one wants to use gnome 3 shell... its simply bad

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
              no one wants to use gnome 3 shell... its simply bad
              Simply wrong.

Comment

lol

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                Simply wrong.
                you use it? lol

Comment

Red Hat not eating its own dog food and going for the non-default option by default. Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                    you use it? lol
                    Not sure about them, but I use it on a daily basis at work... and it works just fine for me.

Radeon 5400 w/ OSS drivers
                    2x 1080p monitors
                    Gnome Shell (3.8)
                    Ubuntu 13.04

I've usually got 2-3 workspaces open on each monitor, and things are nice and fast/stable for me. It definitely lets me get my work done (Java/JSP/Web Dev).

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                      Red Hat not eating its own dog food and going for the non-default option by default. Interesting.
                      Red Hat developers develop the Classic Mode too. And the RH staff who work on Shell, use Shell. (So do I).

Comment

Just hope gnome 3 got better at working in VM, it kind of sucked last time I tried, if you didn't also have gnome 3 running has your client DE. But other then that I admit I always found gnome 3 to be fine, especially since I very much like the automated virtual desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                          Classic mode is included and available by default since Gnome 3.8. Simply select it from GDM.

Comment

I think it's a clever choice, as it stays visually close to gnome 2.x style, therefore not losing corporate people (primary "client" of the distro) with a brand new ui to their eyes they have to learn, so almost no work-time lost.

Laugh if you want, but it has been the Microsoft Mantra for years (it begins to change with Windows 8, where touch interfaces and cross-platform coherence calls for a bigger change). And it worked, not only because you can use the same software, but because it has the same overall look and feel across years.

I don't know how it is called in english, but there's a phenomenon called (french translation) resistance to change. Common people (even those who use computers every day, at home and/or at work) don't want to re-learn things as basic as user-interface (not talking about the ERP, a mess I could see in my previous job, people were all lost, even those theorically more skilled than me). After migrating my laptop to Wheezy, I am myself struggling with tuning KDE interface to get some personal windows-era behaviour back, even if I'm used to manipulate different UIs every day.

So for people going from previous Red Hat flavours (from 5.x or even 6.x), it's a very good choice, as upgrade won't be so harsh visually speaking.

Comment

Which classic?

Will they be using the GNOME Classic Session which has deprecated by GNOME, or will they use GNOME Shell with the new classic extensions?

Either way, I am a fan of Classic Session, and not found of gnome-shell at all.
                              I hope Red Hat makes it great.

Comment

Working...
                              X