No announcement yet.

Fedora 19 Beta Released With Lots Of New Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what you are basically saying is: "No, I have not filed a bug report and I won't do it. Nonetheless I expect the distro to be bug-free, the developers should read my mind and fix that now, in this moment!"

You see how that can't work out, don't you?

Comment

No if I am not commited to a distro I will not make a bug report for it... especialy when I tried once and nothing happend for weeks or months after it.

And its a extremly simple thing, its like you build a pc and the on-button does not work... its obvious its no random cornercase, on a special hardware or something.

If it works in fedora 18 I learned my lesson on fedora you cant install fedora with a beta version beta means for fedora then pre-pre-pre-alpha and final is then the beta version.... ok if that so I maybe accept it or not... I did also never get such warning message in ubuntu that it is buggy so I should have maybe got it, that fedoras beta worse than ubuntu alpha...

its pretty normal that users that try to install your os, first time more or less and fail... will most likely not make a bug report, only users that used your distri some time will maybe start to make bug reports... its nice to have the possibility to make bug reports not like for windows or something like that. But you cant except people do that if they are new to your distro.

if it fails on the most basic thing it could do (install) switching distro is more likely happen.

Ok maybe I learned from every other distro that under lniux beta is more stable than version 1.0 golden update 25 under windows but redhat tries to match windows version numbering... so ok I dont use this alpha-beta whatever... we will see I just made a usb for fedora 18, thats the test, if it works there I maybe learned my lesson not using any fedora betas ever again except I try to wipe my harddisks or something like that.

If it works there not too, I learned that fedora is no proffessional distribution. We will see in a few minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
        No if I am not commited to a distro I will not make a bug report for it... especialy when I tried once and nothing happend for weeks or months after it.

And its a extremly simple thing, its like you build a pc and the on-button does not work... its obvious its no random cornercase, on a special hardware or something.

If it works in fedora 18 I learned my lesson on fedora you cant install fedora with a beta version beta means for fedora then pre-pre-pre-alpha and final is then the beta version.... ok if that so I maybe accept it or not... I did also never get such warning message in ubuntu that it is buggy so I should have maybe got it, that fedoras beta worse than ubuntu alpha...

its pretty normal that users that try to install your os, first time more or less and fail... will most likely not make a bug report, only users that used your distri some time will maybe start to make bug reports... its nice to have the possibility to make bug reports not like for windows or something like that. But you cant except people do that if they are new to your distro.

if it fails on the most basic thing it could do (install) switching distro is more likely happen.

Ok maybe I learned from every other distro that under lniux beta is more stable than version 1.0 golden update 25 under windows but redhat tries to match windows version numbering... so ok I dont use this alpha-beta whatever... we will see I just made a usb for fedora 18, thats the test, if it works there I maybe learned my lesson not using any fedora betas ever again except I try to wipe my harddisks or something like that.

If it works there not too, I learned that fedora is no proffessional distribution. We will see in a few minutes.
        LOL, you want professional stuff, go for RHEL. Fedora is pretty much just testing ground for it.

Comment

ok at least it just did not give me the option to make a custom layout. So I could choose to use lvm layout but only on a clean disk or make automaticly a layout with a new volume group.

I find that a funny way to support lvm, we support somewhat a bit lvm. if you have no existing lvm volume group already.

But at least it does not give me a error I dont have the option to select a volume and set mountpoint to / and so it fails because of that, so its there at least no bug.

So some kind of quality control at least there.

Still impossible to install fedora now to a existing volume in a existing volume group. (or non-existing volume does not matter both failed).

and that I am pretty shure is not a special problem here its generell if you want to install fedora to a existing volume on a volume group you maybe have to install fedora 17 or something where anaconda wasnt there. GENERAL on every machine.

I am pretty shure, yes I even testet that yesterday, on my laptop there was exact the same problem. so this will happen always in the described case.

So basicly 1/10 of all installations will fail, because of this bug.

Comment

omg, failed to install fedora. seems that its impossible to install on a 12gb logical volume in a existing volume group.

I even created the volume outside of anaconda, rebootet several times... but I can assign / to it, it seems to accept all but if I press done it comes a warning and it says that not enough space like 100mb or so.
            It seems you attempted to do a fresh install by using the remaining free space. Based on your description, did you check if you properly assign the volume to the right place? Have you check how much space left inside the /.? If possible, post pictures so readers can visualize the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
              LOL, you want professional stuff, go for RHEL. Fedora is pretty much just testing ground for it.
              I mean professional in desktop perspective not in a 1000 day running server with 10mio apache requests per day...

I mean professional in terms of how long reaction times are when you report a bug, that somebody give you some response in a week or so at least if not 24hours. And if its only a "wontfix" or "invalid" change or something with maybe a small oneliner why.

I nearly embarised to say it, but professional as far as ubuntu is professional.

I dont mean enterprise... I dont get the enterprise thing anyway... ok if you need something for a mars rover that costs you 1billion if something crashes I dont want to use maybe any ubuntu or fedora or something like that...

But ok I get it now Fedora stable = more unstable than every ubuntu alpha...

if thats the case maybe its natural because ubuntu is more conservative ok... but again its pretty bad... I mean on every other distry I have some alternate installer or chroot-install-path...

So again lets say I am wrong if I want something usable I go RH-1000-dollar-thing... else fedora will always be the pre-alpha state for the real redhat distri... so fedora is not targeted for desktop users not even the ones with console skills and the ones that compiled kernels and stuff like that. who should use it then?

Whats the target, is it a kind of proof of concept distro for gnome-"os" or what?

only a meta-distro to make other distries? If I am so wrong about excepting it a replacement for a ubuntu for somebody that always switches to the next ubuntu when alpha is out because he feels bored and feels that the old desktop is to old... and somebody who is pissed switching away from gnome and other stuff they did?

Am I here totaly wrong? I thought arch linux is the geek distro that is not for linux beginners? At least it does everything you want it to do...

sorry I am overreacting shurly but I like the idea of non-rolling distries for some of my machines. I even got over my rpm based distro hate ^^. I try really hard. I thought maybe I will hate fedora when upgrades to next version will fail or something like that... or stuff that worked break more often... so I wanted to collect impressions to desite in 6 months or so if I have found a new home, but it seems its just impossible to even collect this 6 months of experience because it fails to just make a basic installation.

omg. If a distro has to do one thing, it should be able to install itself... if its the worst distro that is garbage on every other point but thats the first thing I get working.

But I try to calm down... doenst help... so I just have no good choice at all... there is no other distro that is not old like hell (debian stable) and is non-rolling and has no cameleons all over the place

companies seem to fail as linux-distributionars, so community based distro seem the only way to get something good on your machines.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                It seems you attempted to do a fresh install by using the remaining free space. Based on your description, did you check if you properly assign the volume to the right place? Have you check how much space left inside the /.? If possible, post pictures so readers can visualize the problem.
                asign a volume to a place? what do you mean with that? I can create a volume in a volume group I can assign / to it, I even klicked then the format it, I selected ext4 if it was not selected. I pressed even that button right at the bottom to assing or something. It shows than the existing swap volume and the fedora and has assiged it to /.

is there a additional thing to do than assign it to / and then press done after that?

hmm making photos is bad because I would have to make real photos ok I could make it with my defy and then upload it... I think here is 2:40 a.m. so maybe I do it tomorow...

sorry for spamming flames or flaming ^^ but it just makes a big barricade to my plans (if that makes sense in english) ^^

Comment

ok at least it just did not give me the option to make a custom layout..
                  Which is "it"? Fedora 18 does give such an option, I've used it. Its just no longer marked "custom layout" in F18 Anaconda as world+dog had come to expect. Please see http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/...oning-x86.html

Comment

People new to a distribution shouldn't use a beta version in the first place, the same as people that don't expect bugs shouldn't run a beta version. That is a quite simple concept, that you for some reason don't seem to grasp.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                      People new to a distribution shouldn't use a beta version in the first place, the same as people that don't expect bugs shouldn't run a beta version. That is a quite simple concept, that you for some reason don't seem to grasp.
                      I would not have problems with problems in betas so in the distribution... in the packages... but not so big bugs in the installer.

And sorry maybe I used the wrong software till now, most of the time linux-alphas were more stable than windows-finals most of the time.

That said... I tried just to make the screenshots about the bugs, but than something suprising happend, doing nothing different in the partition screen it worked.

Maybe its because I selected english us on the first screen instead of german even it would be cracy that that relates to each other.

maybe its because I had connected my phone on the usb or something. I dont know but it did install. So its no generall bug, I maybe will install it on other pcs next days. So I see if that happens again with german language selected or what.

If it not happens again I try to reproduce it on this pc.

I rebootet yesterday the installation 3-4 times so it was reproducable.

So... I am calmed... I think you sometimes have to rage a bit to get things done... if somebody took my rant personaly or something I am sorry.

thanx for the feedback. If I can reproduce it I make photos or I think if its the language thing I dont even really need many screenshots. maybe what the mainscreens says after I made the custom partitioning.

Comment

Working...
                      X