Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mageia 3 Released, Still Using Legacy GRUB

Phoronix: Mageia 3 Released, Still Using Legacy GRUB

At long last the third major version of Mageia, the popular community fork of Mandriva Linux, is now available. There's a lot of new stuff to Mageia 3 like a new version of RPM and updated systemd, but the distribution is still not shipping GRUB2 by default...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM3NTU

Sadly?

GRUB is still being used as the default boot-loader while GRUB2 is only available for testing, sadly while many other Linux distributions have been already depending upon GRUB2 for years.
    Sadly? Grub2 in my eyes is the second worst thing, right after Gnome3, that happend to desktop Linux in recent years.
    Why do things the simple way if you can make it really hard and complex...

Comment

mouting iso's in a loop? uefi support? a richer feature set?

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
        mouting iso's in a loop? uefi support? a richer feature set?
        Mounting ISOs in a loop are a special case that almost no one ever uses. UEFI support? Just use Elilo or gummiboot. And which of the features that other bootloaders do not have are people actually using? And is it worth the downsides, like having to write scripts for a bootloader?

Comment

I'd say the best thing that GRUB2 offers is lower maintenance burden. The legacy GRUB has to patched like nothing else to function adequately.
          They could ship LILO, though. Or SYSLINUX. But I suppose going to GRUB2 is the logical step, just that they need to make sure it's stable enough before doing the upgrade. No need to rush, after all.

Comment

Good for them, I dislike Grub 2. In distros that use that I usually still have to edit the grub.cfg file manually, despite dire admonishments, because the scripts tend to do silly things like add any partition with a Windows filesystem and automatically create pointless stanzas for "failsafe" boot modes for each kernel image it finds etc. Most of the times that I have to reconfigure my boot loader, all that would need changing is a few characters in filenames. For me personally, Grub 2 is a whole pile of unnecessary complexity.

The original grub had some strange syntax, but once you understood it, it wasn't hard to use. Redhat based distros had scripts like "grubby" that automatically took care of the distro stanzas when you install kernel RPMs. They didn't touch your custom stanzas either, if you build your own kernels your way.

I still use LILO myself. It's simple, filesystem agnostic and has no choice but to work when properly used. Its main drawback is its strength... the direct mappings that have to be (re)established when you add or change a kernel image. That can be an inconvenience, but even in the worst case where the system won't boot, or there are no other kernels to boot to get in and run the lilo command, it's easy enough to boot with a CD and specify root= or even just boot with other media and chroot to run lilo.

Comment

Finally one that make sense..

Grub 0.97 just work, easy to use, easy to change parameters of a collection of kernels using different parameters..
              Grub 1.9x is just a stack of complication compared to grub 0.97.

Comment

I installed with grub2... asks in setup. and works perfectly.. very stable... very fast...

Comment

Originally posted by thedeli View Post
                  I installed with grub2... asks in setup. and works perfectly.. very stable... very fast...
                  And now go compile a new kernel, add some kernel boot parameters and if posible remove the initrd

Comment

Originally posted by thedeli View Post
                    And now compile a new kernel and add some boot parameters to it (that resist to updates)

Comment

Downloaded and will be making the switch from Ubuntu tonight. I really like the philosophies of this distro. Community focus, extremly open including finacial reports, and a non-profit organisation. What more could you ask for.

Comment

I agree that Grub2 can be hard to use, but I think that's the fault of distributions not making it possible to turn off the automatic grub.cfg generator script and allowing you to edit yourself. I've run Grub2 on Debian/Ubuntu and on Gentoo, and I think Grub2 is much less of a burden to use on Gentoo than on Debian/Ubuntu because it doesn't overwrite your configuration unless you tell it to.

Here's my grub.cfg file:
                        Code:
                        menuentry "Gentoo" {
                                set root=(hd0,1)
                                linux /boot/gentoo-kernel root=/dev/sda1 init=/usr/bin/systemd
                        }

menuentry "Windows" {
                                set root=(hd0,2)
                                chainloader +1
                        }
                        Nice and simple.

I think Grub2, within itself, is easier (not simpler) to use than Grub Legacy, but distributions make it more complicated than it has to be.

Comment

Mageia is so 2000

Comment

Only the Live ISOs cannot use Grub2.

Grub2 is available as an option in the DVD installer version of Mageia 3:

One major bug still affects installation from any live iso. Workaround would be to install with grub and install grub2 after first boot.

Grub2 can now be selected during classic installer and may be installed to the MBR or, if a partition is selected then grub2's core.img (kernel) is written to /boot/grub2/i386-pc/core.img. This allows for multi-booting from either grub legacy or grub2. (see /usr/share/doc/grub2/README.Mageia. For chainloading it is possible to force the install to a partition boot sector with: grub2-install --force /dev/sdxy which uses blocklists, however this is NOT recommended.

Grub2 is now integrated into drakboot and the bootloader may be changed using this utility, however the menu cannot yet be customized from drakboot. There is a standalone utility in the repositories (grub-customizer), which may be used if it is felt necessary to modify the grub2 menu manually. Alternatively there are native grub2 options for manually adding to the menus. (see /usr/share/doc/grub2/README.Mageia)
                            Mageia is nice, way better than Mandriva. I'd rank it in the same vein as OpenSUSE for the following reasons:

- Reasonably up-to-date packages (version differs by about +-0.1 or +-0.0.1 from the latest upstream
                            - Reasonably recent kernel (usually just a 0.1 release slower although I prefer to roll my own from kernel.org)
                            - 32bit glibc, libstdc++ and X libraries are already preloaded; no having to dig around for them like with Fedora and the Debian-based distributions.

What i truly, truly cannot stand about Mageia is the urpmi package manager. Rpmdrake always insists that it has to restart itself to resolve some updated dependencies so the GUI tool is out of the question. And urpmi is so inflexible with queries that if you don't have the full perfect package namestring to query it will always return nothing.
                            Last edited by Sonadow; 05-19-2013, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
                              Mageia is so 2000
                              You do realise that this distro was started at the end of 2010.

Comment

Working...
                              X