Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mageia 3 Released, Still Using Legacy GRUB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    Grub2 requires me to read manuals, to fiddle around in /etc (WTF has a bootloader to do in f*cking /etc anyway?!!11oneoneeleven), it uses XML style for configs and uses a bazillion of files. Then you have to run update-grub or some other script to make it actually valid and being transferred into the /boot partition. Because you shalt not edit grub.conf directly.
    I'm not sure what you're doing to need that... grub-mkconfig should automatically detect all your kernels. Unless you don't use the proper `make install` procedure. And the configuration in /etc is there so you could fine-grain what the mkconfig tool does.

    Comment


    • #22
      GRUB2 annoys me simply because it takes longer than GRUB legacy to init and then begin rendering the bootloader menu, and then once it has started it's another 2-3 seconds until it's complete, even though most of the menu is just empty space (I only have two entries).

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by garegin View Post
        mouting iso's in a loop? uefi support? a richer feature set?
        Whatever happened to just choosing which kernel to boot into and leaving the bloat out of it?

        Comment


        • #24
          I don't understand the hate for grub2, I've not once had a single problem with it. I rarely have to edit it, but when I do its just a matter of editing /etc/default/grub and running grub-mkconfig

          Comment


          • #25
            I also find grub2 too complex and hard to use. I switched to syslinux when Arch deprecated grub1; easy to install and no problem since then.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              I'm not sure what you're doing to need that... grub-mkconfig should automatically detect all your kernels. Unless you don't use the proper `make install` procedure. And the configuration in /etc is there so you could fine-grain what the mkconfig tool does.
              Well, maybe it needs better tutorials / manpages then. And maybe it depends on how distributions implement it. Maybe upstream has reasons to do certain things and e.g. require /etc to be touched and stuff like that but I don't get their point. I still prefer the simplicity of grub1 that just lets me do things in an instant an that seems to be more failsafe.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                I don't understand the hate for grub2, I've not once had a single problem with it. I rarely have to edit it, but when I do its just a matter of editing /etc/default/grub and running grub-mkconfig
                Try dual booting a dm-raid setup, you will understand the hate then.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Absolutely love Mageia 3

                  My 2cts:
                  No thrills, not whistles but absolutely rock solid!
                  Off course not bleeding edge but fairly up to date too!
                  best kde distro I know ( way better then mint, kubuntu or whatever)

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Try dual booting a dm-raid setup, you will understand the hate then.
                    I'd rather sit on a pile of thumbtacks than dual boot anyway

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by DestroyFX View Post
                      And now compile a new kernel and add some boot parameters to it (that resist to updates)
                      The average user does not need to compile their own kernels.

                      On top of that, on Xubuntu, I can update my kernel and keep the boot options I have (no "splash") just fine.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X