Mageia 3 Released, Still Using Legacy GRUB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    Grub2 requires me to read manuals, to fiddle around in /etc (WTF has a bootloader to do in f*cking /etc anyway?!!11oneoneeleven), it uses XML style for configs and uses a bazillion of files. Then you have to run update-grub or some other script to make it actually valid and being transferred into the /boot partition. Because you shalt not edit grub.conf directly.
    I'm not sure what you're doing to need that... grub-mkconfig should automatically detect all your kernels. Unless you don't use the proper `make install` procedure. And the configuration in /etc is there so you could fine-grain what the mkconfig tool does.

Comment

GRUB2 annoys me simply because it takes longer than GRUB legacy to init and then begin rendering the bootloader menu, and then once it has started it's another 2-3 seconds until it's complete, even though most of the menu is just empty space (I only have two entries).

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
        mouting iso's in a loop? uefi support? a richer feature set?
        Whatever happened to just choosing which kernel to boot into and leaving the bloat out of it?

Comment

I don't understand the hate for grub2, I've not once had a single problem with it. I rarely have to edit it, but when I do its just a matter of editing /etc/default/grub and running grub-mkconfig

Comment

I also find grub2 too complex and hard to use. I switched to syslinux when Arch deprecated grub1; easy to install and no problem since then.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              I'm not sure what you're doing to need that... grub-mkconfig should automatically detect all your kernels. Unless you don't use the proper `make install` procedure. And the configuration in /etc is there so you could fine-grain what the mkconfig tool does.
              Well, maybe it needs better tutorials / manpages then. And maybe it depends on how distributions implement it. Maybe upstream has reasons to do certain things and e.g. require /etc to be touched and stuff like that but I don't get their point. I still prefer the simplicity of grub1 that just lets me do things in an instant an that seems to be more failsafe.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                I don't understand the hate for grub2, I've not once had a single problem with it. I rarely have to edit it, but when I do its just a matter of editing /etc/default/grub and running grub-mkconfig
                Try dual booting a dm-raid setup, you will understand the hate then.

Comment

Absolutely love Mageia 3

My 2cts:
                  No thrills, not whistles but absolutely rock solid!
                  Off course not bleeding edge but fairly up to date too!
                  best kde distro I know ( way better then mint, kubuntu or whatever)

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Try dual booting a dm-raid setup, you will understand the hate then.
                    I'd rather sit on a pile of thumbtacks than dual boot anyway

Comment

Originally posted by DestroyFX View Post
                      And now compile a new kernel and add some boot parameters to it (that resist to updates)
                      The average user does not need to compile their own kernels.

On top of that, on Xubuntu, I can update my kernel and keep the boot options I have (no "splash") just fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X