Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manjaro: A Convenient Way To Play With Arch Linux

Phoronix: Manjaro: A Convenient Way To Play With Arch Linux

The Manjaro Linux distribution describes itself as a "user-friendly" version of the popular Arch Linux platform. Manjaro Linux still follows Arch in a rolling-release manner, but it's designed to offer greater user-friendliness and accessbility, complete with an easy installation routine...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1NzI

Those not familiar with Arch : you are supposed to set it up once then you only upgrade the packages online. It's a rolling release.
    Benchmarks (ie Phoronix, Heaven, whatever) are available using Arch
    Good luck to Manjaro

Comment

I'm an Arch user. I recently had a look at Manjaro out of curiosity, frankly i thought it was pretty damn good. Great option for getting a user-friendly Arch desktop setup and running quickly.

Sidenote: nVidia drivers are even bundled on the disc and do operate in live CD mode.

Comment

I'm an Arch user as well and I'm impressed with the Manjaro distro. Even to the point I installed it on my work machine as I was sick of updating Ubuntu on it every six months. I get rolling release minus all the bloody tinkering which I do enjoy but not while I'm at work.

Comment

Problems...

The only problem this distro have is that only one man takes care of all the repos...

Comment

I really liked the concept behind manjaro, but just as they say on their webpage, it has rough edes and is under heavy development still.

My testing stopped with there being no network detected. I don't know if i was expected to manually configure, or if it was just bugged, but i decided to come back when the heavy development warnings are lifted.

Current verdict: Manjaro = Arch done right, but not ready for mainstream Linux users just yet.

Comment

It should be pointed out...

...that Manjaro comes with a few drawbacks.
              Allan Mcrae, Arch developer points them out here: http://allanmcrae.com/2013/01/manjar...for-stability/

Quoting:
              The Arch stable repos are synced into Manjaro Unstable on a roughly daily basis. They sit there for 1-2 weeks before being declared stable and moving to Manjaro Testing. Then their test squad declares that stable enough to move to Manjaro Stable, about 3-4 weeks after the packages arrive in Arch Linux.

And this is the issue. There is four weeks until Manjaro users get package updates. That is still a lot quicker than a non-rolling release distribution I hear you say, but it ignores one of the fundamentals of a rolling release distribution. Security fixes come with a new software release. ...

That means, Manjaro users are vulnerable to security bugs for around a month after Arch users are safe, unless of course the Manjaro Core Team monitors every package and pushes those with security fixes.
              Also of note, there are 'better' (imo) ways available to automate installation and actually get an Archlinux system out of it in the end. See here for example: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=149597

*ducks*

Comment

One of the reasons why Arch Linux isn't commonly used for benchmarking at Phoronix is that it's more time-intensive to setup...
                I'm not an expert, but wouldn't Arch be the perfect distro for someone doing so many reinstalls? You could just script the install procedure, especially now it doesn't have that menu setup that they used to have. Sure, there would be the initial pain of setting up the script. But once that's done, you could tweak the script to specify what you wanted to install (you could put the stuff which changes in an array or something). Then you could kick off the script and then go grab a coffee and come back to an installed system.

Compare that to Ubuntu where there are multiple things you have to attend to during the install. Sure, it's reasonably simple stuff, but you can't kick it off then leave it to quite the same degree you would be able to with Arch and a well written bash script.

Comment

Originally posted by hungerfish View Post
                  That means, Manjaro users are vulnerable to security bugs for around a month after Arch users are safe, unless of course the Manjaro Core Team monitors every package and pushes those with security fixes.
                  But that also means that security problems that are introduced in new versions and found within 4 weeks will never reach the Manjaro user, doesn't it?

Comment

The quality of update scripts in Manjaro is quite horrible, one its results was that if you had edited you mkinitcipio config the update script could break your system. They also use SyncFirst feature of Pacman that was removed in 4.1 because it was deemed broken. They still, at very least the Manjaro users, had the nerve to blame Arch Linux developers for being malicious even though the feature was removed around the same time that Manjaro was first announced in git... over year ago. Carl Duff's, one of the lead developers of Manjaro, comments are so dreadful to read that I can't but wish a downfall for this distribution... which probably won't take too long. My bet is less than a year.

Comment

When you try out Manjaro you try out Manjaro not Arch Linux.

I like how most keep whining that Arch is supposedly so tedious to install and that it takes so long.
                      LOL what a load of horseshit. Setting up Arch is a lot faster than most distros. Installing Arch means typing 6 commands into the terminal.

"gdisk /dev/sda" Press "n" to make a partition". Press "w" to write changes.
                      "mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1"
                      "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt"
                      "pacstrap /mnt base base-devel syslinux"
                      "syslinux-install_update -i -a -m -c /mnt"
                      "genfstab -p /mnt > /mnt/etc/fstab"

Tada. Arch is installed. Reboot. Point the default syslinux config to your root partition and boot it.

Get yourself an ip address with "dhcpd <interface>" and install network manager and enable it with systemd so you have internet right away the next time you boot.
                      Install your prop. graphcs driver which also pulls in xorg.

Want a desktop? Install one of the meta packages and enable the desktop manager with systemd. Create a user. Reboot. Tada there's your Arch Linux destop.

Wow that was super hard and took a full 6-7 minutes.
                      Last edited by blackout23; 04-23-2013, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

I like how most keep whining that Arch is supposedly so tedious to install and that it takes so long.
                        LOL what a load of horseshit. Setting up Arch is a lot faster than most distros. Installing Arch means typing 6 commands into the terminal.

"mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1"
                        "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt"

Tada. Arch is installed. Reboot. Point the default syslinux config to your root partition and boot it.

Get yourself an ip address with "dhcpd <interface>" and install network manager and enable it with systemd so you have internet right away the next time you boot.

Want a desktop? Install one of the meta packages and enable the desktop manager with systemd. Create a user. Reboot. Tada there's your Arch Linux destop.

I've just read that in voice of some in-his-moms-basement-living-nerd sorry

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

"mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1"
                          "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt"

Well, it takes 6-7 minutes if you have a good internet connection and an SSD. But otherwise, yeah, Arch is POTENTIALLY faster to install than most distros. If you use a pretty big collection of programs and don't care about micromanagement then a distro like Ubuntu might be slightly faster to install - at least Ubuntu lets you set up stuff like time zones and user accounts while you wait for everything else to install, which in itself is a time saver.

Anyways, being an Arch user I completely understand Michael not wanting to run tests on Arch, but only due to the rolling-release sense (it's hard to make a benchmark worth documenting when there's no "reference point" aside from the date). With Arch being script-based, it's potentially even faster to install than how Blackout mentioned - and that's with any combination of desktop environments. IMHO, Arch is the best distro to use when doing quick tests between individual software releases such as a new kernel or video drivers. However, Ubuntu is the best distro for real-world tests like comparing between OSes because Ubuntu is the linux standard, as much as none of us want to admit that.

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
                            I've just read that in voice of some in-his-moms-basement-living-nerd sorry
                            +1. For him, in this world, what's linux command is bestowed upon man, and they just understand that. Without learning.

Comment

I use Chakra, another distro that came out of Archlinux. It's been rock stable for me for the past 2 years (no reinstall). I do use it for some light experimenting (running on btrfs, KDE betas and whatnot). For serious crazy experimentation, Gentoo is IMO the way to go : adding patches to the system is brain-dead easy, running git versions of almost anything is even easier. I haven't been able to test git versions safely with Fedora/Ubuntu (Safely = easy rollback)
                              It can also be used as a reference for benchmarks, since its stable repository really is stable. Simply note the versions of the most important packages (glibc, X, pixman...) and you have a stable reference.
                              Both Arch and Gentoo are installable (in their most basic form) within a 10 minute time-frame. And both installs are beatifully scriptable. => I respectfully disagree with Michael's time argument.

Serafean

Comment

Working...
                              X