Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 19 Alpha Cleared For Release Next Week

Phoronix: Fedora 19 Alpha Cleared For Release Next Week

After already being challenged by one delay, the first Alpha release of Fedora 19 is cleared for release next Tuesday...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, I remember Fedora 18 was released just a few months ago.

Luckily after Fedora 14 I switched to CentOS and I've never looked back since then.

I want to run my OS, I don't my OS to run me.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Wow, I remember Fedora 18 was released just a few months ago.

Luckily after Fedora 14 I switched to CentOS and I've never looked back since then.

I want to run my OS, I don't my OS to run me.
      Thats because Fedora 18 was delayed by what? 2 months? 3 months? And to make sure they didn't get out of sync with the projects they purposefully sync to, they kept the fedora 19 schedule the same. Instead of adding 2 or 3 months onto it to keep the 6month cycle.

Fedora 18->19 has a shorten dev schedule (which is okay, there's nothing major happening mainly just ugprades and fine-tunements from F18), Fedora 19->20 should be normal 6months.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        Thats because Fedora 18 was delayed by what? 2 months? 3 months? And to make sure they didn't get out of sync with the projects they purposefully sync to, they kept the fedora 19 schedule the same. Instead of adding 2 or 3 months onto it to keep the 6month cycle.

Fedora 18->19 has a shorten dev schedule (which is okay, there's nothing major happening mainly just ugprades and fine-tunements from F18), Fedora 19->20 should be normal 6months.
        Eric: that's not actually the case any more. There was a tentative plan to do what you described, but in the end FESCo decided against it. F19's dev cycle is the usual six months long. There is nothing unusual at all about F19's cycle, it's a bog-standard Fedora schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
          Eric: that's not actually the case any more. There was a tentative plan to do what you described, but in the end FESCo decided against it. F19's dev cycle is the usual six months long. There is nothing unusual at all about F19's cycle, it's a bog-standard Fedora schedule.
          o.O I completely missed that note, which is weird because I try to follow Fedora news really carefully.

Won't that throw Fedora out of sync with project releases such as Gnome?

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            o.O I completely missed that note, which is weird because I try to follow Fedora news really carefully.

Won't that throw Fedora out of sync with project releases such as Gnome?
            Yeah, but we couldn't realistically compress the F19 cycle. We may try and do something about it with a later release. But for now they're out of sync; GNOME 3.8 is already stable, but F19 won't hit final release for a few months.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
              Yeah, but we couldn't realistically compress the F19 cycle. We may try and do something about it with a later release. But for now they're out of sync; GNOME 3.8 is already stable, but F19 won't hit final release for a few months.
              Good to know... well thanks for the update, Adam, I completely missed the FESco note that said F19 would follow a normal release schedule haha.

Comment

And it really depends on how you count it - with F18 branching day POV, F19 is probably the longest one ever ;-). For F20, we had to do some compression - because of Christmas but it's "no earlier than" version...

Comment

Working...
                X