Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arch Linux Replaces MySQL With MariaDB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Arch Linux Replaces MySQL With MariaDB

    Phoronix: Arch Linux Replaces MySQL With MariaDB

    The latest Linux distribution outting of MySQL is Arch Linux, which has replaced the database solution with MariaDB...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMzNzA

  • #2
    Virtualbox

    I really hope Oracle does not follow the same path with Virtualbox, which is one of my top applications.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by wargames View Post
      I really hope Oracle does not follow the same path with Virtualbox, which is one of my top applications.
      Why not VMWare? Better 3D support for the guests if nothing else.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        Why not VMWare? Better 3D support for the guests if nothing else.
        Unfortunately VMWare is not free. For desktop virtualization there's still no better choice than VirtualBox, for server virtualization absolutely go with QEMU-KVM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Hermit View Post
          Unfortunately VMWare is not free. For desktop virtualization there's still no better choice than VirtualBox, for server virtualization absolutely go with QEMU-KVM.
          Are we talking free as in beer or free as in freedom? 'Cause VMWare does have a free (as in beer) version of its application. I don't know how it compares to the paid one, so it may be crippled in comparison, i moved away from VirtualBox to the free VMWare a while back, never looked at the paid one.

          Comment


          • #6
            So, who thinks eventually MySQL and Hudson will follow in the same footsteps as OpenOffice and go to the Apache Foundation? Java is a different story, I don't ever see them let that one go. It's too well entrenched into everything.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Hermit View Post
              So, who thinks eventually MySQL and Hudson will follow in the same footsteps as OpenOffice and go to the Apache Foundation? Java is a different story, I don't ever see them let that one go. It's too well entrenched into everything.
              They kind of already have.... openjdk is the new official reference implementation. Like Oracle is still technically in charge, but...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                Are we talking free as in beer or free as in freedom? 'Cause VMWare does have a free (as in beer) version of its application. I don't know how it compares to the paid one, so it may be crippled in comparison, i moved away from VirtualBox to the free VMWare a while back, never looked at the paid one.
                I've always used the commercial version of workstation, never used the open source version. Don't know how much feature is missing from that.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  They kind of already have.... openjdk is the new official reference implementation. Like Oracle is still technically in charge, but...
                  But the language specification itself and the JCP, they still have quite a bit of influence over that.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    Are we talking free as in beer or free as in freedom? 'Cause VMWare does have a free (as in beer) version of its application. I don't know how it compares to the paid one, so it may be crippled in comparison, i moved away from VirtualBox to the free VMWare a while back, never looked at the paid one.
                    Free as in freedom, of course. People tend to forget that it's also an objective quality of software.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Hermit View Post
                      So, who thinks eventually MySQL and Hudson will follow in the same footsteps as OpenOffice and go to the Apache Foundation? Java is a different story, I don't ever see them let that one go. It's too well entrenched into everything.
                      For Hudson, it's already done, though it's not gone to Apache but to the Eclipse (if I remember correctly).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by wargames View Post
                        I really hope Oracle does not follow the same path with Virtualbox, which is one of my top applications.
                        Boxes is on a good way to be soon a decent alternative to Oracles VirtualBox OSE. The best feature which comes/came to Boxes 3.8 is the USB redirection IMHO.

                        I already have used Boxes 3.6, but replaced it with VirtualBox again, because the file transfer between guest and host was a bit tricky. So in Gnome 3.8 I will switch again, I guess.

                        (new features in Boxes 3.8: http://zee-nix.blogspot.de/2013/03/w...-boxes-38.html)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
                          Boxes is on a good way to be soon a decent alternative to Oracles VirtualBox OSE. The best feature which comes/came to Boxes 3.8 is the USB redirection IMHO.

                          I already have used Boxes 3.6, but replaced it with VirtualBox again, because the file transfer between guest and host was a bit tricky. So in Gnome 3.8 I will switch again, I guess.

                          (new features in Boxes 3.8: http://zee-nix.blogspot.de/2013/03/w...-boxes-38.html)
                          Is this stuff Gnome-only?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
                            Boxes is on a good way to be soon a decent alternative to Oracles VirtualBox OSE.
                            Boxes ? What an horribly ungooglable name they found here

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Every month I wonder why Oracle ever bought out Sun. They gained Solaris and let that crumble into nothing. They gained Java and made it unappealing to use. They gained Virtualbox and the only feature gains it gets are experimental. They gained OpenOffice and maintained it so poorly LibreOffice became a necessary project. They gained SPARC and AFAIK that's collecting cobwebs. And now this? I'm sure I missed something else but really Oracle - why did you buy Sun? Oracle is seriously causing damage to the open source world.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X