Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentoo-Based Calculate Linux 13 Released

Phoronix: Gentoo-Based Calculate Linux 13 Released

Calculate Linux, one of the nice distributions out there based upon Gentoo, is out with their version 13 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting. I'll give that a shot. I was recently looking around a lot for something Gentooish but binary for an old computer (Duron CPU) I got to fix up quickly so I didn't want to spend too much time with setup and compilation. But not to use some huge distribution or something that doesn't like old hardware. Seems like this might be a solution. And it claims to be Gentoo compatible so once it's set up I could probably maybe seamlessly use my Gentoo knowledge here.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

For a binary Gentoo-based distribution, suggest looking at Sabayon. Very well put together, rolling release with weekly updates, comes in many flavors.

Comment

Originally posted by vitaly66 View Post
        For a binary Gentoo-based distribution, suggest looking at Sabayon. Very well put together, rolling release with weekly updates, comes in many flavors.
        I have used Sabayon. Sabayon is not Gentoo based because it uses another set of utilities for installing that makes a Gentoo user having to be dumb just to use Sabayon. Sabayon developers was inspired of Gentoo and Sabayon developers thinks they can make a better distribution than Gentoo. Sabayon developers has no thought and willing for a distribution that is stable and reliable because they go for the latest version that hurts functionality of the distribution.

I use Calculate Linux and it behaves like Gentoo and with out having to use another set of utilities to install programs. Also Calculate Linux actually is binary based of Gentoo, but you can easily stray from it by using the main Portage tree instead of Calculate's overlay tree. Sabayon is not easy to stray from its tree.

Comment

I once dabbled with Gentoo in the early days and found it to be a PITA to set up so I gave up on it. Currently I use Debian and its been pretty solid as a rock but right now Debian is frozen pending the release of Wheezy real soon now, thus packages are falling behind the latest versions so I might give Calculate a whirl as I got turned off by Sabayon as it was pretty slow

Comment

Working...
          X