Ubuntu 12.10 Now Unredirects Fullscreen Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vitiv View Post
    Oh, I knew that , but I didn't think people get so mad over a default setting that takes 10 seconds to change.
    The problem is that people might not know anything about it. And why should they? That's just an implementation detail of the window manager. At least KDE should be more intelligent about this, and unredirect when an application tries to display video (maybe it could detect that an Xv or VDPAU or GL context is active or something like that.)

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      The problem is that people might not know anything about it. And why should they? That's just an implementation detail of the window manager. At least KDE should be more intelligent about this, and unredirect when an application tries to display video (maybe it could detect that an Xv or VDPAU or GL context is active or something like that.)
      Fullscreen seems like more sane indicator: you wouldn't unredirect windowed apps as they lose composition effects, and for fullscreen you don't need redirection anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by vitiv View Post
        Fullscreen seems like more sane indicator: you wouldn't unredirect windowed apps as they lose composition effects, and for fullscreen you don't need redirection anyways.
        You still do, depending on the application. Desktop effects are needed for menus and other GUI elements.

Comment

Originally posted by Bestia View Post
          Flash and other plugins and also some of the video players are added to the exception list (they are still unredirected in fullscreen). You can also add manually any program to that list via CompizConfig Settings Manager it's in Composite plugin and then Unredirect Match.
          I'm glad they added this, I was worried about them enabling this feature by default because it does cause tearing in fullscreen videos, unless you use opengl output (and on some card/drivers such as intel sandybridge/ivybridge even with opengl output there can still be tearing depending on the video player, for example this happens with vlc's opengl output, but not mplayer's. Also not all players even have an opengl output option, and opengl output is buggy on some drivers)

Comment

Originally posted by Bestia View Post
            Flash and other plugins and also some of the video players are added to the exception list (they are still unredirected in fullscreen). You can also add manually any program to that list via CompizConfig Settings Manager it's in Composite plugin and then Unredirect Match.
            While I don't use a compositing window manager (Mate with xfwm4 here), I'm learning here that a window manager can know when flash is going fullscreen.
            One of the big issues I have in general is when watching a flash video, the screensaver will kick in (or the way it's set up now, instant screen blanking). This leads me to set a large time out for the screensaver (or power management whichever comes first), such as 30 minutes or more. Because I don't want to go bump the mouse or hit ctrl every 5 minutes.

So if the screen saver/power management could be disabled when watching full screen flash, that would be a good thing. Imagine your screen turning black or the "fiber lamp" screensaver showing up every 5 minutes when you watching some hour long thing in mplayer or vlc..
            I'm wasting tons of power because of this (heavyweight CRT monitor rated at over 200 watts) and this impoverishes me.
            And it's needed to reduce pollution and carbon which I why I liberally bring that issue.

I don't know what happen with full screen html5 video (I've never watched a hour long one yet)

Comment

Working...
            X