Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Future Of Fedora Gets Debated, Again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    nah

    does not make sense


    you talk about 'average users'


    your average user is not using linux... it is using mint/ubuntu whatevers.

    People that use linux are expected to know how to add extra repos and compile etc...


    now

    the choice fedora has to make is:

    - we want to appeal to a wider audience and become mainstrem? (this would entail what I've written above)

    - we might as well go rolling since that's what our old core audience wants

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
      nah

      does not make sense


      you talk about 'average users'


      your average user is not using linux... it is using mint/ubuntu whatevers.

      People that use linux are expected to know how to add extra repos and compile etc...
      Are you seriously that bigoted that you don't consider certain distros Linux because they're easy to use? So, according to your logic, I should shun all Ubuntu and Mint users because I use Arch?
      What an idiotic thing to say!

      People that use Linux aren't expected to do or know anything specifically.
      Fedora users are expected to know a know more than average Ubuntu users. That doesn't mean that Ubuntu users aren't Linux users. Idiot.

      Now, I think Fedora should either go with true rolling (like arch and gentoo), semi-rolling (Slackware), or just stick with their 6-month cycle. Fedora is used more as a test bed for RHEL. Having an annual+ release would defeat this purpose. That's why I think semi-rolling would make the most sense. RHEL has an actual version from which to freeze source code and whatnot, plus you don't have to worry about a hard release cycle.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by birdie View Post
        rpmfusion - never (DMCA and shit)
        software center - what for when there's PackageKit
        make sense, but release every second year - support for at least three years
        no comments - I don't use Gnome
        Gnome-packagekit is just awful in its current state. You can't find anything unless you know the name of the package you are looking for, and in that case you'd just use YUM anyway. The advantage of the ubuntu software center is discoverability, ratings, and user reviews.

        Comment


        • #14
          i've got a solution to the http://tmrepository.com/trademarks/b...ceddeathmarch/.
          it's called bundles and chakra uses it. why can't all the other mainstream distros.

          Comment


          • #15
            Yesterday, I did install F18-rc1(pre), oh god, that installer is in terrible shape... I was on IRC too to report things and I managed to count 17 ways of failing to install Fedora (anaconda crash) on like 25 attempts (installed on 3 computers and failed some times in the same traps). Really, I hope they revert the installer to F17 and give it another 6 month. Pushing on some things, like the installer before it's ready is really, really bad.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by Elv13 View Post
              Yesterday, I did install F18-rc1(pre), oh god, that installer is in terrible shape... I was on IRC too to report things and I managed to count 17 ways of failing to install Fedora (anaconda crash) on like 25 attempts (installed on 3 computers and failed some times in the same traps). Really, I hope they revert the installer to F17 and give it another 6 month. Pushing on some things, like the installer before it's ready is really, really bad.
              Reverting is impossible at this point, I brought that up with AdamW during one of the "Fedora Delayed again" threads. The installer affects too many other packages to just be switched out at random (probably bad design on the devs part since that doesnt seem too Modular but maybe thats just me). The installer is here to stay for better or worse for F18 and up.

              Though yes, it can be fixed in a few ways. Its honestly a little confusing at first.

              Comment


              • #17
                There are a gazilion Linux distro's...

                I like Fedora because;
                1. They deliver work upstream, meaning I get vanilla, and also;
                2. I get the latest shit;
                3. Others do the hard work for me (I just download the iso);
                4. I just want a solid UNIX system to program on, which makes Fedora a great chooice, since they have their hands on gcc;
                5. Next to a nice KDE 'spin', which just works (yes), I am now a fan of Gnome 3, since it now does one thing and one thing well, and it now respects my work-'flow'. (I became a fan[boy])

                If you want LTS; go Mint. If you want a big community; get Ubuntu.

                What is the damn problem? Fedora is bleeding edge, stable, fast, vanilla and has a large enough community. (for me)

                If you don't want that? Well then you don't want Fedora. Is that so hard to comprehend?

                People have opinions. If they are conflicting, then making personal threats isn't going to help much. If you want to go that way; you're not going to get your way. Simple.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by tancrackers View Post
                  Are you seriously that bigoted that you don't consider certain distros Linux because they're easy to use? So, according to your logic, I should shun all Ubuntu and Mint users because I use Arch?
                  What an idiotic thing to say!
                  I think you've misunderstood Pallidus - my interpretation of his words was that average users don't use "Linux", they use whatever their distro of choice happens to be called. It's not a slur against individual distros, it's a recognition that such users don't care about the collective "Linux", only about whatever they happen to run.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by tancrackers View Post
                    Now, I think Fedora should either go with true rolling (like arch and gentoo), semi-rolling (Slackware), or just stick with their 6-month cycle. Fedora is used more as a test bed for RHEL. Having an annual+ release would defeat this purpose. That's why I think semi-rolling would make the most sense. RHEL has an actual version from which to freeze source code and whatnot, plus you don't have to worry about a hard release cycle.
                    Research and development, in general, usualy work towards a goal of producing functionality in stages. Why is the current Fedora approach of "When it's done" so bad in this regard? Development itself is 'rolling' upstream, all the time.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by Elv13 View Post
                      Yesterday, I did install F18-rc1(pre), oh god, that installer is in terrible shape... I was on IRC too to report things and I managed to count 17 ways of failing to install Fedora (anaconda crash) on like 25 attempts (installed on 3 computers and failed some times in the same traps). Really, I hope they revert the installer to F17 and give it another 6 month. Pushing on some things, like the installer before it's ready is really, really bad.
                      There is no RC1. The current build is TC1. Which is much earlier.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X