1. i am using gnome shell not unity (though i sit from time to time at a unity desktop)
2. i have no facebook account
3. i use my pc for work, with multiple windows
4. it works far better and FASTER than with a classic desktop, for me.
But there are people who use their computers for multitasking, then Unity is not good.
in my opinion a task bar is one of the most stupiest inventions ever. it is counter productive!
let me explain MY point of view:
- it wastes a lot of space which the very most of time is never used for anything
- because i work with many windows and i hate being slow i either
--- use alt+tab or
--- use [super] and at the same time am already moving my mouse cursor to the left for the tunning program icon on the left side (gnome shell).
for what do i need a taskbar?
i group my many running programs also on 2-4 desktops to which i move pretty fast via ctr+alt+ up / down or super + click.
this works for my 10 times faster than anything i can do with a taskbar.
considering that most of the time am actually working and am not hectic swithing the programs every 2 seconds i do not need a space wasting taskbar!
actually i would even get rid of the smal (in my setup) very thin upper panel.
of course, this is MY point of view. but claiming a desktop concept that YOU do not like is for nothing else good than using a single program fullscreen is not only ingorant, it is simply stupid!
there are many ways to accomplish the same things. not all ways work as good for all people.
there are many thing that in my opinion need strongly to improve on gnome shell, bu its idea, the concept is the FIRST relly efficiant usable desktop enviroment concept for me. unity is not so much different but it actually is to close to the clasical one and i also do not like the global menu bar (but it can be disabled), and even less compiz.