Ubuntu Prepares To Kill Off Metacity, Ups Compiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
    I do love customization options so I can set up things just the way I like them. Does that mean I should stay away from Unity and GNOME?
    If you want a lot of customization go for KDE,you can't get much more in-depth than that. KDE even allows some program specific customizations.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Ubuntu isn't about having the most compatible and resource friendly system, its about making linux a deskop PC.
      IMHO, Canonical's inspiration is Android. Android is all about the commercialization of Linux. The Android ecosystem pushes its own agenda, does things its own way, and contributes upstream only ween its business model deems it necessary or required. Canonical wants a Desktop version of Android. That's where the money is.

Comment

No fan of Metacity

I am no fan of Metacity, but it works and is reliable.
        I find it more reliable and stable than Compiz.

Also Compiz requires OpenGL and hardware acceleration, so how will the installer work on system that does not have that?

Also, now without Compiz there is no software-render fallback?

Also, if they drop it from Ubiquity and the installer image, why drop it from the repository too?
        Some people may actually like Compiz and want to install it on their system.
        Maybe it because Metacity is now unmtained since GNOME moved from GNOME 2.32 to GNOME 3 which use Mutter instead?

Comment

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
          IMHO, Canonical's inspiration is Android. Android is all about the commercialization of Linux. The Android ecosystem pushes its own agenda, does things its own way, and contributes upstream only ween its business model deems it necessary or required. Canonical wants a Desktop version of Android. That's where the money is.
          Hah that's an excellent way of putting it. While Android does commercialize linux for non-PC platforms, it's barely binary compatible with the average linux program, so it isn't much use. While I don't see why google made it so difficult to get linux native programs to run on android, I'm not necessarily annoyed with them because first of all, google does help contribute to the linux kernel but they're freely allowed to do whatever they want and they did a good job. If they stuck with as many currently available open source software as they could (instead of writing their own graphical server, java, etc), there's a possibility linux as it is now might've held them back.

Comment

There are excellent lightweight alternatives like Lubuntu and Xubuntu. Consolidating and having less software to maintain makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by glasen View Post
              People like you?
              No, but people like you probably. It's a known fact Icaza's anti Linux jerk. Till planet gnome allows him to post his bull and till some insane people - who make gnome unusable - aren't fired, Linux will suffer.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                It's good to know that I am not the only one who thinks like this. After how much flame I got for saying the same things I almost thought that I was the only one who thought that some people are actively trying to kill linux desktop.
                There are many more of us - the sane ones.

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
                  Gnome is fairly customizable (see https://extensions.gnome.org/). Unity, however, is not. That doesn't mean Unity is bad, it works for a lot of people (not that I'm a huge fan of it either).
                  Unityis far more customizable than Gnome! You mentioned some third party extensions that allows you to change more things in Gnome, but you forget about ubuntu tweak utility. Gnome doesn't even allow to change a font size which makes it simply a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                    Unityis far more customizable than Gnome! You mentioned some third party extensions that allows you to change more things in Gnome, but you forget about ubuntu tweak utility. Gnome doesn't even allow to change a font size which makes it simply a joke.
                    Perhaps you should try Gnome for more than 5 minutes before saying something so silly.

Gnome has it's own tweak tool, you can play with individual font sizes and scale everything up and down to your hearts content. Gnome has 10 to 20 pages of extensions for each version on https://extensions.gnome.org. Gnome 3.6 is up to 15 pages already. You can customize as much or as little as you want.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      Also, if they drop it from Ubiquity and the installer image, why drop it from the repository too?
                      I think you are misunderstanding this: they will drop it from the 'main' repository, which means it will move to the 'universe' repository.

Comment

Working...
                      X