Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU Driver Updates To Come Quicker To Ubuntu

Phoronix: GPU Driver Updates To Come Quicker To Ubuntu

In an effort to make Ubuntu Linux a better gaming platform and make the open-source operating system more attractive to game developers, hardware vendors, and end-users, Canonical will make it easier to upgrade your graphics driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIwNTA

Brilliant - that's how it should be. On Windows it's "please go upgrade your video drivers", here it should be "please enable the latest drivers" - and you receive them as they're set. This also reduces the chances of using some random drivers off the net.

Comment

This is a really good move forward.

Comment

that's because of on windows you don't have http://www.tmrepository.com/trademar...erabinonsense/

Comment

Why does everybody forget that Ubuntu isn't the only Distribution out there?
          Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Updating the open-source drivers is a mess since it's not just one component but the Linux kernel, Mesa, libdrm, the DDX, and any other new dependencies.
          Seriously? I always use the newest FOSS drivers from git and don't have that problems. But git != release, If I would use the newest (experimental) releases it would be even less incompatible (with whatever). On the other hand if I update my kernel and/or Xorg will the binary BLOBs still be compatible? :P

Originally posted by garegin View Post
          that's because of on windows you don't have http://www.tmrepository.com/trademar...erabinonsense/
          Which is only a problem if you develop for the kernel. The ABIs/APIs given to userspace are damn stable. And it's not the fault of Linux that the BLOBs are binary. If they where GPLed and included in the kernel they would be updated with the API/ABI changes atomatically
          Last edited by V10lator; 10-11-2012, 10:49 PM.

Comment

I am not a ubuntu user, never used and never had the urge, but why is this such a big deal ? In my case (opensuse) I simply add either the nvidia repository or I download the latest drivers and run the script or use the one click install. From reading this article I get the impression that you can't do any of that on ubuntu, that can't be right can it so I must be missing something?

Comment

people have extremely short memory. ubuntu used to do this and you had breakages. that's why they don't update the kernel and x.org so often. if everything was fine everyone would have rolling distros and everything would be ladi dada. at least on centos you get firefox updates so they don't look like a tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Xilanaz View Post
                From reading this article I get the impression that you can't do any of that on ubuntu, that can't be right can it so I must be missing something?
                1-click install is possible in Ubuntu too. For example:
                http://apt.ubuntu.com/p/nvidia-current

Comment

I think Michael missed one of the most important things of that blog post:
                  . We’ve brought in a patent-free S3 texture compression library for mesa required by Valve and the Humble Indy Bundle, to be installed on user systems by default starting with quantal (and precise via PPAs). And we’re working on getting mesa 8.0.4 SRU’d into precise (not required by Valve, but brings numerous fixes other games and 3D apps need).
                  Canonical seems to be willing to take a chance that no one else would, and include support for S3 textures out of the box!
                  Last edited by [Knuckles]; 10-12-2012, 03:15 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                    1-click install is possible in Ubuntu too. For example:
                    http://apt.ubuntu.com/p/nvidia-current

ty, so what is the big deal then ?

Comment

The big deal was that Canonical supported ONE binary driver per Ubuntu release. With "-update" its a bit better but only for binary blobs. (However it never worked on my AMD 5720M so I used ADM website to fetch newest).

Now what we get are EXPERIMENTAL drivers (not certified in MS-speak), via Canonical **supported** update mechanism.

That is even better as now MESA stuff will see same level of attention (for Intel at least).

So everything will be doable from Ubuntu Software Center. And since you can always tap into updating mechanism on Linux, it mean that games may actually update gpu drivers when needed!

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                        The big deal was that Canonical supported ONE binary driver per Ubuntu release. With "-update" its a bit better but only for binary blobs. (However it never worked on my AMD 5720M so I used ADM website to fetch newest).

Now what we get are EXPERIMENTAL drivers (not certified in MS-speak), via Canonical **supported** update mechanism.

That is even better as now MESA stuff will see same level of attention (for Intel at least).

So everything will be doable from Ubuntu Software Center. And since you can always tap into updating mechanism on Linux, it mean that games may actually update gpu drivers when needed!
                        That's not a big deal, that's simply catching up with openSUSE, sprinkled with the usual Ubuntu hype. As if driver updates via the driver repo were something special…

Comment

dont get me wrong I dont think thats a very important thing that happens here, its a small change, I am not totaly against it, go with it if you are happy.

But its a bit strange that linux must have BETTER closedsource-driver-update-support than windows has. So if you dont use linux because of the idiolegy (freedom) behind it, why would you be pissed because driver installation is the same process it is under windows?

So at least its no feature that you could say, wähh look here linux sucks and windows is better, because its not. So the thing they do is to generate a reason why linux is better than windows, for people who use linux only for the technical advancement, but than again why would you not use windows because it supports much more games. So canonical do that maybe to support a time in some years where maybe not only a few valve games come over steam to linux but where many nvidia users switch to linux and games become availible too.

I see that mixed, they make a eco system, that will fully support closedsource drivers, so this companys will never release sourcecode or specs. What would make more sense would be to pay 2-20 grafics-developers instead of this to make the radeon driver fast enough to be ready for newer games (they dont need to have 100% of the speed of the blobs) if they are at 50-80% it would be fast enough. And more importantly they should support all opengl stuff in the first place.

So I am not extremely pissed or something, but on the other side, I think they invest again in the wrong direction, if fedora would become the same quality of ubuntu (I mean with easy system upgrades without reinstall (the recommand way)). And support the same usb-sound-devices that ubuntu does support with an older kernel, I would switch away. Not because of that driver thing here, that was other points that let the barrel overun for me. Is that a saying that americans understand? ^^

Comment

This is a step forward........... as long as they make sure that driver updates does not cause stuff to break. In my experience, whenever I update my video drivers (even as part of the package manager), stuff like xorg tends to break horribly, and sometimes the desktop effects stop working as well as they did before.

I think it's because newer versions of video drivers tend to expect newer versions of xorg sometimes, or sometimes xorg only supports certain versions of video drivers.

Of course, I expect this to be much less of an issue with opensource drivers.

Comment

Considering my experience with gpu driver on ubuntu and windows, if the driver works, I stick with it. I mean stick with it for YEARS past when its been replaced by a new stable.

For people whom need the newer version becuase they are missing support or a feature the explosion of linux games requires, this sounds like a good idea for those in need. I like it, good job working with Valve, Ubuntu! This will improve many users experiences with gpu drivers.

Comment

Working...
                              X