Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early Boot Speed Results For Ubuntu 12.10

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Early Boot Speed Results For Ubuntu 12.10

    Phoronix: Early Boot Speed Results For Ubuntu 12.10

    Here's an early look at some Bootchart numbers for two systems running Ubuntu 12.10 development snapshots compared to earlier releases...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE5ODE

  • #2
    Meh, who cares, when GRUB takes two seconds to display its menu? Had that from the initial Kubuntu 12.10 beta and it's still not fixed. Not a Ubuntu specific problem, I guess, but it will slow the boot time of any distro using GRUB2

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      Meh, who cares, when GRUB takes two seconds to display its menu? Had that from the initial Kubuntu 12.10 beta and it's still not fixed. Not a Ubuntu specific problem, I guess, but it will slow the boot time of any distro using GRUB2
      I'm also sometimes wondering about these inefficient/slow GNU projects like grub2, the autohell suite, you name it.

      Comment


      • #4
        @bug77

        where is your launchpad bug link?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Kano View Post
          @bug77

          where is your launchpad bug link?
          It's an obvious issue. Bugs are meant for other reasons, not for broken/slow stuff from the get go.

          Comment


          • #6
            i'd like to see an UpStart vs systemd deathmatch.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kano View Post
              @bug77

              where is your launchpad bug link?
              You know what? You're a helpful guy, so don't take this as an attack to your person. But I really hate having to log into a million platforms for each bug I stumble upon. I would love to report stuff, but if developers really want my reports, they should make tools that log in as bots and complete the report. Having to install debug packages is annoyance enough. So there, if anyone thought Linux is lagging on the desktop because of video drivers or lack of games, there's an additional problem for you.

              Comment


              • #8
                looking at the slow chart for the fx-8150, it seems to spend a lot of time in apparmor_parser. does this run at every boot? or is there a cache that get rebuilt sometimes? maybe you should be comparing the best of several runs, other wise you may just be seeing random variations.

                Comment


                • #9
                  @bug77

                  Most likely you did not notice that ubuntu devs usually do not fix things which are not in launchpad. Because that way they can say they fixed bug x or y for the money they get.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    @bug77

                    Most likely you did not notice that ubuntu devs usually do not fix things which are not in launchpad. Because that way they can say they fixed bug x or y for the money they get.
                    I won't even pretend I was paying any attention. But boy I'd be in trouble if I waited for clients to raise all bugs on my behalf...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                      I won't even pretend I was paying any attention. But boy I'd be in trouble if I waited for clients to raise all bugs on my behalf...
                      but you might not be happy if your clients complained about your product on public web forums, before letting you know about the issue.
                      (unless of course you only release perfect bug free and feature complete software that has been fully tested for every possible use case (No opensource projects claim anything close to this, maybe with the exception of TeX))

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I don't care!

                        I don't care! Next question, does it boot correctly?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Kano View Post
                          Most likely you did not notice that ubuntu devs usually do not fix things which are not in launchpad. Because that way they can say they fixed bug x or y for the money they get.
                          Lots of Ubuntu devs aren't paid, but still they do fix bugs.

                          OTOH, fixing bugs that they don't know about is very unlikely to happen of course...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                            It's an obvious issue. Bugs are meant for other reasons, not for broken/slow stuff from the get go.
                            Not everything is so obvious. It could be a hardware issue on your end, or something else software-wise they aren't subject to.

                            And yes, bugs are meant for everything that's a bug. The price of free software is that we do more testing on our own and report the results. They won't fix issues they don't know are issues in the first place.

                            Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                            I really hate having to log into a million platforms for each bug I stumble upon. I would love to report stuff, but if developers really want my reports, they should make tools that log in as bots and complete the report.
                            Such a software package exists. It's called ABRT. I don't know what distro you use, but perhaps it's time you switched to Fedora. ABRT rocks. It does all the work. I've only had to file one manual bug report since ABRT "took over".
                            Last edited by halfmanhalfamazing; 10-03-2012, 01:27 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              man power to hibernation instead!

                              ...why boot speed is so important for some people?
                              I think that man power should go to suspend 2 disk instead.
                              If hibernation works for you, you can have an instant boot, really, a matter of 2 or 3 seconds, by reducing the maximum image size.
                              That way you'll have a system as just booted.
                              Or, if you choose to have a larger image and can wait 20 seconds for the system to boot, you'll have an incredibly responsive system too.

                              But we need hibernation to work on every system, right now i'd say a good 10% isn't covered

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X