Arch Linux Is Switching To Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by energyman View Post
    besides BUYING distribution boxes so indirectly paying devs, reporting bugs and some small patches?

No, but does that mean that just because LP is putting out lots of code any of it is any good at all?

Are you kidding? Sound deamons have problems, lets create pulseaudio! Pulseaudio has some rt problems, lets create some daemon that fucks up rt for jack users! Pulseaudio has some problems during boot, write a new init system! One that makes things harder for everybody else! Oh and usurp udev, so in the future everybody will be forced to use systemd!

Next step: registry?
    Have you used systemd at any point before declaring its bad??

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowBane View Post
      Systemd works well and is standard.
      says who?

just because redhat decides to force something down your throat does not make it a 'standard'. SystemV init is a standard. utf-8 is a standard. ISO 2001:2008 is a standard.

Systemd is not.

Comment

says who?

just because redhat decides to force something down your throat does not make it a 'standard'. SystemV init is a standard. utf-8 is a standard. ISO 2001:2008 is a standard.

Systemd is not.
        It should. Systemd is the best init system for Linux.

Comment

says who?

Systemd is not.
          I think you are missing the difference between 'standard' and 'a standard.' You see, in the case of 'standard' it is just the common default option. Systemd is quickly becoming the standard way of booting a linux computer. In the case of 'a standard' it must be recognised by a standards body. Recognising a boot system as a standard would just be silly, it woud serve as a barier to newer and possibly better boot systems and could impair the ability to improve the one that had been enshrined as a standard.

On a side note, what is with all the hate for Pottering? Really, he is a brilliant guy who has contributed a ton to making linux on the desktop usable.

Comment

And I'm switching to Slackware

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowBane View Post
              I think you are missing the difference between 'standard' and 'a standard.' You see, in the case of 'standard' it is just the common default option. Systemd is quickly becoming the standard way of booting a linux computer. In the case of 'a standard' it must be recognised by a standards body. Recognising a boot system as a standard would just be silly, it woud serve as a barier to newer and possibly better boot systems and could impair the ability to improve the one that had been enshrined as a standard.

On a side note, what is with all the hate for Pottering? Really, he is a brilliant guy who has contributed a ton to making linux on the desktop usable.
              YES!.
              (The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.)
              Really?

Comment

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
                And I'm switching to Slackware
                Good luck with that! LOL

Comment

Pulseaudio has some rt problems, lets create some daemon that fucks up rt for jack users!
                  You know that you don't need to use it and that you still can use jack directly and pulseaudio as a jack client?

I think I can safely sum up the criticism in this thread:
                  "It's bad because I say so."

I have used it for some time and I can only critisize:
                  1. When some service hangs on shutdown systemd waits unnecessary long before killing it. And after systemd has been updated it sometimes didn't shut down the PC correctly anymore. But I think that hasn't happened for some time now.
                  2. systemd needs more service files...
                  Last edited by ChrisXY; 14 August 2012, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                    2. systemd needs more service files...
                    I actually haven't had any problems with lack of service files on Arch, basically everything that they include a rc.d file for they provide a systemd service for. Also, the more common it becomes the more service files will be written.

Comment

So what makes systemd so awesome?

Comment

Working...
                      X