Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Still Aims For Wayland System Compositor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu Still Aims For Wayland System Compositor

    Phoronix: Ubuntu Still Aims For Wayland System Compositor

    While there's still more than one month until the Ubuntu 12.10 feature freeze, Canonical/Ubuntu developers continue to work towards their concept of having Wayland serve as a system compositor for this next Ubuntu Linux release due out in October, but will they make it?..

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEzNDY

  • #2
    Of course 12.10 is too late. Hopefully they will have something working by the time of 13.04.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yet MORE unproven elements, Canonical?

      I get the sinking feeling that this is going to be PulseAudio all over again.

      Comment


      • #4
        I doubt they will be able to deliver something like that for 12.10. 13.04 maybe 13.10 more like it.

        What i am most curious about is how they will manage to pull the whole seamless boot thing.

        Comment


        • #5
          I have little confidence in Canonical's ability to deliver. With Unity I went from a smooth desktop to a cluster-f (and I don't mean the actual look and feel, I mean tearing, performance problems, graphics corruptions, crashes, shit-that-just-plain-don't-work, etc.). I can't wait to see what we're going to get when they throw this XWayland into the mix.

          Because if there's one thing we need, it's one more layer of disaster that every app has to wade through.

          Comment


          • #6
            Here's how their seamless boot works in 12.04.

            After bios, black screen for 5s.
            Plymouth splash shows itself for 0.7s.
            LightDM login screen.

            I'm no UI designer, but something about that black/plymouth time ratio seems off

            Comment


            • #7
              Being skeptical of engineering timelines is one thing, but it sounds like you guys just want Canonical to fail.

              Comment


              • #8
                I noticed the Wayland mailing list stagnated a lot.
                For a long time there were like 10-30 messages a day, now it's between 1-10 a day, or none, even during non-weekends. Are they preparing some major release behind the scene or gone on vacation..?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Here's how their seamless boot works in 12.04.

                  After bios, black screen for 5s.
                  Plymouth splash shows itself for 0.7s.
                  LightDM login screen.

                  I'm no UI designer, but something about that black/plymouth time ratio seems off
                  That's what I see too. In the grand scheme of things, I don't worry about boot display. All I care about is that when booting is done, I am looking at a working desktop or login screen. I don't reboot often enough to care what it looks like.

                  Seems pretty brave to hope for 12.10. Would probably help make 13.04 better though.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Here's how their seamless boot works in 12.04.

                    After bios, black screen for 5s.
                    Plymouth splash shows itself for 0.7s.
                    LightDM login screen.

                    I'm no UI designer, but something about that black/plymouth time ratio seems off
                    I haven't look extensively in it but i am not sure there is a solution for avoiding the black screen after the bios screen.

                    And yes it looks bad.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The Linux Desktop has so many issues that the boot screen issue is really low priority. I wouldn't even call it an issue.

                      If you want I could create a list of at least 100 VERY IMPORTANT issues the Linux Desktop has. But of course, "looks" are more important right?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                        The Linux Desktop has so many issues that the boot screen issue is really low priority. I wouldn't even call it an issue.

                        If you want I could create a list of at least 100 VERY IMPORTANT issues the Linux Desktop has. But of course, "looks" are more important right?
                        It's definitely low priority. It's just always disappointing when you see regressions between one version and the next.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                          The Linux Desktop has so many issues that the boot screen issue is really low priority. I wouldn't even call it an issue.

                          If you want I could create a list of at least 100 VERY IMPORTANT issues the Linux Desktop has. But of course, "looks" are more important right?
                          "Looks" is what users interact with -be it the console or a DE- so IMO its almost as important as the technical stuff. Noone (period) would marry a fat, really ugly woman just because she functions properly.


                          Personally i care a lot about visuals and user experience. And the situation is horrid. Be it icons and themes, be it the brain damage of the DE UX developers (gnome especially), be it cursors blinking, blank screens and all those little things that need polishing and people don't seem to care.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                            "Looks" is what users interact with -be it the console or a DE- so IMO its almost as important as the technical stuff. Noone (period) would marry a fat, really ugly woman just because she functions properly.


                            Personally i care a lot about visuals and user experience. And the situation is horrid. Be it icons and themes, be it the brain damage of the DE UX developers (gnome especially), be it cursors blinking, blank screens and all those little things that need polishing and people don't seem to care.
                            Part of the problem is that the community tries to polish some stuff up and add some features and just as things are looking like they almost pass muster, the head devs (gnome, etc.) declare, "Okay boys! Throw everything out; we're starting over from scratch!"

                            And that's exactly what I expect Wayland to be.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                              I noticed the Wayland mailing list stagnated a lot.
                              For a long time there were like 10-30 messages a day, now it's between 1-10 a day, or none, even during non-weekends. Are they preparing some major release behind the scene or gone on vacation..?
                              A lot of the devs are based in US, and this week we had our independence day (July 4), and it occured in the middle of the week. It's not uncommon to take the entire week off as a result.
                              Also, 1.0 IS supposed to be arriving later this year, so they've only got a few months left. Once they finalize the input protocol, I think they're mostly finished with the outlines, if not all the detail.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X