Ubuntu Still Aims For Wayland System Compositor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    I think the next version should be called 12.04 since the current 12.04 is too much of a mess to call it official...Seriously what is going on? Ubuntu used to actually work. Now it's bugs and inconsistencies that don't actually get fixed.
    What doesn't work? I have it on a laptop and it runs just fine.

Comment

people miss the fundamental problem and the root cause of the audio/video stack sucking in unix for 20 years. because unix/linux is primarily a server platform there is simply no incentive for the big names to make the a/v stack better. you think you need color calibration or anti-aliasing when you are running oracledb or apache on a cluster. games and directx are really the impetus on windows. and audio apps/final cut on the mac make apple make sure that the audio and the video are top notch. until that changes I don't see linux having graphics on par with windows.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        Here's how their seamless boot works in 12.04.

After bios, black screen for 5s.
        Plymouth splash shows itself for 0.7s.
        LightDM login screen.

I'm no UI designer, but something about that black/plymouth time ratio seems off
        Same here for me with 12.04.

But in fedora 17 it works flawlessly on the same machine. When I boot fedora 17, immediately after grub I get the nice high res fedora plymouth spash for the rest of the boot, then is smoothly transisitons to gdm. SO MUCH SMOOTHER than ubuntu's boot process.

Fedora has had this working well for the past few releases, while ubuntu's boot has looked pretty bad for quite some time.

Comment

LightDM login screen.

I'm no UI designer, but something about that black/plymouth time ratio seems off
          So true it hurts, i'm waiting for trisquel, maybe they can fix this goddamn issue

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
            people miss the fundamental problem and the root cause of the audio/video stack sucking in unix for 20 years. because unix/linux is primarily a server platform there is simply no incentive for the big names to make the a/v stack better. you think you need color calibration or anti-aliasing when you are running oracledb or apache on a cluster. games and directx are really the impetus on windows. and audio apps/final cut on the mac make apple make sure that the audio and the video are top notch. until that changes I don't see linux having graphics on par with windows.
            I take it you don't do much with the pro audio stack.. Jack blows away everything on the other platforms (ok, it also exists for mac/windows but it isn't widely deployed or supported there)

Comment

Just Hoping with the implementation of Wayland. Optimus can be implemented easily for us users.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                Linux graphics are already superior compared to those in Windows/Mac IMHO.
                LOL

Comment

LightDM login screen.

Isn't that an issue with the nvidia binary blob?

Comment

Originally posted by JanC View Post
                    I doubt that, given I use the open Radeon driver

Sure it may be a different bug with the same symptoms.

Comment

I doubt that, given I use the open Radeon driver

Sure it may be a different bug with the same symptoms.
                      Seems like several bugs can cause this (try searching Launchpad), including bugs in de video BIOS and in the display firmware.

Comment

Seems like several bugs can cause this (try searching Launchpad), including bugs in de video BIOS and in the display firmware.
                        What's weird is that it wasn't nearly as noticeable in 11.04.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                          STFU bitch. Fuck off.
                          Someone pee in your cheerios? Your behavior is uncalled for, and is definitly unwanted. You should take your own advice, and not click that "Submit Reply" button until you have pulled your head out of your ass first.

Comment

Originally posted by sandain View Post
                            Someone pee in your cheerios? Your behavior is uncalled for, and is definitly unwanted. You should take your own advice, and not click that "Submit Reply" button until you have pulled your head out of your ass first.
                            Don't be alarmed. Every one of his posts are like that. He just does a cut and paste.

Comment

Back on topic...

I think Wayland cannot come early enough, but at the same time, nothing is ready. Canonical doesn't even work on Wayland, so how can they target it at all? They're just waiting for everything to be magically handed to them based on their deadlines? LOL!

This a case of Canonical-thinks-the-Linux-world-revolves-around-them, and I'm unamused. Surely the mass exodus to Mint hasn't gone completely unnoticed... and I'd think the solution isn't to BREAK EVERYTHING, but start giving your userbase what they want.

The last 8 years has seen alot of "Okay, we've got a successful project. Now lets ignore our userbase and go off and do our own thing, regardless of community feedback." AmaroK, Gnome, KDE, Ubuntu.... the tablets all these distros think they MUST support but don't actually run on? The new audio backends that woo developers over somehow but don't actually support anything? The trashing of existing features that users love? Well, why not take the next step and throw EVERYTHING THAT WORKS into the garbage before its all ready. Sounds exactly like what Canonical would do next, based on their track record...

Comment

I have that issue using intel. Its only an issue in ubuntu too, fedora's boot looks great the whole way through.

Comment

Working...
                                X