Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 17: Beefier Than Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried to switch to fedora, but it has a driver bug which ubuntu does not have, basicly pulseaudio crashes after 2 minutes playing sound with a usb-soundcard, that works perfektly under windows and under ubuntu.

I wrote a bug report since 2 weeks or so no answer... thats a nogo then...

I principaly like fedora a bit, basicly because they choose gnome-shell as their default shell and because their developers care more about free software and upstream... but if this distri is more bleeding edge (very recent versions of software included) they should at least react fast to such bugreports, at least at the same speed ubuntu devs do... else they just do a bad job... because what does somebody can do with a bit faster system when it has more bugs... Sorry but I dont get who such basic functionality and if this card dont work shure there are 100 others with the same chipset that dont work, too, and such bug gets then in the release and if a few people write a bug report there is no reactions for weeks?

Sorry if thats not getting better I have to wait to a new debian-based distro or a ubuntu fork or something like that. or gnome-shell edition of ubuntu. or keep using ppas...

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
      I use Xfce as my main desktop but I could not disagree more - for my money Thunar is awful. No search functionality, no tab support, no connect to server functionality for ssh or samba shares, and it lacks proper desktop handling at the momment (and xfdesktop still has faults, at least in 4.8). Even pcmanfm is better IMO.

But I just learned it does have a toolbar mode - so I am a bit more happy with it now. But not by much. It is still the thing I think is holding Xfce back the most.
      Yeah, I prefer pcmanfm to thunar as well.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
        Fedora also has a newer kernel, newer Xorg, etc. So of course it's going to have the latest features and be the fastest.

But for once I can't use Fedora on my desktop, because I spent like 8 hours trying to fix installing Fedora in UEFI+GPT mode on my Ivy Bridge desktop, to no avail. I even tried to get some folks in #fedora to help, but everyone completely ignored my query.

Basically, I have a hardware RAID controller joining together two 4TB hard drives into an 8TB array (striped). The first three partitions are (in this order) EFI System Partition, Reserved Windows partition, and NTFS partition for Windows. Then immediately following that is another EFI System Partition, then my Linux root filesystem (ext4), then /home, then /. I tried installing Fedora 17 in this configuration and I get the "minimal BASH-like editing" prompt from GRUB, and the version of GRUB appears to be GRUB1 (wtf?). When I changed to Ubuntu 12.04, using the same partition setup but wiping out the partitions, it works like a charm. My BIOS lets me choose the boot order of the OSes and shows Windows and Ubuntu separately so I can prioritize them in the list. And I can pick one on the fly during boot-up by pressing F8.

So I'm going to act like a little baby and say that Fedora 17 sucks (for me on my current hardware; I'm a huge fan of it otherwise) because it wasn't tested with UEFI+GPT setups and appears to fail epically where Ubuntu succeeds.
        Indeed UEFI seems to be the bane of Fedora in terms of installation ease! I managed to install Fedora alongside MacOS X on my MacBook Pro system, however booting it was a like huge feat (not a problem, as it actually added a bit of "security" to the boot process), and it certainly was annoying... This was with 16, 17 I cannot even get it to install... I must confess that I like EFI and the idea bhind it, however I HATE that it locked users to one of the least reliable filesystems on earth: FAT. Now I'm pondering if using Ubuntu for this machine instead, although I despise the distro (for many reasons)...

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
          Canonical is based in South Africa, so no USA.
          Britain, and perhaps the Commonwealth, uses Imperial units as well as the US, but I certainly won't argue that we need to change to metric. To be fair though, most countries, excluding China/Japan, IIRC, use the arabic numerals. So Britain/USA is not alone in their intransigence
          Not quite right...
          The United States is the only industrialized country that does not use the metric system as its official system of measurement, although the metric system has been officially sanctioned for use there since 1866. Although the United Kingdom committed to officially adopting the metric system for many measurement applications, it is still not in universal use there and the customary imperial system is still in common and widespread use.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system

I know for a fact that Canada has been using Metric since the '70s. Everything in kilometres and degrees where water freezes at zero.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
            SSH/SMB/etc mounts are supported since 4.8-release.
            Make sure you install the required gvfs dependencies.

- Gilboa
            Hmm... is that why I had to remove the gvfs-smb package on my and other people's systems to stop Thunar from hanging for over a minute on first bootup?

You are indeed correct that you can type sftp://user@address in the location bar (which is hidden by default) and connect to another machine. But this is not exactly the same as how Nautilus handles it by having an easily accessible prompt to put your information in. Though to be fair, pcmanfm does not have one either.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
              Hmm... is that why I had to remove the gvfs-smb package on my and other people's systems to stop Thunar from hanging for over a minute on first bootup?

You are indeed correct that you can type sftp://user@address in the location bar (which is hidden by default) and connect to another machine. But this is not exactly the same as how Nautilus handles it by having an easily accessible prompt to put your information in. Though to be fair, pcmanfm does not have one either.
              I've got 4.8 and 4.10 on a number of Fedora machines and while initial Thunar startup can be annoying (~20-30 seconds), subsequent startups are within 1-2s range (even if I close thunar).
              Never the less, this is a indeed bug and should be reported and fixed.

- Gilboa
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
              X