Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Developers Discuss Using Mono AOT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    Originally posted by directhex View Post
    The benchmarks show Mono as up to 30 times faster, and down to a quarter of the RAM, of the equivalent in Python.

    Why is Mono bloat, and Python desirable?

    In the spirit of fairness, Java shows up as faster than Mono in the benchmarks, but using 5x more RAM.

    Jo shields , I know about "speed of mono" to be faster than python . But python is default script language of all linux systems .It's better to use the vm we already have installed on system than use another vm .

    And pypy can be a good replacement to cpython on some cases.

    Comment


    • #42
      Originally posted by lapis View Post
      It's better to use the vm we already have installed on system than use another vm.
      So distributions should stick to "most used" software and not offer alternatives? I see a problem with that philosophy. ;-)

      Comment


      • #43
        Originally posted by lapis View Post
        But python is default script language of all linux systems
        That's Perl. Or even shell scripting. Python is a modern interloper.

        Comment


        • #44
          Originally posted by droste View Post
          So distributions should stick to "most used" software and not offer alternatives? I see a problem with that philosophy. ;-)
          Perl loses this position .Now a lot of distributions use python for apps.Fedora for example and ubuntu.



          Don be stupid mono guy. Open any package manager and you will see mono . But we can never include another VM in default installation because of use of computer resources. People need to use things are standard like python or any frontend to gcc compiler (like Go language or D language)

          Comment


          • #45
            Originally posted by lapis View Post
            Don be stupid mono guy
            I don't even have mono installed on my machine... it was totally necessary to call me names. I'm out.

            Comment


            • #46
              Originally posted by droste View Post
              I don't even have mono installed on my machine... it was totally necessary to call me names. I'm out.

              Sorry , a mistake. I was talking about directhex/JoShields.

              Comment


              • #47
                Originally posted by lapis View Post
                Microsoft loves .NET .They used java but they do not like java . They were sued when "cloned" java and this was a correct action .
                They only created .NET after they lost the java lawsuit.

                Anyway, c# is not a java clone anymore - it's more like the bastard child of Java and C++, with a little bit of Lisp thrown in for good measure.

                It didn't only cut out some of the bad parts of Java, it also added some very nice things that java doesn't allow you to do, by design.



                Software development is lot more than "evangelize" everyone about how c# is superior to java.(A complete FUD)
                Anyone who has actually programmed in both will tell you that's not FUD at all, but the truth. Python doesn't really compare to java or c# in my opinion, although it can be used for many of the same purposes.

                Comment


                • #48
                  Originally posted by directhex View Post
                  That's Perl. Or even shell scripting. Python is a modern interloper.
                  This. While I also oppose Mono, I don't want Python either. Even Perl is not ubiquitous, it's bourne shell that you can only trust on.

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    This. While I also oppose Mono, I don't want Python either. Even Perl is not ubiquitous, it's bourne shell that you can only trust on.
                    Well, I dunno, Bash is slow and full of non-standard extensions. Really, folks should be using posix Sh only, or any 100% compatible like Dash.

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      Bourne shell != Bourne Again Shell

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X