Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Discussions For Ubuntu 12.10 Summit

Phoronix: Interesting Discussions For Ubuntu 12.10 Summit

There's just a little more than one week until the Ubuntu Developer Summit for Ubuntu 12.10 will be happening in Oakland, California. Here's what appears to be some of the most interesting technical sessions to be happening for this Canonical-sponsored summit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

External links! Thank you :-)

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
      Wayland please.
      I see this under the System Compositor link:
      A change I'd like to make for 12.10 is to use a compositor to control
      video from boot to shutdown.
      The technology used will probably be Wayland, and in some ways this
      change is to implement the Wayland Tech Preview that was proposed for
      Precise [1].
      This surprises me - I didn't think they were planning on using Wayland in any serious capacity yet.

Comment

"system compositor":
        "- We can have smooth transitions from the splash screen to the greeter to the session and back again"
        "- We don't use VT switching anymore which has been shown to be problematic"

Wasn't KMS going to give us those already? Why does this get rehashed every time as if it is _not_ hardware and/or driver bug?

Very imaginative guys, looking forwards to it being brainlessly reused next time round.

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
          "system compositor":
          "- We can have smooth transitions from the splash screen to the greeter to the session and back again"
          "- We don't use VT switching anymore which has been shown to be problematic"

Wasn't KMS going to give us those already? Why does this get rehashed every time as if it is _not_ hardware and/or driver bug?

Very imaginative guys, looking forwards to it being brainlessly reused next time round.
          i think the building blocks are there and we just miss the glue, but since there are few devs maybe it won't go too fast.

in my opinion i think they are waiting for wayland since i kinda feel would be hellish to do in X11 and since wayland only need a very minimal set requirements i think it can start very early in the boot process and start handling the texture and the composite of the textures so when the final boot times comes weston will have pretty much all needed to switch the transition and blend from bootsplash to your //whatever//DM

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
            i think the building blocks are there and we just miss the glue, but since there are few devs maybe it won't go too fast.

in my opinion i think they are waiting for wayland since i kinda feel would be hellish to do in X11 and since wayland only need a very minimal set requirements i think it can start very early in the boot process and start handling the texture and the composite of the textures so when the final boot times comes weston will have pretty much all needed to switch the transition and blend from bootsplash to your //whatever//DM
            ?

Why is the effect, in the end, different from handing over from one process to another without changing anything, apart from the FB address, to the set mode? I do not see that.

Secondly, why should we lose switching to console?

Do note, I am working on the android hwcomposer at this very moment, and i am very acutely aware of how fun it is when no error recovery is possible, no log is kept on disk, and networking is not brought up without the full UI being up.

Edit: It is the usual work of those who never worked with hw and have never been near drivers or lower level infrastructure. For more on that same type of stupidity, check this: http://libv.livejournal.com/22968.html
            Last edited by libv; 30 April 2012, 11:21 AM.

Comment

?

Why is the effect, in the end, different from handing over from one process to another without changing anything, apart from the FB address, to the set mode? I do not see that.

Secondly, why should we lose switching to console?

Do note, I am working on the android hwcomposer at this very moment, and i am very acutely aware of how fun it is when no error recovery is possible, no log is kept on disk, and networking is not brought up without the full UI being up.

Edit: It is the usual work of those who never worked with hw and have never been near drivers or lower level infrastructure. For more on that same type of stupidity, check this: http://libv.livejournal.com/22968.html
              well about your post to be honest, why ubuntu? and why LTS?, i mean ubuntu 10.04 is ancient and only exist for "enterprises" sake. and ovbiously ubuntu is not meant for the big linux boys but your average windows user migrating to linux, hence tend to be very digested and simplistic so the "ultimate master of the universe" button is not in there for a good reason.

for a more big boy distro i would reccomend you gentoo/sabayon/fedora/slackware/arch/opensuse/etc, especially gentoo since you can control all your packages from the sources/compiler.

plymouth and kms/ttm(using FOSS drivers ONLY if you installed fglrx or nvidia good luck) handle the initial boot process perfectly already (like i said 10.04 is ancient) the only problem left is the X11 part of the boot but once wayland get here i think is a lot easier to implement a perfect boot process with nice animations and stuff since should be trivial for wayland to take control of the kms frambuffer and wayland do not require root access to do it.

btw plymouth go back to console if you hit ESC so you can check all the stuff you need and non ubuntu distro don't hide grub at boot and if you wanna full dmesg like debug just edit grub.cfg and / remove quiet and splash update-grub / voila

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                well about your post to be honest, why ubuntu? and why LTS?, i mean ubuntu 10.04 is ancient and only exist for "enterprises" sake. and ovbiously ubuntu is not meant for the big linux boys but your average windows user migrating to linux, hence tend to be very digested and simplistic so the "ultimate master of the universe" button is not in there for a good reason.

for a more big boy distro i would reccomend you gentoo/sabayon/fedora/slackware/arch/opensuse/etc, especially gentoo since you can control all your packages from the sources/compiler.

plymouth and kms/ttm(using FOSS drivers ONLY if you installed fglrx or nvidia good luck) handle the initial boot process perfectly already (like i said 10.04 is ancient) the only problem left is the X11 part of the boot but once wayland get here i think is a lot easier to implement a perfect boot process with nice animations and stuff since should be trivial for wayland to take control of the kms frambuffer and wayland do not require root access to do it.

btw plymouth go back to console if you hit ESC so you can check all the stuff you need and non ubuntu distro don't hide grub at boot and if you wanna full dmesg like debug just edit grub.cfg and / remove quiet and splash update-grub / voila
                Now go back and check the date on that blogpost.

Comment

Now go back and check the date on that blogpost.
                  hahahaha my bad didn't check the date LOL, well mentally remove the 10.04 part XD the ubuntu part still maintains tho

my bad

Comment

Working...
                  X