Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 12.10 Codenamed The "Quantal Quetzal"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu 12.10 Codenamed The "Quantal Quetzal"

    Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.10 Codenamed The "Quantal Quetzal"

    Mark Shuttleworth announced the codename this morning to Ubuntu 12.10. This Ubuntu Linux release due out in October will be codenamed the Quantal Quetzal...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA5MTU

  • #2
    i was hopping for "Querky Quaridarium" but apparently Shutleworth doesn't read the Phoronix Forums

    Comment


    • #3
      why?

      What is the point of those codenames anyway?
      They are so impractical. If I want to google a question about ubuntu - I always have to do the search once including the version number, once including the codename and once with both to get all answers available. And then all the posts I miss because of typing errors of codenames.

      I think the codenames are OK for the developers as long as they do not promote them to the outside too much. For users they are an anoyance.
      So please phoronix, would you mind stopping those "news" about codenames?
      thx, thomas

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
        What is the point of those codenames anyway?
        They are so impractical. If I want to google a question about ubuntu - I always have to do the search once including the version number, once including the codename and once with both to get all answers available. And then all the posts I miss because of typing errors of codenames.

        I think the codenames are OK for the developers as long as they do not promote them to the outside too much. For users they are an anoyance.
        So please phoronix, would you mind stopping those "news" about codenames?
        thx, thomas
        Because "Precise Pangolin" is way easier to remember than "12.04".

        Comment


        • #5
          easier?

          Maybe one codename is easy to remember. But easier as the year and the month (= the version)? Why is that?
          I can tell you all Ubuntu-Versions that existed and even that will exist:
          12.04 12.10
          11.04 11.10
          10.04 10.10
          ....

          This is not easy to remember for you?
          So now tell me all the codenames without going to wikipedia or so....

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
            Maybe one codename is easy to remember. But easier as the year and the month (= the version)? Why is that?
            I can tell you all Ubuntu-Versions that existed and even that will exist:
            12.04 12.10
            11.04 11.10
            10.04 10.10
            ....

            This is not easy to remember for you?
            So now tell me all the codenames without going to wikipedia or so....
            Warty Warthog. Breezy Badger. Jaunty Jackalope. Karmic Koala. Lucid Lynx. Maverick Meerkat. Natty Narwhal. Oneiric Ocelot. Precise Pangolin. I also remember Edgy, though not what the animal was about right now... And all of those associate with the specific circumstances of their release. The numbers say nothing to me, especially since it's quite similar to other distributions, like Mandriva and openSUSE... And I never even used Ubuntu as my primary distribution.

            Comment


            • #7
              Some people will have an easier time remembering the mascots and others will remember the numbers. My favorite was 'Hardy Heron' which I nicknamed 'Hardy Heroin' because of my fondness of opiates.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                I also remember Edgy, though not what the animal was about right now...
                That was Edgy Eft.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The real annoyance comes when you get technical errors, failed bzr branch commands, 404s in your apt repositories, and so on -- because they sometimes make their repository name impossibly difficult to spell.

                  Knowing most people, neither "Quantal" nor "Quetzal" is a common name to spell, so this is going to really suck for 6 months. At least everybody can spell "Hardy" and "Precise" and "Edgy". Quantal? Seriously, wtf.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    wow

                    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    Warty Warthog. Breezy Badger. Jaunty Jackalope. Karmic Koala. Lucid Lynx. Maverick Meerkat. Natty Narwhal. Oneiric Ocelot. Precise Pangolin.
                    Wow, respect. This is interesting. Maybe you can remember because you are a native english speaker? Are you? I am not, so I do not even know the meaning of most of the words...
                    Maybe that is the reason for the dominance of numbers in versions - they are so international...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'll give them a break this time. There aren't a huge number of animals starting with 'Q' that have simple names. I think I'll remember Quantal better than Oneiric anyway (though no as well as Precise obviously). It's easier to spell and easier to pronounce (which makes it easier to remember the spelling too), so it will help me avoid...

                      Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
                      ...technical errors, failed bzr branch commands, 404s in your apt repositories, and so on...
                      Oneiric Ocelot is a tongue twister by comparison.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        All you need to know is the first part anyway as thats the name of the repository. When i first googled quetzal my impression was that U has got a bird now, well in german language it sounds even more funny

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                          Wow, respect. This is interesting. Maybe you can remember because you are a native english speaker? Are you? I am not, so I do not even know the meaning of most of the words...
                          Maybe that is the reason for the dominance of numbers in versions - they are so international...
                          Nope, I'm Lithuanian, English is my second language. Although I usually do make a habit of finding out what the names mean if I don't know them. Oh, and I hate everything about maths, so that could be somewhat related

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            i also remember

                            hardy
                            intrepid
                            jaunty
                            karmic
                            maveric
                            natty [best]
                            oneiric [worst ubuntu ever]
                            precise
                            quantal

                            thats what you have to look in repo to add matched packages to system.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                              Warty Warthog. Breezy Badger. Jaunty Jackalope. Karmic Koala. Lucid Lynx. Maverick Meerkat. Natty Narwhal. Oneiric Ocelot. Precise Pangolin. I also remember Edgy, though not what the animal was about right now... And all of those associate with the specific circumstances of their release. The numbers say nothing to me, especially since it's quite similar to other distributions, like Mandriva and openSUSE... And I never even used Ubuntu as my primary distribution.
                              You forgot Feisty Fawn

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X