Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 18 Might Be A Frankfurter Or Spherical Cow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fedora 18 Might Be A Frankfurter Or Spherical Cow

    Phoronix: Fedora 18 Might Be A Frankfurter Or Spherical Cow

    After Red Hat Legal caused a delay in the Fedora 18 code-naming process, the list of possible code-names for this "Beefy Miracle" successor have been narrowed down to eight. As expected by now, all of the names are quite peculiar and the Fedora board is trying to decide whether to even continue this code-naming process...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA4OTY

  • #2
    how about fixing pulseaudio instead of thinking up meat product names

    Comment


    • #3
      This is indeed as unprofessional as hell. How hard is it to find some random normal codenames? Pick random flowergarden name (as opposed to walled garden), from which beauty blossoms.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        This is indeed as unprofessional as hell. How hard is it to find some random normal codenames? Pick random flowergarden name (as opposed to walled garden), from which beauty blossoms.
        I personally am tired with this whole codename concept. To me, code names are absolutely useless.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          This is indeed as unprofessional as hell. How hard is it to find some random normal codenames? Pick random flowergarden name (as opposed to walled garden), from which beauty blossoms.
          For my portal releases I pick Sarah Brightman songs titles as codenames - I do not care what others think about these codenames

          Comment


          • #6
            Who would have thought that a naming process open to the general public would degenerate into 4chan-style retardation? Okay, so a lot of people (including myself) probably did, but look how long it took!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Hirager View Post
              I personally am tired with this whole codename concept. To me, code names are absolutely useless.
              Picking a codename is the best part of a project. At work I'm currently part of projects codenamed "spicy sausage" and "magic banana". They have absolutely no connection to the work involved, but are much more interesting than, say, "data visualisation version 2".

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by garegin View Post
                how about fixing pulseaudio instead of thinking up meat product names
                how about fixing pulseaudio instead of posting on forums

                Comment


                • #9
                  This list is embarrassing, especially as a Fedora user.
                  I agree, the way code names are in Fedora are useless. They do not really symbolize anything about the particular release. The ubuntu codenames are just as silly as "Beefy Miracle" and this list, but at least they mean something to the particular release. They certainly are much better about it than just letting a bunch of random people come up with an idiotic name and voting for them, that is the sad part, people actually voted for them.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think that this the exact reason Red Hat council (Do I remember right? I don't have time to check.) took so much time to post the "chosen ones". The poll to drop code names sure is a sign of their frustration. I imagine just how depressing it is to look for a representative names in the sea of such nonsense...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by randomizer View Post
                      Picking a codename is the best part of a project. At work I'm currently part of projects codenamed "spicy sausage" and "magic banana". They have absolutely no connection to the work involved, but are much more interesting than, say, "data visualisation version 2".
                      Indeed. To me, "12.04" means nothing, it's the same as "11.04" and "10.04". Two numbers separated by a dot. "Precise Pangolin" means a lot more - it's something memorable, and still shows clearly that it's a later release than the previous ones. "Beefy miracle" is also memorable, although I don't think I remember a whole lot of their earlier codenames. I recall "Leonidas", since it's also a Lithuanian name, but not much other than that... I guess they are just not used very often, people still tend to say "Fedora XX" instead of using the codenames.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The Fedora codename leads to some themes for artwork which may affect the default wallpaper. Fortunately wallpapers from past releases remain available in the package repository if you don't care for the new one. Beefy Miracle so far just has some fairly generic fireworks wallpaper. If nothing else, you get to learn how to set a system default the dconf way.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Embarrassing.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            ???

                            Is "Spherical Cow" a reference to the old thermodynamics exam question?

                            Or maybe it's "abominable", which is obviously followed by "noble"

                            When I see people complain about PulseAudio, I imagine they also complain about the weather and the number of hours in the day.

                            And also what a complex bit of analysis, to determine that the PulseAudio devlopment process is bottlenecked by the Fedora naming process. I'd really like to see the reasoning that went into that.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
                              And also what a complex bit of analysis, to determine that the PulseAudio devlopment process is bottlenecked by the Fedora naming process. I'd really like to see the reasoning that went into that.
                              Is it even still being developed? Haven't seen a new version for months.
                              Not that it really matters to me though, it has never failed me once
                              during the last 2 years I've been using it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X