Ubuntu 12.04 Desktops Impact Performance, Power Consumption

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    ...what's being tested here is the stock desktop.
    Hi Michael, yes, I understand that and I still think my analogy applies. Putting two fundamentally incomparable numbers on the same graph is not very useful.

IMHO it would be far more accurate to compare the desktops which don't redirect fullscreen on one graph, and those that do on another. Otherwise articles like this invite simplistic conclusions such as "Unity and KDE are slow", when this may not be necessarily true (though of course, maybe it is!).

BTW.. please take this as constructive criticism.. I'm glad Phoronix exists to produce these kinds of benchmarks!

Comment

Originally posted by bachinchi View Post
      Do you understand what "default settings" means?
      Michael said once he ca adjust default if there are options that allows to do this easily. There's such option in KDE.
      Last edited by kraftman; 04-12-2012, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        What is being compared is the desktop environments and as part of the desktop environment is the settings that the desktop environment developers decide to make as their defaults and window manager selection, that's part of their project. As said, each desktop was tested in their default/stock conditions. Your analogy would apply if this article was just exclusively looking at comparing window manager settings but what's being tested here is the stock desktop.
        I didn't know it's so hard to make one test extra with modified option.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          I didn't know it's so hard to make one test extra with modified option.
          I save extra/non-default tests for extra articles.
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

How about people make suggestions on improvements?

I have a good idea. How about everyone makes suggestions on improvements and then post your results using the same testing tools that phoronix provides.

Comment

omg no gnome (shell)

Why the hell did you not test gnome-shell its now completly useless for me and surely 50% of the linux users that use linux as desktop system. Unity is as far as I know, only used under ubuntu, and maybe less ubuntu users use gnome-shell than unity but on other distries 10 times more users use gnome (shell) than unity so if you test kde against unity why not gnome.

Because Ubuntu goes a few years a retarded solo.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                Why the hell did you not test gnome-shell its now completly useless for me and surely 50% of the linux users that use linux as desktop system. Unity is as far as I know, only used under ubuntu, and maybe less ubuntu users use gnome-shell than unity but on other distries 10 times more users use gnome (shell) than unity so if you test kde against unity why not gnome.

Because Ubuntu goes a few years a retarded solo.
                There are GNOME Shell benchmarks if you read the entire article...
                Michael Larabel
                http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

omg sorry somehow I missed it, its late it seems

Comment

any cinnamon data?

Is there any data for power consumption with Cinnamon?

Comment

Originally posted by arkanabar View Post
                      Is there any data for power consumption with Cinnamon?
                      Should be pretty much the same as gnome-shell.

Comment

Working...
                      X