No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 12.04 To Drop KDE Support For Firefox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems Kubuntu is no longer an option. OpenSuse seems to be good, but it always had a problem with my mouse. Fedora would be great, but it's bloated with gnome without a reason. Mageia 1 doesn't use systemd yet and it's also bloated with gnome. Arch is the best, but I sometimes prefer install and forget type of distributions.

Comment

Btw. rather than playing with some patches it's better to install this theme:

:: Oxygen style for Firefox!:: Consistent and coherent integration with KDE!:: NEWS ( Last updated : 15 August 2013)[quote]OXYGEN KDE 4.0 beta3 is released! [/quote]:: What's new in the 3.x-4.x...

Comment

file dialogs, file associations, protocol handlers,
        and other features that up to this point have been better integrated with the KDE desktop.
        Things like this shouldn't be done with toolkit specific but more with things that are Operating Specific.
        Linux should provide some functions to handle these things, especially file associations and protocol handlers.
        DE's can provide an implementation of a file dialog but applications should be able to call a Linux file dialog that is then outsourced to the DE in use or if no graphical environment present, use a command line version of it .

Comment

Originally posted by cyring View Post
          ArchLinux FTW
          I'm an ArchLinux user myself, and consequently consider the best distribution for me; but in this case how is it ArchLinux ftw. Arch has never produced, or officially packaged firefox-kde. There is an aur package that contains the suse firefox-kde patches, but any distro might have an unofficial package with the Suse patches. If anything, OpenSUSE FTW.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
            I'm an ArchLinux user myself, and consequently consider the best distribution for me; but in this case how is it ArchLinux ftw. Arch has never produced, or officially packaged firefox-kde. There is an aur package that contains the suse firefox-kde patches, but any distro might have an unofficial package with the Suse patches. If anything, OpenSUSE FTW.
            What you find in the AUR about firefox-kde-opensuse 11.0-1

But you are right : not official ; that's why I like in Arch, full of possibilities

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              Btw. rather than playing with some patches it's better to install this theme:

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=117962
              Debian FTW!!

I use this theme and it is quite elegant and well maintained and there will be an update for FF 11 most likely.

Comment

How to add kde integration to firefox.

1 In firefox about:config search and edit ui.allow_platform_file_picker to false. (use an more kde friendly file browser instead of firefox default)
                2 Stop firefox if it is running
                3 Delete or rename the mimetypes cache (where firefox keeps its file association settings): $ rm ~/.mozilla/firefox/<yourprofile>/mimeTypes.rdf
                4 Start firefox again
                5 Download any file if you had not done this before
                6 Open that file from the ?Tools > Downloads? menu (by right-clicking on it and selecting ?Open?). When asked to choose the application for opening the fike, browse to ?/usr/bin/xdg-open?. then check the checkbox to ?Remember your choice?.

Source: http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/make...nloaded-files/

Comment

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
                  They do, the news you missed is that Cononical is dropping Kubuntu, so it is essentially a pet project (after this release).
                  I know that, but there's a difference between not producing a separate spin/distro and not supporting KDE use on Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    ?No longer willing to maintain the patch???? Canonical, as usual, did nothing. It never was maintained by anyone from Canonical. The patch is a SUSE product and it's being dropped from Kubuntu because the patch was broken for Firefox 10. The patch was updated and is now being shipped to openSUSE users as part of the Firefox 11 update: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=746591
                    Thanks for this info. I was naive enough to assume they were using their own patch. Does Canonical ever do things for other distros the way other distros help Ubuntu? No one can even get Unity working in other distros, meanwhile OpenSUSE spend a Google Summer Of Code project taking their library that lets programs run with a GTK, QT or ncurses interface and separating it from their YaST system tool so that other distros could use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                      ?No longer willing to maintain the patch???? Canonical, as usual, did nothing. It never was maintained by anyone from Canonical. The patch is a SUSE product and it's being dropped from Kubuntu because the patch was broken for Firefox 10. The patch was updated and is now being shipped to openSUSE users as part of the Firefox 11 update: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=746591
                      Canonical did nothing? We actually fixed the patch to work with Firefox 10. I just checked the OpenSUSE repo, and the changes they're shipping to make it work with Firefox 11 are the same changes we applied in Ubuntu to make it work with Firefox 10.

But, feel free to continue your ill-informed Canonical rant rather than actually checking facts. It's always much better when people do that.

Comment

Working...
                      X