No announcement yet.

Sabayon 8 Is Now An "Extreme-Rolling" Release Distro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's extreme in shipping KDE 4.7 in Feb '12?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      What's extreme in shipping KDE 4.7 in Feb '12?
      And Firefox 9?

But I tried Sabayon 8 in a 512MB virtual machine, and unlike the last one or two versions, I was able to get it to install in VirtualBox without issues, so that's a major improvement. The update notification tool also seemed much smoother and well-behaved from what I remember. The package manager interface is now the "Entropy Store" vs. the last time I used it, and the interface seems generally improved, but there's still some odd behavior. For instance, select "search" by "name" and enter "truecrypt" and it finds a match. Select "search" by "name and description" and enter "truecrypt" and it returns no matches. I also wish the results employed more than one column - because it lists the package category, name and description all in one column (in different colors and font sizes), you can't just scan your eye down a column and see if a match was found.

It had a reasonably good mix of programs pre-installed (no Clementine? I discovered Clementine thanks to Sabayon!). The default system settings and favorites also appeared sensible.

All in all, this was the nicest version of Sabayon I've seen yet, and felt more polished than when I tried and failed to switch to it from Windows in 2010, and there were far less bugs and boot speed was much improved. It's always been one of the more impressively-equipped live DVDs.

Comment

Working...
      X