Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plans For Ubuntu On Phones Are Laid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    - The root file-system for Ubuntu on mobile phones was discussed.. The key option as mentioned by a Canonical engineer leading the discussion was the YAFFS2 file-system.
    YAFFS2? Seriously?
    Are these guys targeting 3 year old hardware? Or are they just BRAIN DEAD?

    Modern phones run eMMC storage devices. YAFFS2 is a RAW NAND FLASH filesystem --> It is NOT COMPATIBLE with eMMC.

    Comment


    • #17
      Absolutely right.

      Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      YAFFS2? Seriously?
      Are these guys targeting 3 year old hardware? Or are they just BRAIN DEAD?

      Modern phones run eMMC storage devices. YAFFS2 is a RAW NAND FLASH filesystem --> It is NOT COMPATIBLE with eMMC.
      I think you're absolutely right. Android uses EXT4 by default just fine on my nexus s. I'm not sure why YAFFS2 would be the leading choice.

      Comment


      • #18
        I think ubuntu can succeed but not on lone phones or tablets but on the new hybrids:

        hybrid phone/desktops

        hybrid tablet/laptops


        anyway, is good to see ubuntu investing in the mobile space (or smart screens like they said).

        remember that their main competitor is windows and if windows enters these spaces they should too.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by liam View Post
          Heh, canonical doesn't have the power/brand that canonical has...
          I'll eat my hat if anything substantial comes of this.
          IMHO, shuttleworth is trying to sell canonical as fast as he can, so he is shoving "his" name into as many things as possible hoping something will stick enough to let him get his money back.
          ubuntu is started to do very good on the cloud space.

          am sure they will get their investments back real soon.

          Comment


          • #20
            Not that I disagree with you but you mentioned evolution and that brought this is mind.
            http://people.gnome.org/~michael/blog/evolution-express-for-meego.html

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by madjr View Post
              ubuntu is started to do very good on the cloud space.

              am sure they will get their investments back real soon.
              I really don't want to get into an argument, so I'll simply say: what are you basing this confidence on?
              I recall a few years ago they were touting eucalyptus as this fabulous cloud base. Do you know what happened when some people took a look at eucalyptus? They (nasa) said, no, this won't scale, so they started a project called nebula. Later that project merged with rackspace's openstack. Now, openstack has a chance to succeed and somehow ubuntu is the default image. I've no idea why, but there it is, and no, I don't think canonical has contributed much, if anything, to openstack. Frankly, suse would've been the smart option but who knows what will be happening with them in the future. Moreover, I think either, 1)the default image isn't important, 2)something else will be chosen to replace ubuntu. Now I mention this to demonstrate thay canonical's engineering vision isn't exactly proven, thus why I have doubts.
              As for return on investment, i don't think they have yet been in the black, let alone made enough to recover shuttleworth's millions.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by liam View Post
                I really don't want to get into an argument, so I'll simply say: what are you basing this confidence on?
                I recall a few years ago they were touting eucalyptus as this fabulous cloud base. Do you know what happened when some people took a look at eucalyptus? They (nasa) said, no, this won't scale, so they started a project called nebula. Later that project merged with rackspace's openstack. Now, openstack has a chance to succeed and somehow ubuntu is the default image. I've no idea why, but there it is, and no, I don't think canonical has contributed much, if anything, to openstack. Frankly, suse would've been the smart option but who knows what will be happening with them in the future. Moreover, I think either, 1)the default image isn't important, 2)something else will be chosen to replace ubuntu. Now I mention this to demonstrate thay canonical's engineering vision isn't exactly proven, thus why I have doubts.
                As for return on investment, i don't think they have yet been in the black, let alone made enough to recover shuttleworth's millions.
                Exactly, neither of us have any real basis.

                Neither have access to their accounting numbers, so we're just speculating here.

                If they have started to get a good ROI or not is something that is not of our concern either. Last time i checked is their money and i believe they can do whatever they want with it.

                Comment

                Working...
                X