Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2 Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2 Released

Canonical has announced the second beta release of Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" for those interested in testing it out before the final version makes its debut next month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been using linux as my desktop since 2000 and like most I hated unity but I installed the alpha on a laptop since it supported the hardware better then any other distro out there. I gotta say that while there are still a couple of annoying things (the alt-tab switcher is really dumb), it's *vastly* better on 11.10 then on 11.04.

Comment

Unity was great on a netbook in 11.04, in my opinion.. Sure, the Desktop users didn't like it so much, but I thought it was pretty nice..

Glad to hear it's even better in 11.10.. Going to install the 11.10 Beta on my netbook tonight.

Comment

I installed it on my laptop today. It's a bit buggy but not as bad as beta1. Unity is still slow and akward to use though, it feels like they spent most of the time adding graphical effects rather than making it actually useful.

Comment

I hated Unity for two weeks after 11.04, then realized that it's tons useful and 11.10 improvements to it are really nice. I hope more work went into stability though, sometimes it does quirk up.

Comment

I had my first significant go on unity only last week when I tried the first ubuntu 11.10 beta. I hate the pop up dock and the way the menus on the top are invisible till your point on them. It also felt a little sluggish which could well get fixed on release. Yet overall I thought it was OK I prefer the latest gnome shell beta but unity's a nice alternative and has lots of good ideas. Like gnome shell you just hit the super key and type what you want to load. The menu is very pretty and nicely organized, complete with download suggestions. I love the huge icons much more than I thought I would too. They make my screen feel massive.

Comment

Swapped in a clean hard drive to test beta2 install on my laptop. (keeping my SSD on 10.10)
              I like the additional menu options in the upper right pulldown menus. Don't really need the 3d Unity effects so probably will stick with Unity 2d.

Comment

Working...
              X