Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At Long Last, CentOS 6.0 ISOs Finally Surface

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • At Long Last, CentOS 6.0 ISOs Finally Surface

    Phoronix: At Long Last, CentOS 6.0 ISOs Finally Surface

    Since the release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.0, 242 days have passed. Additionally, 129 days have passed since the release of Scientific Linux 6.0, which is one of the popular community rebuilds of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.0 source packages. Only today, however, is CentOS 6.0 ISOs beginning to surface...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTY1NA

  • #2
    I can't believe it, finally!
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

    Comment


    • #3
      Download it from bittorrent and keep uploading or the whole internet will come down :P There is so many people waiting for this.

      Comment


      • #4
        I never understood what the big deal was with centOS. I was forced to install it and found it to be like fedora (and obviously red hat) but broken...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by _txf_ View Post
          I never understood what the big deal was with centOS. I was forced to install it and found it to be like fedora (and obviously red hat) but broken...
          are you using CentOS in a corporate/enterprise environment on servers or as youre Linux Desktop???

          if you tried to use it a desktop, i really don't understand the logic. but in the workplace it's great. you have years and years of security/updates (like 7yrs i think). you need not rebuild the kernel to add in other modules, it's much more stable for servers and infrastructure than Fedora and you are getting a clone of RHEL ~ for free, no licensing costs.

          it's a win win...

          Comment


          • #6
            booyah!

            I have been waiting for this. i have 2 new servers that aren't in production yet, and i thought i would have to use 5.6, becuase this release was nowhere to be found!

            awesome news

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ninez View Post
              are you using CentOS in a corporate/enterprise environment on servers or as youre Linux Desktop???

              if you tried to use it a desktop, i really don't understand the logic. but in the workplace it's great. you have years and years of security/updates (like 7yrs i think). you need not rebuild the kernel to add in other modules, it's much more stable for servers and infrastructure than Fedora and you are getting a clone of RHEL ~ for free, no licensing costs.

              it's a win win...
              It is in a kind of workstation. However in this particular case having recent packages would been really beneficial (plus few irritations would have been fixed by a modern kernel). I was unable to convince others of that fact...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ninez View Post
                if you tried to use it a desktop, i really don't understand the logic
                To some vendors, RHEL basically is Linux, and their products are packaged and tested accordingly. Others are open-minded enough to include the SUSE Enterprise desktop distros as well.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by _txf_ View Post
                  It is in a kind of workstation. However in this particular case having recent packages would been really beneficial (plus few irritations would have been fixed by a modern kernel). I was unable to convince others of that fact...
                  ahh, i see. what sort of applications do you use on this workstation? out of curiousity..

                  for me the new packages thing isn't a huge deal. if i want some peice of software that isn't available or is too old- i compile it myself, it's a little more work, but being as my distro of choice (for my main desktop) is ArchLinux - compiling software isn't a big deal.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by _txf_ View Post
                    I never understood what the big deal was with centOS. I was forced to install it and found it to be like fedora (and obviously red hat) but broken...
                    As a desktop, it's not particularly good - mostly because slow release cycles mean that it runs older versions of software than desktop-oriented distros like Ubuntu or Fedora. It's not a *bad* desktop, mind you - just a little dated...

                    But as a cheaper clone of RedHat, it's popular as a platform for enterprise development - it's a supported platform for things like Oracle's database and app servers, so the developers run everything on CentOS knowing that the customer can run the equivalent RedHat release to get their paid support...

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X